F150 2021

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 highlander, 2007 Ranger
Pretty sure this button turns auto start/stop off...
Ford F-150 F150 2021 F6D83CA9-174B-4D7F-9B26-76F7523E788A
Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I guess everyone that hate's the auto start/stop would never own a Powerboost because it does it all the time

biggs

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Teacher
Ok so I see nothing but hate all over these forums for auto stop/start, but it has always been one of my favorite things to know I'm not wasting gas. What is all the hate for? I'm sure there is a valid reason, it just may not be something that occurs to me. It seems very hated given folks have bought devices to disable it!

My only complaint would be that the A/C compressor can't run without the engine. Other than that, my gripe on the feature is that if you only inch forward before stopping again (like in a drive thru) it won't auto-stop. You have to go like minimum 5mph and then stop. I just hate polluting and ruining my MPG rating when the engine idles.

Genuinely curious!
It seems like the same pushback some of us felt the first time driving a Prius. (Stop at intersection... engine shuts off... immediate feeling of profound loss... my car just died!!) It goes against our “feeling” of what a vehicle should and should not do. As a Prius owner (in my case), I have long since got used to the engine stop. And I love it for reasons you’ve stated (feeling of not wasting MPG). I hadn’t expected it in my new truck, but was excited to have it! I’ve seen arguments against it along the lines of “decreased battery life”, but I’ve always felt if one variable doesn’t get you, another will.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
I guess everyone that hate's the auto start/stop would never own a Powerboost because it does it all the time
I recently watched a video of a guy with a 21 Ranger who disabled his stop start by unplugging a red wire at the battery. That was it. No cost or trouble opting for the option of buying the after market hack and installing it.

Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I recently watched a video of a guy with a 21 Ranger who disabled his stop start by unplugging a red wire at the battery. That was it. No cost or trouble opting for the option of buying the after market hack and installing it.
Do that and you will generate a error/fault.
Just trading one annoyance for another.
FORSCAN is your best option to disable if it bothers you that much.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
Do that and you will generate a error/fault.
Just trading one annoyance for another.
FORSCAN is your best option to disable if it bothers you that much.
Are you sure?

The guy in the video had no issues. Drove his truck after unplugging this wire and Stop - Start never came back on. No faults.

It would bother me for a few reasons.

1 It gets hot where I live and the AC cuts off when you're at a light.
2 The incessant starting is going to burn the starter out.
3. Im planning on buying a diesel. At times its best to leave them idling.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Are you sure?

The guy in the video had no issues. Drove his truck after unplugging this wire and Stop - Start never came back on. No faults.

It would bother me for a few reasons.

1 It gets hot where I live and the AC cuts off when you're at a light.
2 The incessant starting is going to burn the starter out.
3. Im planning on buying a diesel. At times its best to leave them idling.
I wouldn't swear to it in court, but the video you're referring to is on a Ranger. Error codes were mentioned in the comments on that video. There are countless differences between a Ranger and a 2021 F150. If it was that simple on a 2021 F150, we'd all be doing it. ;)

Try it yourself. Worse case scenario is you get errors, simply reconnect. No harm.

I agree about having the AC cutoff will suck in any hot climate. I haven't had the opportunity to run my AC yet (except to verify it works). I also agree on the diesel idling.

I personally can't justify the cost of a FORSCAN module over just simply pushing the button on the dash every time I start my truck, or right after it auto-stops the first time when I forget on startup.

If you try it, please report back here to share your results.

Last edited:

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
My Powerboost is in-between. In Sport mode the engine will stop when at a full stop with foot on the brake but it immediately restarts when removing my foot from the brake. In other modes it will not restart until I hit the gas.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Auto Start/Stop has been in use for roughly 10 years now by many manufacturers. Some longer, some shorter, but from searching, almost everyone was using it no later than 2015 MY. If it killed the starter faster, why doesn't there seem to be a ton of media reports on it? I'm sure there's a higher likelihood of failure, but the starters are also designed to operate more as well.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Auto Start/Stop has been in use for roughly 10 years now by many manufacturers. Some longer, some shorter, but from searching, almost everyone was using it no later than 2015 MY. If it killed the starter faster, why doesn't there seem to be a ton of media reports on it? I'm sure there's a higher likelihood of failure, but the starters are also designed to operate more as well.
Plus the started is a beefed up version since they went with the auto start/stop. I don't think that is a weak link.
Sponsored