Gearhead!

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
That was an interesting read. I have to wonder if the battery state of charge on the Powerboost (which is pretty small and can quickly be depleted from driving on electric and/or a long idle time) makes a difference in its acceleration. Can the total system output Ford quotes be achieved all the time or is it just a 3.5 ecoboost pulling around extra weight when the battery is dead?

Also, have to say this isn’t the first time I’ve heard that GM programmed the 10 speed better, and I have to agree. I test drove a 6.2 AT4 Sierra recently and the 10 speed was much more unobtrusive than it is in the Fords. It just did its thing quietly and in the background, and I never caught it sleeping. The 6.2 and the trans performance did have me thinking of cancelling my order for a few seconds, but I really can’t stand the interior at that price point. The F-150 just feels more worth it’s price in fit and finish, as well as just feeling like a more solid truck overall.

Also lol at the Ram being rated the best for towing despite having a low payload rating

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I think part of the reason is Ford's trans are awful for media reviews because of adaptive learning (rough shifting while learning or adapted to previous reviewer). Still don't doubt gm can tune them better.

Battery should never be fully depleted I don't think. It wouldn't make sense for ford to ever completely cycle/drain the battery for longevity and power reasons.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Looks like Ford screwed up by not sending motor trend a truck with a towing package.
Probably one of the worst written and thought-out comparison test from MotorTrend in decades. Loaded horse trailer towing 7-8,000 lbs? Shifting loads that’s for 3/4 ton super duty 1/2 ton only short distances good weather. Non-standardized with different horses so one data point not much else. We all know Ram interior more like an Audi than a truck, it’s awesome. And the point about adaptive shift logic right on.
If you don’t tow at high altitude over 10,000 foot passes you really can’t miss with all three trucks. They invest huge $ in development. Throw in high altitude and the turbo F-150 wins, it’s not even close.

Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Did I read this right? The gmc needs premium gas? Insane and no thank you.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
If someone is dropping new truck cash, why does an extra few bucks a tank matter? Premium would only cost a few hundred bucks more per year to run vs regular. Not a big delta at all.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
If someone is dropping new truck cash, why does an extra few bucks a tank matter? Premium would only cost a few hundred bucks more per year to run vs regular. Not a big delta at all.
That's a relative/subjective point. If you drive 500 miles a month, around here, it's ~ 50c more a day depending on your gas taxes (20% premium here). But the more you drive the more that delta increases. For me, it's about $2.75 a day. That's an extra $85 a month in ownership costs of the truck. I could say more on 'why' it matters, but I would be getting even more off topic.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Battery should never be fully depleted I don't think. It wouldn't make sense for ford to ever completely cycle/drain the battery for longevity and power reasons.
I was really curious about this so I went looking. You’re right that it’s never actually drained that far, but as far as the truck is concerned there is a “depleted” value that is above a certain % battery charge. And checking Ford literature for the Powerboost it says that power numbers are “Calculated via combined performance of the engine and electric motor(s) with peak battery power. The calculations utilize SAE J1349® engine results and Ford electric motor dyno testing. Your results may vary.”

That tells me that battery state of charge does make a difference in power output and therefore acceleration. So at times it really can be a normal 3.5 carrying around extra weight instead of getting electric assistance

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
That's a relative/subjective point. If you drive 500 miles a month, around here, it's ~ 50c more a day depending on your gas taxes (20% premium here). But the more you drive the more that delta increases. For me, it's about $2.75 a day. That's an extra $85 a month in ownership costs of the truck. I could say more on 'why' it matters, but I would be getting even more off topic.
Totally get it. Not trying to derail this thread. Just surprised to hear the concern when we are talking about $60k trucks is all.

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Before pulling the trigger on my Powerboost XLT, I tested a normal 3.5 EB and PB back to back. Hammered both pretty hard to maybe 45-50, in sport mode, and they really did feel about the same to me as well. I was surprised at the time, but it does make sense as the 30hp difference isn't that great, and it's likely largely offset by the additional weight of the hybrid system.

I was actually leaning toward the 3.5 initially, but decided to go with the Powerboost for the Fuel economy and extra torque. Additionally the PB had the FX4, 360 camera, and 7.2 Power on board. Selection was very limited then and I also preferred the Antimatter blue of the PB to the Red of the 3.5. Both were about the same price, but the 3.5 was a Lariat with a much nicer interior. Tough call, but I'm happy with the Blue PB so far.

Last edited:

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
I just got rid of my 6.2l GMC that took premium gas. Tow a decent size RV around at 10mpg and the premium gas really adds up fast. I couldn't wait to get rid of it and buy regular.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think being able to use Regular gas is really nice. Around me, the cost difference can me more than 50 cents per gallon. My wife's Tahoe uses Regular. And while the mileage is pretty crappy, being able to use Regular makes up for a lot.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
My 15 6.2L Chev did indeed need premiumto run properly....without it would ping badly.
Some guys say they run regular....I couldn't.
Premium is "recommended " in owners manual.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Actually i only got my new F150 to tow my new Jayco Trailer (picking up on Wednesday finally!!) which weighs 7,000lbs loaded at 30Feet.

I suspect that this is going to be BRUTAL on mileage. Spent the entire week trying to rack on t he mileage to break in the truck, and now i hit over 1,000kms in a week!.. In two weeks i will be doing 4,000kms trip in Canada, so premium is going to hurt, if i had to. Now that i read into i think i might have no choice but to run premium.

Note, i am coming from driving a 2018 Nissan Leaf which costed 0 in gas LOL! And my 2018 Odyessy which i returned a day after i picked up my F150 on July 30th, was not too shabby on gas either!..
Sponsored