Sponsored

F-150 vs. 2022 Chevrolet Silverado

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
- also like that Chevy has rear-power/vents coming from the center console with 40/20/40 fwd seat interior (whereas you seem to lose this in F150's?)
F150 has vents, and more power options for the back seats. F150s have 2 USB, 12V, and 120V at the rear console. Sierra (and I'm assuming Silverado as well) just has two USB ports. Also the refreshed GM trucks don't have any 12V outlets at all, at least the upper trims with the refreshed interiors anyway. They also only have two 120V outlets. One inside the center console and the other one in the bed.
Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
F150 has vents, and more power options for the back seats. F150s have 2 USB, 12V, and 120V at the rear console. Sierra (and I'm assuming Silverado as well) just has two USB ports. Also the refreshed GM trucks don't have any 12V outlets at all, at least the upper trims with the refreshed interiors anyway. They also only have two 120V outlets. One inside the center console and the other one in the bed.
I know that's the case for F150's with center consoles (5-seat), but is that also the case for 6-seat F150's? When I last checked, I didn't think the 6-seat F150's had dedicated rear vents or USB (and I remember a post on that on this forum or the other one)... but happy to be wrong on that one! I just know that 6-seat Silverado's do have 1 or 2 USB for the rear. Its a small thing in the end.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Yeah. The Tundra was redesigned this year, and from what I've heard, it's a massive improvement over the old one in terms of refinement and technology.
It was, but it's kind'a ugly and they finally "caught up" to 2018 Ford F-150.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Honestly, if it were not for the interior on the Chevy/GMC (prior to update), I may not have waited to order a Gen 14 F-150. It was just so cheap and dated looking, even compared to the Gen 13 F-150, that I just couldn't pull the trigger. I am extremely happy that I waited and the Powerboost has been really pleasing to own/drive. I can't imagine GM doing anything that would get me to switch. The Toyota Tundra is also not impressing me.

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I've looked quite a bit at the 22 Silverado's as well as 22 F150's. For me, its honestly a coin-flip (should I ever decide to buy... put off my purchase plan for the time being as my current vehicles tick-along w/ grumbles).

From what I've read/researched/played with options on-line:
Looks: to each their own, but I think they both look good. Different but good.
Exterior: I really like the Chevy multi-flex gate option. People who have it and reviewed it all rave about it. Seems worth the cost/weight.
- even without the flex-gate, the rear bumpers have steps built-in, whereas the F150 does not.
- I'd heard that GM paint was comparatively bad, but all the year+ rvws on Silverado's have reflected very few complaints (other than rock-chips)

Interior: haven't tried either out in-person but both seem nice. Hear lots of complaints about "GM seats" but having done most office work from wooden kitchen chairs during pandemic, I don't think I'll mind either, lol.
- I like that Chevy offers rear-seat armrest in lower trims than Ford
- F150 rear-area is completely flat, Chevy's have a bump in the middle
- also like that Chevy has rear-power/vents coming from the center console with 40/20/40 fwd seat interior (whereas you seem to lose this in F150's?)
- both Chevy/F150 center console shifters seem gimmicky IMO. Chevy doesn't have a fold-down option but its still electronic.

Mechanics/capability:
- Chevy offers a 4A on lower trims than F150 (minor but ppl seem to really like 4A)
- Chevy's 3.0L Duramax gets RAVE reviews. Its had some hiccups but they seem to have a fix for most of the issues and people love their Duramax. In BC, the cost of diesel fuel is about 10% more than 87 (equal to 91/93); if you take into account DEF & add'l maintenance, the increased mileage makes up the cost difference for the diesel pretty quickly.
- F150 2.7L gets similar RAVE reviews (have't looked at the equivalent on the Chevy)
- F150 PB with 7.2 kwh propower is obviously in a class of its own - that option alone is super-tempting
- Quite a few ppl are concerned on the oil pump belt on Duramax but I think its fine - I work with a lot of similar machinery and I think you'll have wiring/sensor issues that will be FAR greater concern than that belt.
- capability: F150's seem to have slightly higher capacities. Chevy doesn't have its towing guide for 2022 1500's yet, but for 2021, you can spec out a F150 that's a BIT more capable than a Silverado (at similar price-points)
- capacities not-withstanding, some of the other 'niceties' I mention for the Silverado are available at lower trim levels/costs.
- F150's towing feature (using the knob to steer) seems pretty cool & don't believe its an option on the Silverado. Silverado does allow you to get a camera for rear of trailer, which I don't see on the F150
- Both have 360-deg camera & lighting options at the lower-trims, which seem quite useful
- F150's can be selected with max payload AND off-road pkgs; Silverado's cannot (you have to choose an off-road pkg OR max towing pkg, not both)
- even a non-Powerboost F150 has the ProPower option; I couldn't tell what the single outlet in the Silverado's is rated to, but I'm guessing its probably closer to 400W like on the non-Propower F150's)

Overall: its quite hard to compare like-for-like with so many trim/options available on both trucks. Best I could get on pricing comparisons(based on my personal preferences) for 4x4, "SCREW", short-bed and maxing out the payload/towing:
F150 XLT 2.7L w/ payload pkg < Silverado LT w/ diesel/max tow < F150 XLT Powerboost w/ max tow.
Super solid post. Great stuff and very objective.

I’ve always been partial to GM, solely because that’s what my Dad drove and I idolized him. I also think the new interior is very nice. I do have a Silverado EV on order, but who knows how that will proceed.

That being said, I went with the F150 because of the PB option and the Generator. I also get blue cruise without having to sacrifice the max tow package like I do on the Silverado. I am also hoping that my wife learns to use the trailer backup function to build more confidence whilst backing up the boat trailer when retrieving. It was a no brainer based on the power plant and gen alone.

I just hope it gets built soon (12/24 order)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sergeant Gearhead

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Super solid post. Great stuff and very objective.

I’ve always been partial to GM, solely because that’s what my Dad drove and I idolized him. I also the new interior is very nice. I do have a Silverado EV on order, but who knows how that will proceed.

That being said, I went with the F150 because of the PB option and the Generator. I also get blue cruise without having to sacrifice the max tow package like I do on the Silverado. I am also hoping that my wife learns to use the trailer backup function to build more confidence whilst backing up the boat trailer when retrieving. It was a no brainer based on the power plant and gen alone.

I just hope it gets built soon (12/24 order)
Thanks! Best of luck receiving your truck!

-SG

Scrum67

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 EB 3.55 RA
Occupation
Slave
I still can't get over the rear shocks hanging below the rear axle.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
No way i will spwnd that much money on a chevy that will be rusted in 6 yrs.

Shocked RAM and GM refuse to go aluminum.
This. For those that keep their vehicles for a long time, this is a deal breaker.

I like the exteriors; no idea on the interior as I wouldn't ever consider one due to the rust.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
This. For those that keep their vehicles for a long time, this is a deal breaker.

I like the exteriors; no idea on the interior as I wouldn't ever consider one due to the rust.
My 6 y/o GMC Canyon with 103k on it didn't have a spec of rust on the body, and the undercarriage was still cleaner than my brand new 2022 F150. Living in NJ and never garaged.

This F150 is my third truck, and all three have been different makes. Every company is good at some things and poor at others, but there is a lot more parity in the car industry than there used to be. People should buy what they like based on features, looks, and price. No 2022 Silverado/Sierra, Ram, or F150 is going to rust out in six years.

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
In the Midwest I've seen some bubbles on 2015s already.

I'm not too worried about year 6, more concerned with year 10+. My previous vehicle is a 2006 acura that I would've driven for another 5 years if it wasn't rusting. 140k and mechanically sound.

Reactions: J-C

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
My 6 y/o GMC Canyon with 103k on it didn't have a spec of rust on the body, and the undercarriage was still cleaner than my brand new 2022 F150. Living in NJ and never garaged.

This F150 is my third truck, and all three have been different makes. Every company is good at some things and poor at others, but there is a lot more parity in the car industry than there used to be. People should buy what they like based on features, looks, and price. No 2022 Silverado/Sierra, Ram, or F150 is going to rust out in six years.
My view as well. The GMs are much less expensive. And imo the gm engines are superior. As a whole, the f150 is a much better truck cost aside

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
My view as well. The GMs are much less expensive. And imo the gm engines are superior. As a whole, the f150 is a much better truck cost aside
Exactly. It seems like you can get an equivalently optioned Sierra SLT or AT4 for about $10k less MSRP than a Lariat. The Sierra might be missing a few features, but they're probably not deal breakers for most people.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I know that's the case for F150's with center consoles (5-seat), but is that also the case for 6-seat F150's? When I last checked, I didn't think the 6-seat F150's had dedicated rear vents or USB (and I remember a post on that on this forum or the other one)... but happy to be wrong on that one! I just know that 6-seat Silverado's do have 1 or 2 USB for the rear. Its a small thing in the end.
I have 12 volt and USB ports, but no vents. There are vents under the seats for heat. I didn't go for the 120 volt.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
I'm confused. Isn't it the same on ours?
The GM mirrors are mounted to the painted metal doorskins which is BELOW the F150 mount.
Sponsored