Sponsored

F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get??

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
5.0, Fx4, 3.31, hard tonneau, regular gas, mostly Eco mode, 50/50 split of city/highway driving, easy acceleration/stopping, leaving A.S.S. on (I think I'm one of the very few who really doesn't mind it), higher side on tire pressure: Averaging about 18.5-18.9 mpg.

Took a 400 mile highway roundtrip going between 55-65 the entire time, and my trip average was 22.7.

If what you are after is top end MPG then being aware of your driving style and adjusting accordingly is crucial. Weather conditions can also play a monumental role. All it takes is a couple of lead-foot starts at intersections and a slight headwind and your average MGP goes straight to hell.

On the other hand as @UNIKRN150 said, that's not why we buy these.
My concern is that if it's getting bad mpg that it's not running at it's best.
I could care less about the cost of gas or how far I can drive, I have a 36 gallon tank.
I've babyed this thing trying to get the mpg up, I have the start stop feature turned on.
Nothing seems to change, I have the tonneau cover for the same reason as most.
It makes the truck look better and the weather off the bed.
Plus is a good place to lock up my gun if I need to.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
5.0, Fx4, 3.31, hard tonneau, regular gas, mostly Eco mode, 50/50 split of city/highway driving, easy acceleration/stopping, leaving A.S.S. on (I think I'm one of the very few who really doesn't mind it), higher side on tire pressure: Averaging about 18.5-18.9 mpg.

Took a 400 mile highway roundtrip going between 55-65 the entire time, and my trip average was 22.7.

If what you are after is top end MPG then being aware of your driving style and adjusting accordingly is crucial. Weather conditions can also play a monumental role. All it takes is a couple of lead-foot starts at intersections and a slight headwind and your average MGP goes straight to hell.

On the other hand as @UNIKRN150 said, that's not why we buy these.
Definitely didn't buy a KR for great mileage but if it's not up to specs something isn't right.
My other truck has ony been good for 14 mpg so not worried about mpg for economic reasons.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I don't care if it improves gas mileage

I don't want my bed getting flooded with rain water with my Decked system back there. Plus it just looks good (in my opinion).

I didn't buy a Full Size truck to get good gas mileage. It would be "nice" but that's not why I bought it.
Nor did I.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
My concern is that if it's getting bad mpg that it's not running at it's best.
I could care less about the cost of gas or how far I can drive, I have a 36 gallon tank.
I've babyed this thing trying to get the mpg up, I have the start stop feature turned on.
Nothing seems to change, I have the tonneau cover for the same reason as most.
It makes the truck look better and the weather off the bed.
Plus is a good place to lock up my gun if I need to.
I was a little concerned at first as well. The truck that we drove that made us decide on ours was a '20 5.0 Lariat 2WD 5ft bed rental in Florida. MPG in that thing was PHENOMINAL for a truck. Mostly highway driving and we were getting an average of 25+.

But then when you start designing your own, and the weight adds up: Maybe you get the 6.5ft bed... maybe you get 4X4... Maybe your rear axle isn't geared the same... Maybe you get a whole bunch of other options that add another 800+lbs to your truck. I also opted for the extended range tank, I don't regret that choice in the slightest but you have to remember that when full that's another 224lbs right there. All these little things start to add up, and I realized no matter how I drive my truck I'm NEVER going to see the kinds of numbers we saw in Florida.

Then I stopped worrying about it.

Long story short, I would imagine that 14-19 mpg is probably average for these things with a mix of city/highway driving. Lighter trucks will do better than heavier ones, and aggressive drivers will see lower numbers than more passive drivers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2919

I was a little concerned at first as well. The truck that we drove that made us decide on ours was a '20 5.0 Lariat 2WD 5ft bed rental in Florida. MPG in that thing was PHENOMINAL for a truck. Mostly highway driving and we were getting an average of 25+.

But then when you start designing your own, and the weight adds up: Maybe you get the 6.5ft bed... maybe you get 4X4... Maybe your rear axle isn't geared the same... Maybe you get a whole bunch of other options that add another 800+lbs to your truck. I also opted for the extended range tank, I don't regret that choice in the slightest but you have to remember that when full that's another 224lbs right there. All these little things start to add up, and I realized no matter how I drive my truck I'm NEVER going to see the kinds of numbers we saw in Florida.

Then I stopped worrying about it.

Long story short, I would imagine that 14-19 mpg is probably average for these things with a mix of city/highway driving. Lighter trucks will do better than heavier ones, and aggressive drivers will see lower numbers than more passive drivers.
224? I thought it would be an extra 63lbs plus the extra weight of the larger tank?

Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
224? I thought it would be an extra 63lbs plus the extra weight of the larger tank?
63lbs difference between the standard tank and the extended, yes. My calculation was just based on the total fuel weight, since no one other than pilots ever takes the weight of fuel into consideration when calculating total weight or efficiency.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
1 gal gas = 6.3lbs × 36 gallons = 226.8 lbs
I believe that Klitz was pointing out that my math was for the total weight and not the difference in the weight between the standard tank and the extended range tank.

Which I was then pointing out was intentional.

Clear as mud!

davek22554

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I get 21-22 around mixed around town and hwy. Towing I get 11 with 9000 lb camper and 12.5 with 6000 lb boat. So far very pleased with mileage and towing performance. I have around 4000k miles and have had to add 2 qts of oil though which I am not happy about.

MillstoneF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CCSB Space White STX
About 2k miles and lifetime average shows 18.8( 18 actual) and climbing. 95% of that is around town. No road trips yet. Oil is in the middle of the hashmarks so probably used a little.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Everything else being equal, I imagine that the biggest variable between trucks is going to be gearing. Then whether it's 4x4, RWD or with the full time 4X4, this would be followed closely by the frontal area, body style and the total weight. Accessory use or lots of idling should factor in too, so if the AC is always on or the truck is started to warm up every day during the winter for 20 minutes, then the mileage will take a hit. Then of course tires and tire pressure. Anyone sharing their mpg ought to also list their truck's configuration as well as their driving style and conditions. Then there's the whole list of other variables like fuel grade used and atmospheric conditions.

Ford also has what they call Eco Coach, which is one of the My View screens and there isn't much information about it that I can find. I believe that it resets after every drive and it's designed to show you how your driving impacts your mpg. The circle is supposed to show that you are driving in the right throttle position so that you are in the engine's torque curve for whatever speed you're driving. I only have used it once and have been using the instantaneous mpg ribbon gauge more often.

Ford F-150 F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get?? 201B5E21-4064-4BAD-8980-182A0031A8E5
Ford F-150 F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get?? DEC8AC1E-823C-472A-85CA-257A08CAE177

The battery icon is on because I took the pictures keyed on, with the engine off.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Everything else being equal, I imagine that the biggest variable between trucks is going to be gearing. Then whether it's 4x4, RWD or with the full time 4X4, this would be followed closely by the frontal area, body style and the total weight. Accessory use or lots of idling should factor in too, so if the AC is always on or the truck is started to warm up every day during the winter for 20 minutes, then the mileage will take a hit. Then of course tires and tire pressure. Anyone sharing their mpg ought to also list their truck's configuration as well as their driving style and conditions. Then there's the whole list of other variables like fuel grade used and atmospheric conditions.

Ford also has what they call Eco Coach, which is one of the My View screens and there isn't much information about it that I can find. I believe that it resets after every drive and it's designed to show you how your driving impacts your mpg. The circle is supposed to show that you are driving in the right throttle position so that you are in the engine's torque curve for whatever speed you're driving. I only have used it once and have been using the instantaneous mpg ribbon gauge more often.

201B5E21-4064-4BAD-8980-182A0031A8E5.jpeg
DEC8AC1E-823C-472A-85CA-257A08CAE177.jpeg

The battery icon is on because I took the pictures keyed on, with the engine off.
Thanks, that's a screen I haven't seen.

KielerFarms

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f-150 waiting on 2021
Occupation
Beef farmer
Still waiting on mine but my fathers identical truck is getting 19.5 driving around rural roads and 22.5 highway. xlt max tow supercab. It gets worse in Eco mode then in normal

Rapid Red

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Test driver
I've now had this truck for 4 months.
The very best average mileage I've gotten is
16.0- Miles a gallon. I mean that's the best..
That's highway doing the speed limit
with cruise control set.
For the most part I average around
14.5 MPG combined city and highway.
Do I have a problem??
Trying to find out what others driving a V-8 are getting?
I did have an O/2 sensor go out at 800 miles,
So do I have another problem?
Appreciate any feed back I can get..
Thanks.....

Rapid Red

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation