F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
GM interior is much improved....and it needed it.
GM doesn't have an engine I want....had the 6.2L already and refuse to run premium for less mpg(nice power tho).
The diesel would be my only choice but don't want a diesel.
Gas tank is pathetically small on the GM.
My last GM was littered with rust spots after a year,gravel driving and lots of salt in winter are a bad combination.
Looks are subjective....I like the looks of the GM.
Overall engine choice,small gas tank and aluminum body....big reasons why I bought another F150.
Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
FINALLY got a chance to drive both. The Chevy was a 22+ Trail Boss (I think a Custom TB, slightly lower version) with 2.7L engine. F150 was 2020 Lariat fully loaded. So hard to really compare amenities.
Both drove fairly similarly IMO. The ford dealer allowed me to test it (it’s a used vehicle obviously) over night so I had a longer time. I didn’t ask Chevy dealer for same option, and only had 30min in my personal schedule.
F150 seemed to have bigger blind spots behind the pillars; didn’t notice that on theChevy.
Chevy had a 2” lift; didn’t notice a big difference to the F150 but not something I’ll get. Chevy also has this black thing on the hood what is strictly for looks (but ends up limiting fwd vis a bit more).
Chevy had cloth seats, Lariat leather. Maybe I’m just used to cloth seats from last 15yrs but I liked the cloth better. Didn’t notice any was better or worse than another (some comment that Chevys are immediately uncomfortable).
360 cameras- man, this is AWESOME! The Chevy didn’t have it so it’s definitely an option I’ll want.
Flex gate vs step- bothseemed to work well. The flex gate step won’t work with a hitch installed but there are still side-step cutouts in their bumpers. Not sure why Ford doesn’t do the same.
Centre console - the Chevy was a 6-seater and I thought it’d centre console was fine. It didn’t have the rear seat centre armrest tho, another option I would really like (it annoys me that XLT which has 99% of everything I want, has no rear seat centre armrest). F150 centre console had the older shifter which was nice; I can see why ppl are hesitant to accept the new fold-down shifter: if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.
Screen: didn’t play with either screens too much but the Chevy one is a little wider and seemed quite nice. I’m sure one can get used to either one soon enough. Again, I’ve had zero screens in cars my entire driving life so not a big deal to me.
Driving: again, they both seemed fine. Turning radius/getting into parking spaces seems equally treacherous on both, lol!

In the end it’ll probably come down to the $$. Ideally I’d like to choose between a f150 XLT payload pkg/FX4 and Chevy LT Duramax with max tow or off-road (non-lift) pkg. Those seem ROUGHLY equal in options, capabilities, and costs.

JimMoran

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 T-Bird, 2020 Explorer ST, 2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
retired
Biggest drawbacks I see— I cannot get snow plow prep on the Silverado, only on the Sierra, it is a $450 option vs $50 on the F150, plus you cannot get an extended range gas tank.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The design of the front of the GM trucks greatly reduces the effectiveness of the headlight to light the road ahead. This has been noted by more than a few truck safety reviews.

With GM you are stuck with a 24 gallon gas tank. No option as with Ford and Ram to get a larger factory gas tank and increasey your driving range. Best in this regard is Ford with its 36 gallon gas tank.

OP
OP
Sergeant Gearhead

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
The design of the front of the GM trucks greatly reduces the effectiveness of the headlight to light the road ahead. This has been noted by more than a few truck safety reviews.

With GM you are stuck with a 24 gallon gas tank. No option as with Ford and Ram to get a larger factory gas tank and increasey your driving range. Best in this regard is Ford with its 36 gallon gas tank.
Yeah, the headlights on the Chevy Silverados arent as large as they are on the F-150. Toyota actually used to offer a 38-gallon tank on the previous-gen Tundra, but the redesigned 2022 have a bit smaller tanks now, ranging from 22.5 to 32.2 gallons. So yeah, the largest gas tank in the half ton truck segment is now the F-150.

Sponsored

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Ford F-150 F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado GMC2018A (1)

This is the best "looking" truck GM ever put out... I don't know what happened post 2018... they just look awful. just awful.....

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i

Yeah, the headlights on the Chevy Silverados arent as large as they are on the F-150. Toyota actually used to offer a 38-gallon tank on the previous-gen Tundra, but the redesigned 2022 have a bit smaller tanks now, ranging from 22.5 to 32.2 gallons. So yeah, the largest gas tank in the half ton truck segment is now the F-150.

The 24 gallon gas tank is exactly why the GM 1500 is not an option for me. I'm not going to enjoy pulling into a gas station every 200 miles to fill up while trailering.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi everyone, SG reporting in.

I got the chance to swing by a Chevy dealer that had a few of the new 2022 Silverados and thought I'd take a look at it to see where it stands against the F-150 and its key rivals.

In my personal opinion, this new Silverado looks a lot easier on the eyes than the pre-facelift model. The new design is a lot more cleaned up, and the overhauled interior is WAY ahead of it's preceding design. I think this update really helped Chevy catch up with Ford, Ram and Toyota.

The models of the Silverado I found were:

A Custom Trail Boss:
IMG_20220509_193627390_HDR.jpg

An LT:
IMG_20220509_193621008.jpg

And a nicer LTZ. (It's also next to the Custom if you didn't notice):
IMG_20220509_193652663_HDR.jpg

Here's a pre-facelift Silverado for reference:
IMG_20220509_193639364.jpg

What are your thoughts? Did Chevy do enough for this update? Or is there something still missing? Let me know what you think!

-SG
My thoughts? Ugly as hell. They will never catch up to Ford. They will struggle to fend off RAM.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
If I had to replace my F150 today, it would be with the 2023 GMC 1500 Denali Ultimate. I like that truck a lot.

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
I think all 3 big 3 offer something unique.
It really comes down to looks for most people as they are all very capable and all have nice interiors. Since 2004 FORD has been in front but after 15 years (2019) is when RAM/GM finally caught up IMO. I dont get too much into brand loyalty as all 3 could give 2 shits if i died tomorrow.

Sponsored

franky16

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
silverado zr2 22 raptor
All the guys on here raving about the aluminum body clearly don't work in the body shop industry. Without going into detail let's just say i'd hardly call it a plus lol

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
When I bought my F-150 in May I had been looking at the various 1500 class trucks from Ram, GM, Ford, and Toyota. I wanted a large gas tank and a real locking rear differential (and not traction control with the brakes applied to the faster spinning wheel). That shortened my list to Ram and Ford.

Ford provides a better V-6 engine as compared to the Ram eTorque engine and Ford provides a better step up tailgate than RAM. Easier to find a F-150 truck on a dealer's lot with the large gas tank, locking differential, and 4WD offroad package.

Seems odd to me that the dealers' people do not order the larger gas tank with a max tow package - go figure. Same applies to the off-road package where one expects to be further from a gas station and getting worse fuel economy when traveling at slower speeds on roads/trails.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
If I had to replace my F150 today, it would be with the 2023 GMC 1500 Denali Ultimate. I like that truck a lot.
I followed through.... Bought the GMC Denali Ultimate last month. I really like the Google system running the infotainment system. The interior equals my old Ram Limited which I thought was better than my Platinum. This is how an exhaust system should look like. Fully integrated into the design.
Ford F-150 F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 20230217_183927~2

OP
OP
Sergeant Gearhead

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I followed through.... Bought the GMC Denali Ultimate last month. I really like the Google system running the infotainment system. The interior equals my old Ram Limited which I thought was better than my Platinum. This is how an exhaust system should look like. Fully integrated into the design.
20230217_183927~2.jpg
Your truck looks great! Did you get the 6.2 V8 or the diesel?

-SG

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
Your truck looks great! Did you get the 6.2 V8 or the diesel?

-SG
I went 6.2l gasser. I had a Ram 2500 diesel in 2014 and it was useful when I was towing. But, I don't want to mess with DEF and smelling like a diesel mechanic after every fillup.
Sponsored