Sponsored

F150 Hybrid Towing Range?

Thisisme01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited
I'm looking at replacing my 2018 limited with a 2021 Hybrid Limited and am wondering if anyone has any input/knowledge on what to expect for range when towing? I understand Ford is marketing a range of "at least 700 miles" for the Hybrid, which is greater than the advertised range for my 2018 but I wonder if that increased range will be similar when towing as I would suspect the Hybrid's impact is less noticeable with a 6500lb trailer behind it. With the fuel tank on the hybrid being 15% smaller than on the current limited (30.6 vs 36 gallons) , my concern would be that the range I'll get towing my travel trailer may be less than I'm getting now or do you think the Hybrid will still aid in range even under heavy load?

Some math:

The current non hybrid F150 limited is EPA rated at 19mpg combined, with my travel trailer I get about 9.8mpg average, so out of a 36 gallon tank I can theoretically get 352.8 miles of range. If the new Hybrid limited gets 700 miles on it’s 30.6 gallon tank, that would be a rating of 22.9mpg. To get the same 352.8 miles of range with the Hybrid’s smaller tank, I would need to get 11.5mpg when towing.
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I'm looking at replacing my 2018 limited with a 2021 Hybrid Limited and am wondering if anyone has any input/knowledge on what to expect for range when towing? I understand Ford is marketing a range of "at least 700 miles" for the Hybrid, which is greater than the advertised range for my 2018 but I wonder if that increased range will be similar when towing as I would suspect the Hybrid's impact is less noticeable with a 6500lb trailer behind it. With the fuel tank on the hybrid being 15% smaller than on the current limited (30.6 vs 36 gallons) , my concern would be that the range I'll get towing my travel trailer may be less than I'm getting now or do you think the Hybrid will still aid in range even under heavy load?

Some math:

The current non hybrid F150 limited is EPA rated at 19mpg combined, with my travel trailer I get about 9.8mpg average, so out of a 36 gallon tank I can theoretically get 352.8 miles of range. If the new Hybrid limited gets 700 miles on it’s 30.6 gallon tank, that would be a rating of 22.9mpg. To get the same 352.8 miles of range with the Hybrid’s smaller tank, I would need to get 11.5mpg when towing.
That is a very good question.

My feelings on it is yes. Electric motors are very high in torque, more so than most gas motors. The electric motors would be helping the gas motor in the high torque requirements reducing the amount of fuel needed for the gas motor.

I would think the percentage improvement would carry over to the towing work. After all you will have the same gas motor but your output power is around 40 more hp and 100 more ft lb torque without using more fuel, there would have to be an improvement.

Just me thinking out loud. LOL

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Fuel mileage and range are very driver dependent, and no engine has been a better example of this than the 3.5L EcoBoost. It is capable of returning very respectable fuel mileage numbers, but most people complain they don't get any better mileage than the V-8's they gave up because the engine begs to be flogged. It is fun to accelerate with all that low end torque. If you can drive it like there is an egg under the pedal, it isn't near as fun, but it gets better fuel mileage.

The same behavior will likely describe PowerBoost mileage / range. It will get better mileage and range both towing at max trailer weight or completely unloaded only if you drive it like there is an egg under the pedal. If you bask in the glory of what 575 ft-lb of low end torque feels like at every stop light, and accelerate at wide open throttle with your 12,000 lb trailer in tow, you're going to get the same fuel mileage as a non-hybrid 3.5L Ecoboost. But if you are able to stay out of wide open throttle, and learn to modulate the throttle pedal to let the electric motor's instantaneous torque get your truck and trailer rolling from the stop light, you will notice much better fuel mileage.

I absolutely believe the clutch/motor drive system is designed to allow the hybrid motor to help whether from a stand still or half way up a 6% grade, but if you stomp on the loud pedal you're still going to be burning the same amount of fuel as a standard 3.5L Ecoboost.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fuel mileage and range are very driver dependent, and no engine has been a better example of this than the 3.5L EcoBoost. It is capable of returning very respectable fuel mileage numbers, but most people complain they don't get any better mileage than the V-8's they gave up because the engine begs to be flogged. It is fun to accelerate with all that low end torque. If you can drive it like there is an egg under the pedal, it isn't near as fun, but it gets better fuel mileage.

The same behavior will likely describe PowerBoost mileage / range. It will get better mileage and range both towing at max trailer weight or completely unloaded only if you drive it like there is an egg under the pedal. If you bask in the glory of what 575 ft-lb of low end torque feels like at every stop light, and accelerate at wide open throttle with your 12,000 lb trailer in tow, you're going to get the same fuel mileage as a non-hybrid 3.5L Ecoboost. But if you are able to stay out of wide open throttle, and learn to modulate the throttle pedal to let the electric motor's instantaneous torque get your truck and trailer rolling from the stop light, you will notice much better fuel mileage.

I absolutely believe the clutch/motor drive system is designed to allow the hybrid motor to help whether from a stand still or half way up a 6% grade, but if you stomp on the loud pedal you're still going to be burning the same amount of fuel as a standard 3.5L Ecoboost.
I agree with you on that, I averaged great mileage on my 13, 15, and 18 Eco motors and loved them. I would hear of some folks complaining about only getting 15 mpg in mostly hwy. I could not understand that at all. I average 15 mpg pulling my 18 foot tandem Ranger Bass boat with a 150 on it and tons of stuff in the boat. I average 19 just running around town and hwy. I can easily get 22 straight hwy and that is with 36 gal 4X4 crew cab.

I'm a fairly easy driver but I do the speed limits mostly and I really don't drive like I have an egg on the pedal but I don't stomp it either, well, not very often anyway. You have to play with it some. Lol

When I see a red light, I let off the gas and coast, my wife on the other hand acts like she doesn't even see the redlight and waits till the last moment and then it's hard breaking. That can make a big difference too.

I have a Dodge Hellcat as my play thing, it can get 25 hwy easily or you can empty the tank in 13 minutes. Like you say driving technique can make a very big difference.

I've owned 4 hybrids over the years and actually enjoyed watching the displays and figuring out what yielded the best break regeneration and mpgs. After I saw what made the biggest difference then that became my driving style.

OP
OP

Thisisme01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited
Thanks for the replies.. Definitely agree that it comes down to driving habits, but driving habits being equal, the mpg increase and ultimately additional range offered by the hybrid (despite the smaller tank size) should be applicable when towing. I'll wait for official word on this but I would agree that they've designed the system to work this way. Would be great to see another 1-2mpg and a bit more range when towing. Either way, having the ability to plug in and run the trailers AC using the trucks on board gen is a sweet bonus.

Sponsored

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
I am curious about the payload #'s for the powerboost. I would assume that these are going to come out pretttty soon

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
My guess would be flat land, steady towing the mileage is going to be the same between EccoBoost and PowerBoost (mostly a steady aerodynamic drag, minimal regen help)

Where I’m thinking (hoping?) the PowerBoost will really show a difference is in the hills, where regen should act as an engine brake downhill and give a nice full battery for assisting up the next.

Re: payload, from the order sheets people have posted, the hybrid has a 7350# GVWR vs 7000# for the 2020. So with an allowance for the smaller gas tank, there should be about ~400lbs to play with for hybrid gear, which I’m hoping is enough for the hybrid to be roughly flat with 2020 3.5L payload....

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I am curious about the payload #'s for the powerboost. I would assume that these are going to come out pretttty soon
Yeah, it would be nice to know before I pick it up at the dealership. Lol

Forrest

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired

Some math:

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone knowledgeable as to what differential ratios are available with the PowerBoost motor?

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I believe it is 3.55 for 2wd, and 3.73 for 4wd, with no other optional choices.

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Was hoping for option of 3.55 on 4x4. No plans for towing at this time.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks. Was hoping for option of 3.55 on 4x4. No plans for towing at this time.
You and me both, I would have preferred the 3.55 to get 25 or 26 mpg on the highway, and would have been fine with the small hit in tow rating, but they decided we don't get to vote. Maybe the Ford product planners are democrats...oops, too soon?
Sponsored