Sponsored

F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get??

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I was reading about when and the best time to use eco mode, the bottom line is to use it in the city, low speeds and don’t use heavy acceleration. Normal mode is really used for long trips, higher/faster speeds.
Good to know because I stopped using eco mode and only ride in normal mode for awhile now lol
Sponsored

Hivolt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 4x4 super crew, max tow, 400hp 302
Eco mode does a few things on trips that i have noticed. It seems to detune the accelerator a bit so there is less gas used at slight to moderate acceleration. And when on cruse control and you go around someone that is slowing you down, below what your speed is set at, the truck accelerates much slower. Which is when i usually mash the gas and ruin my gas mileage.

Rapid Red

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Test driver
On the cluster, you have options that you can monitor your driving styles. I always reset the trip mileage on the cluster. Every time I refill with 87 octane. & when I’m on the highway I use the cruise control. I have gotten as much as 23mpg on the highway & 17 in town.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Truck says it's averaging 15.1 I've used only 87 so far since new and I have 1,577 miles on it.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
First longer drive today, took a round trip to see my mother. Used adaptive cruise most of the time, mostly interstate, but definitely some city. Averaged 25.3 on the way up. I have a 9 hour trip that I'll be taking to Indiana close to Christmas. So far, I've not averaged below 21.4 mpgs since purchasing. Extremely happy with the mileage coming from a hybrid that averaged 55 mpg.

MPG: 24.9
Miles: 186
Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
Drive Mode: Eco
Cruise: Adaptive most of the time, hit some heavy Thanksgiving traffic on the way back.

Ford F-150 F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get?? PXL_20211124_231234833

*I'm aware that the computer may show a little higher than hand calculated.

Last edited:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Still not the 56 mpgs that my Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid would get, but still great at 23.421. Filled up with fuel in Concord, NC to start the Journey to Indiana to visit the wife's family for Christmas. Drove 541.5 miles and filled up in Seymour, IN. The 23.421 included driving through the NC and TN mountains. We had 1 pitstop for bathroom break, 1 pitstop for food, and one 15 minute stint in stop and go traffic before refueling. I'm really happy with the mpgs.

MPG Hand Calculated: 23.421
MPG Computer: 23.6
Miles: 541.5
Gallons to refill: 23.431
Time: 8 hours 13 minutes
Drive Mode: Eco
Cruise: Adaptive most of the time.

Ford F-150 F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get?? PXL_20211223_202247626

gmlee73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX FX4
Just got back from a 1500 mile roundtrip visit to family and my '21 5.0 liter averaged 23 mpg at about 6 mph over the posted limit most of the way. I really couldn't be happier.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Bed cover makes a BIG difference. That bed back there is like pulling a parachute.
Not really. Check out videos of pickups in a wind tunnel.
Air rotates like a barrel on its side behind rear window, front of bed. This forces airflow over cab, over this vortex, for lack of better term, then Over the tailgate. The tailgate does not act like a parachute at all. This is why MPG is not improved with tailgate removed. Hell, they even proved this on mythbusters.

I have owned 4 rangers, a dakota, 2 c10's, a 1500, and 5 f150's in my life. I have never experienced a change in MPG after adding a cover or cap on any of those trucks.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
I have a 2020 crew cab XLT FX4 5.0. I get 15 around town: Hilly back roads with lots of stop signs and 35-45 mph driving. Not hauling anything but my fat ass. When I drive 9-10 hours to the OBX, over the mountains of western PA, with a grown family of 4, our dog, and a bed stuffed to the tonneau cover with heavy bags and boxes, I get 21. I use mostly Sheetz 87 octane. That's all according to the truck's I.P.
I guess I've never verified with hand calculation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Truck says it's averaging 15.1 I've used only 87 so far since new and I have 1,577 miles on it.
UPDATE:
I now have 2,520 miles, still using 87 octane and truck now says averaging 15.8 mpg which is mostly around town driving on the streets 45-50 mph on average with occasional jaunts on the local freeways 65-80 mph. I usually turn off auto start/stop before pulling out of the driveway and if I forget, I do it first stop sign or red light ? Considering trying premium to see if mpg will go up and also considering doing first oil change soon.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
UPDATE:
I now have 2,520 miles, still using 87 octane and truck now says averaging 15.8 mpg which is mostly around town driving on the streets 45-50 mph on average with occasional jaunts on the local freeways 65-80 mph. I usually turn off auto start/stop before pulling out of the driveway and if I forget, I do it first stop sign or red light ? Considering trying premium to see if mpg will go up and also considering doing first oil change soon.
are you looking at lifetime mileage or trip mileage.

I was well over 5k before lifetime and trip even got close
i hand calculated several tanks and adjusted the ”Lie-O-Meter” in engineering mode.
After fixing a ridiculously proud mpg reading, my calculations and the meter are within 1/2 mpg.

Could be a lot of idle time at the dealer or several moves around the lot before you got it.

Mine was paid for the day after it was delivered and left for some accessory installations, so pretty sure there was some idling and moving about the lot before I picked it up (which will be 1 year on Saturday—13,000mi)

during last summer averaged right at 20.5
this winter, about 18.5 with similar driving habits.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
are you looking at lifetime mileage or trip mileage.

I was well over 5k before lifetime and trip even got close
i hand calculated several tanks and adjusted the ”Lie-O-Meter” in engineering mode.
After fixing a ridiculously proud mpg reading, my calculations and the meter are within 1/2 mpg.

Could be a lot of idle time at the dealer or several moves around the lot before you got it.

Mine was paid for the day after it was delivered and left for some accessory installations, so pretty sure there was some idling and moving about the lot before I picked it up (which will be 1 year on Saturday—13,000mi)

during last summer averaged right at 20.5
this winter, about 18.5 with similar driving habits.
Lifetime and only going by what truck shows. It's not really important to me what mileage I get. I just thought I might get better than what I am because seems most everyone else is. I remember reading a while back that running premium will increase mpg so I've considered doing that but most premium fuel here on average is $0.40+ a gallon more than regular so I've been hesitant to spend the extra just to satisfy my curiosity.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Lifetime and only going by what truck shows. It's not really important to me what mileage I get. I just thought I might get better than what I am because seems most everyone else is. I remember reading a while back that running premium will increase mpg so I've considered doing that but most premium fuel here on average is $0.40+ a gallon more than regular so I've been hesitant to spend the extra just to satisfy my curiosity.
I used premium for a few fill ups, saw no mpg increase nor any better performance.
Went back to regular and haven't looked back..

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I used premium for a few fill ups, saw no mpg increase nor any better performance.
Went back to regular and haven't looked back..
Ya that's kind of what I was thinking would happen, nothing. I was going to try it for 4 to 6 months and I fill up maybe once a month. Also not even sure what drive mode I'm in. I haven't played with it since I got it last summer and have been too lazy to look up how to change it ?
Sponsored