• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It's funny you say that about the B&O. I was seriously looking at stepping up to the Platinum, the the B&O unLeashed system made me rethink my choice. That option alone is gong to save me 10k+ by going Lariat instead.
Are the newer F150 speakers really that bad? (Static, distortion, unintelligible) I see so many people talking about how they need the Platinum for the sound system and that even that one isn't good enough.

Given I am happy with the base sound system in my 2016 XLT, will I have a concern?
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I've read mixed reviews of the unleashed system and some say it's worse than the standard B&O. It may not be as big of a compromise as you think.
I have the unLeashed in my '21 Lariat. Noticed I capitalized "Leashed", because that is what it is. Terrible sound stage and muddy mids and highs. The regular B&O in my wife's Edge Titanium sounds so much better. It's the only option I wish I didn't pay for.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Are the newer F150 speakers really that bad? (Static, distortion, unintelligible) I see so many people talking about how they need the Platinum for the sound system and that even that one isn't good enough.

Given I am happy with the base sound system in my 2016 XLT, will I have a concern?
I don't think you'll have a concern coming from a standard system. To me, the biggest issue is all the sound comes from the dash. You get no stereo effects whatsoever in either stereo or surround mode.

My best description is it sounds like a single bookshelf speaker is sitting on the dash with the subwoofer behind you.

Don't let the "18 speaker" description fool you. The two in the headliner and the other two in the headrest are gimmicky and don't produce enough sound to make a difference.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I thought I was gonna miss B&O Unleashed by not going Plat but I've read and watched a lot of reviews that says it's mediocre at best. Most likely I'll be doing something to the sound system eventually anyway.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I don't think you'll have a concern coming from a standard system. To me, the biggest issue is all the sound comes from the dash. You get no stereo effects whatsoever in either stereo or surround mode.
It's the same thing with the top-level Harman-Kardon system in our Ram 1500 Limited. All the sound comes from the center of the dash and I wish we hadn't paid for the upgrade. Our other vehicle has a Meridian system that sounds infinitely better even though it has 3 fewer speakers.

I'll be happy with the sound of the standard B&O system. Don't forget the (probably negligible) benefit of lower power consumption than the unleashed system.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I don't know if it's just source or what, but I think my Unleashed sounds great. I only use it with CarPlay, which has a high bitrate codec on its own, and I only use high bitrate source audio. I have heard people say from Sirius it sounds bad, but I don't think I have had SIrius on once since I got my truck.

I agree it is a bit "muddy" at times if listening to something that has heavier bass to begin with, but otherwise I think it's pretty good. While my truck was in for the APIM replacement they had me in a '22 (or '21? whatever) Edge SEL and its audio system was a good 10 steps back from mine with the same audio source. Getting my truck back and cranking up the Kidz Bop for the drive to school with the kids the next day was like a whole different experience.

That said, I haven't heard the standard B&O on the current gen F-150. The standard B&O was good enough in my 2019, but I think the current B&O (non-Unleashed) isn't at the same level as that one in terms of speakers or subwoofer, but I could be wrong.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I don't know if it's just source or what, but I think my Unleashed sounds great.
Source, at least in my case, is irrelevant. I can listen to the same source in my 2021 Lariat or my wife's 2020 Edge. The Edge beats it hands down.

I've been driving the Edge back and forth to work putting miles on it. Now I have to go back to the truck and I'm actually dreading it for this very reason.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Note sure if this was pasted anywhere in this thread but here is where the Drive Electric Columbus YouTube channel recorded the whole live stream:

Sponsored