First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L V8
Occupation
Correction Officer I
There's a lot of confusion about offsets and tires, and I got some hard answers today that will clear up a LOT of things for most of us. Here's my example and facts :

A Our F150's come with factory (all models) rims set at +44 offset (positive offset moves tire 'towards' hub, away from fender)

B. Factory tires (measuring from tread) start off about 3/4 inside fender itself - this is super-important if you're trying to determine what 'offset' you need to make your new rims and tires flush or 'stick out'. (I measured this on a 2021 f150 myself)

C. Generally accepted terms speaking, "Aggressive" look is about 0.5-1.5 inches sticking out, and "Super Aggressive" is 1.5 inches and up

Real Case Scenario (me)

My rims : Going from factory 20" pvd chrome 8.5" wide to 9" wide RBP 94R Chrome Wheels

Goal : Aggressive look - stick out about an inch. Here's how the math works :

1. New rim is 9" wide, not 8.5", so that's 1/2 in wider - HOWEVER, you must divide that in half because it pushes the rim 1/4 inch inside and 1/4 outside (widens both ways)

So I start off 1/4 inch further out. So with an equal +44 offset rim, I'm sitting 1/4 inch out, still about 1/2 inch inside fender (remember 3/4" default inset explained above)

2. Need to determine offset - my rim comes in many different offsets. If I go +44 offset, I stay at 1/2" inside fender, but I would like to be about 3/4-1" outside for a slightly aggressive look.

So I choose a +0 offset rim. The difference here is going from +44 to +0, which is 44mm, which equals 1.73 inches.

Since after step one I was 1/2 inch INSIDE the fender, this now moves me about 1.25" OUTSIDE the fender - which is rougly my goal.

According to "Trevor" at RimzOne, where I purchased my rims, he says that despite all this math - it' s not perfect science, and that it's always a little more inset than the math says. He says that with going with this 9" rim and 9" wide tire, there's no way I can get close to 2" out - my only fear. He says I'll actually look about 1" out total, my goal. I asked about 2021 trucks having a possible wider default stance than 2015-2020 (unconfirmed) and he says they've done 2021's and yes, what he's saying is accurate and with my choices I will end up 1" out. - my goal. Assures me I won't need to return them if he's wrong - but that of course I can.

What I need to be careful about - I can put up to 12.5" tires on these 9" rims, and that would change the width - another factor... but I'm not, I'm going with 9" nitto ridge grapplers, keeping it around 33" (like factory) on total width, which according to RDP, will be perfect to what I'm after.

Summary : Lot of 'moving parts' in figuring out offsets related to reaching your goal, and one thing hardly mentioned is how far in the original tire starts at - which is about 3/4 inch inside to begin with - so you HAVE to keep that in mind once you start your wheel math. If Ford trucks had a +25 offset, they'd be flush with fender, but they're +44.

Assuming all things flush, here's a calculator that can be handy : https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

My Tires : https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-ridge-grappler
My Rims : https://rimzoneonline.com/catalog/p...0x9-rbp-94r-chrome-w/black-inserts-6x135-0mm/

My Tire Choice/Research : I considered Toyo's over Grapplers, but after watching videos and research, I found that the Grapplers last a little longer, ride less noisy, and ride a little smoother than the Toyo's, and the 'look' is about mostly the same. If I was going 4x4 country all the time, I'd give Toya a slight edge. Also a good tire (and even slighly better ride) would be Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires, and Continentals are about $50/tire cheaper.
Great information, because I knew there was a measurement missing, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I was carry is about the wheel size on the 2021 FX4 wheel and this is what I found:

Ford F-150 2021 5.0 Ti
– Generation: XIV [2020 .. 2022] [USDM] " data-original-title="Pickup Extended Cab " data-trigger="click" data-placement="bottom" data-html="true" style="color: rgb(190, 62, 29);"> " data-original-title="Pickup Double Cab " data-trigger="click" data-placement="bottom" data-html="true" style="color: rgb(190, 62, 29);"> " data-original-title="Pickup Regular Cab " data-trigger="click" data-placement="bottom" data-html="true" style="color: rgb(190, 62, 29);">
– Power: 400 hp | 298 kW | 405 PS
– Engine: 5.0L, V8, Petrol
– Options: XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch, Platinum
– Center Bore: 87.1 mm
– PCD: 6x135
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
– Torque: 204 Nm
– Thread Size: M14 x 1.5
– Trim Production: [2020 .. 2021]

" title="Tire" style="cursor: pointer;">TireRim" data-original-title="" data-placement="bottom" title="Wheel Calculator" class="_popover" style="cursor: pointer;">
245/70R17 110T7.5Jx17 ET44
265/70R17 115T7.5Jx17 ET44
265/60R18 110T7.5Jx18 ET34
275/65R18 116T7.5Jx18 ET44
275/60R20 115T8.5Jx20 ET44
LT265/70R17 6PR7.5Jx17 ET44
LT265/70R18 6PR8.5Jx18 ET44
275/50R22 115T9Jx22 ET44
... now the 2021 F150 Lariat Sport Appearance FX4 Off-Road Package Max Tow Package comes with 275/65R18. According the chart, my wheels are 7.5Jx18. So, first question would be, am I still starting out with 3/4” inside the fender? With the diameter only be 7.5, it’s going to change my math.

I need to do some research, now I got the math to figure out what size I need. Want an Aggressive look, want to be out no more than 1.5” outside the fender, max 1.75” outside the fender. Anything over two inches will probably get me in trouble for sticking out to far, and the farther out you are, the more your tire is going to pivot instead of turning. Which isn’t good for the tires, suspension and turning electronics. Looking at Fuel Rebel 6, 18x8.5 or 18x9 Bronze and Black Outer Ring and tires, looking at some NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER G2 Tires, maybe something around 295/70R18.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost

Smroepe

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport SuperCrew
This is such a helpful thread. Going for the same look it sounds like many of us are. Aggressive but not silly looking. Thanks for this! I’ll post pics when I’m done.

Sponsored

Smroepe

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport SuperCrew
So not to hijack this thread but can we talk about tire size for a min?
Does 275/60/r20 = 33x12.5xr20? I understand that the latter is for “Light Trucks” and are heavier/pricier. I’m just wondering if I should stick with the OEM tire size (275/60/r20) or try to go a little bigger along with my 20x9-0 offset wheels to get that 1-2” “aggressive” stance. Thanks!

Saxt15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT Sport SE
So not to hijack this thread but can we talk about tire size for a min?
Does 275/60/r20 = 33x12.5xr20? I understand that the latter is for “Light Trucks” and are heavier/pricier. I’m just wondering if I should stick with the OEM tire size (275/60/r20) or try to go a little bigger along with my 20x9-0 offset wheels to get that 1-2” “aggressive” stance. Thanks!
I'm also in this boat. I have 20x9 +1 offset wheels. Trying to decide between 285/60R20 and 275/60R20 to avoid any rubbing issues, but also wondering if either will make that much of a visual appearance.

Tillster95

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Occupation
Nurse
Great info super helpful @satexas one question is your truck stock without a leveling kit? Or do you have it leveled? Did they rub?

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
There's a lot of confusion about offsets and tires, and I got some hard answers today that will clear up a LOT of things for most of us. Here's my example and facts :

A Our F150's come with factory (all models) rims set at +44 offset (positive offset moves tire 'towards' hub, away from fender)

B. Factory tires (measuring from tread) start off about 3/4 inside fender itself - this is super-important if you're trying to determine what 'offset' you need to make your new rims and tires flush or 'stick out'. (I measured this on a 2021 f150 myself)

C. Generally accepted terms speaking, "Aggressive" look is about 0.5-1.5 inches sticking out, and "Super Aggressive" is 1.5 inches and up

Real Case Scenario (me)

My rims : Going from factory 20" pvd chrome 8.5" wide to 9" wide RBP 94R Chrome Wheels

Goal : Aggressive look - stick out about an inch. Here's how the math works :

1. New rim is 9" wide, not 8.5", so that's 1/2 in wider - HOWEVER, you must divide that in half because it pushes the rim 1/4 inch inside and 1/4 outside (widens both ways)

So I start off 1/4 inch further out. So with an equal +44 offset rim, I'm sitting 1/4 inch out, still about 1/2 inch inside fender (remember 3/4" default inset explained above)

2. Need to determine offset - my rim comes in many different offsets. If I go +44 offset, I stay at 1/2" inside fender, but I would like to be about 3/4-1" outside for a slightly aggressive look.

So I choose a +0 offset rim. The difference here is going from +44 to +0, which is 44mm, which equals 1.73 inches.

Since after step one I was 1/2 inch INSIDE the fender, this now moves me about 1.25" OUTSIDE the fender - which is rougly my goal.

According to "Trevor" at RimzOne, where I purchased my rims, he says that despite all this math - it' s not perfect science, and that it's always a little more inset than the math says. He says that with going with this 9" rim and 9" wide tire, there's no way I can get close to 2" out - my only fear. He says I'll actually look about 1" out total, my goal. I asked about 2021 trucks having a possible wider default stance than 2015-2020 (unconfirmed) and he says they've done 2021's and yes, what he's saying is accurate and with my choices I will end up 1" out. - my goal. Assures me I won't need to return them if he's wrong - but that of course I can.

What I need to be careful about - I can put up to 12.5" tires on these 9" rims, and that would change the width - another factor... but I'm not, I'm going with 9" nitto ridge grapplers, keeping it around 33" (like factory) on total width, which according to RDP, will be perfect to what I'm after.

Summary : Lot of 'moving parts' in figuring out offsets related to reaching your goal, and one thing hardly mentioned is how far in the original tire starts at - which is about 3/4 inch inside to begin with - so you HAVE to keep that in mind once you start your wheel math. If Ford trucks had a +25 offset, they'd be flush with fender, but they're +44.

Assuming all things flush, here's a calculator that can be handy : https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

My Tires : https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-ridge-grappler
My Rims : https://rimzoneonline.com/catalog/p...0x9-rbp-94r-chrome-w/black-inserts-6x135-0mm/

My Tire Choice/Research : I considered Toyo's over Grapplers, but after watching videos and research, I found that the Grapplers last a little longer, ride less noisy, and ride a little smoother than the Toyo's, and the 'look' is about mostly the same. If I was going 4x4 country all the time, I'd give Toya a slight edge. Also a good tire (and even slighly better ride) would be Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires, and Continentals are about $50/tire cheaper.

I am a little new to looking at these things and maybe I am misunderstanding something but why would wheel width affect final poke? Since the tire width is wider, should it only matter what the tire width is and what the offset it?

Caseyzzz

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Here's a 'real world' example sent from RBP with my tires, and exact wheel measurements (20x9 with 9" tires and +0 offset)

PVXV5140.PNG
Any more photos of your truck you can share? This is the exact look I’m going for. What size Ko2s? Thanks!
Sponsored