Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Why only 2021 models and not 2022s? Also, how does one know if they have the correct front axles to accept the torsen?
Probably because no one has bothered to change the listing yet.

Pretty sure every front 8.8 ever has used the same 31 spline axles, so you're probably safe there. Do your homework with where you buy it from to check if you're serious, though.
Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Why only 2021 models and not 2022s? Also, how does one know if they have the correct front axles to accept the torsen?
MY thought was "2021" because if someone wanted them in 2022, they would have ordered a Tremor...not available in 2021. But then a lot of guys buy non-Tremor 5.0's s and lift them.

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
But then a lot of guys buy non-Tremor 5.0's s and lift them.
👆 This. Now that you can get a 5.0 Tremor (or Rattler) in 2023, I suspect that may change.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Still can't get a 157" one though.

nkyhunter

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 bronco wildtrak, 2022 f150 tremor
Occupation
retired
Seems like a great piece to pair with their new level kit. 👍
per ford performance---- Not recommended for 4x2 drivetrain, F-150 Tremor, 3.5L PowerBoost Hybrid,

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Yes. It's a Ford Motorsport part that is also available form the manufacturer as a retail part.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4204-F150LS

https://www.steeda.com/ford-perform...W2FdqetzEs7Agvc6eldsENvgN3Du_VLUEJMNMD2kutv0U

EDIT: Might have sounded like I was saying Steeda was the manufacturer, but they are just another source for the part, of MANY.

For a diff install? Depending on the shops in your location it could be as cheap as $500. With a dial gauge and some patience you could do it in your driveway.
I think if I we're to change diffs it would be for a 4A swap. If it's that easy I'm surprised more people with XLT's don't do it. It's the one thing i feel the XLT lacks that the competition offers in their equivalent trim levels. (Except Toyota)

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I think if I we're to change diffs it would be for a 4A swap. If it's that easy I'm surprised more people with XLT's don't do it. It's the one thing i feel the XLT lacks that the competition offers in their equivalent trim levels. (Except Toyota)
4A is in the Transfer Case behind the transmission, so different component all together. But it also is an easy swap since it's the same size externally. Even at full retail you just need the T-case that is about $1400, the 4 button switch for about $65, and the right TCCM which is about $160.

It's about the same to go to the Hi-Lock T-case from a Tremor/Raptor, but the case is bigger, and only someone with the 157" has done it, so the slip-toke on the driveshaft took up the space. You'd need to do some figuring on shorter wheelbases.

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
4A is in the Transfer Case behind the transmission, so different component all together. But it also is an easy swap since it's the same size externally. Even at full retail you just need the T-case that is about $1400, the 4 button switch for about $65, and the right TCCM which is about $160.
Right. Duh...

Ford F-150 F-150 Tremor Half Shafts now available from Ford Performance banice-dumb-and-dumber

Diff / transfer case..... I should really finish my morning coffee before commenting.

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Any thoughts on why they are listed only for the XL/XLT 4x4 trim levels and not Lariat and above?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Any thoughts on why they are listed only for the XL/XLT 4x4 trim levels and not Lariat and above?
As a rolling change the 22 Lariats (and I think the assumption is every trim above as well since they are all 4A/TOD) the front axles were changed to permanent connection. They aren't the eIWE axles with the big dog teeth and the tiny stud through the hub. They are basically like the early 2000s trucks, or FWD cars, with the big splines going through the hub and a giant ass bolt on the end.

The Tremors retain eIWE, but they also have the Hi-lock transfer case, so it likely has something to do with the 4HI engagement.

Thought I had a better picture of my axles from installing my Bilsteins, but alas.
Ford F-150 F-150 Tremor Half Shafts now available from Ford Performance 1664950582875

Look upon my Surface Rust, ye Mighty, and despair!

Sponsored

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
As a rolling change the 22 Lariats (and I think the assumption is every trim above as well since they are all 4A/TOD) the front axles were changed to permanent connection. They aren't the eIWE axles with the big dog teeth and the tiny stud through the hub. They are basically like the early 2000s trucks, or FWD cars, with the big splines going through the hub and a giant ass bolt on the end.

The Tremors retain eIWE, but they also have the Hi-lock transfer case, so it likely has something to do with the 4HI engagement.

Thought I had a better picture of my axles from installing my Bilsteins, but alas.
1664950582875.png

Look upon my Surface Rust, ye Mighty, and despair!
Looking up the Ford OEM axle part numbers for the 2021s they list a single axle part number for all 4x4 trim levels and all engines. (right side ML3Z-3A428-B, left side ML3Z-3A427-B). Thinking the language may be a limitation on the XL and XLT trim levels and not a limitation that the part is only for the XL/XLT trim levels. Though that still doesn't make sense when they list the same OEM axle for all versions. Then again I may need more caffeine at this point.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Looking up the Ford OEM axle part numbers for the 2021s they list a single axle part number for all 4x4 trim levels and all engines. (right side ML3Z-3A428-B, left side ML3Z-3A427-B). Thinking the language may be a limitation on the XL and XLT trim levels and not a limitation that the part is only for the XL/XLT trim levels. Though that still doesn't make sense when they list the same OEM axle for all versions. Then again I may need more caffeine at this point.
The change came in 22, so I would expect the catalog to list the same axle for all 21 versions, because it was.

I could see somebody in charge of the listing now look at the current compatibility, and paint with a wide brush instead of drilling down to what vin/date the switch was made. IIRC someone with a very early 22 had eIWEs.

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
Yes. It's a Ford Motorsport part that is also available form the manufacturer as a retail part.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4204-F150LS

https://www.steeda.com/ford-perform...W2FdqetzEs7Agvc6eldsENvgN3Du_VLUEJMNMD2kutv0U

EDIT: Might have sounded like I was saying Steeda was the manufacturer, but they are just another source for the part, of MANY.

For a diff install? Depending on the shops in your location it could be as cheap as $500. With a dial gauge and some patience you could do it in your driveway.
Interesting. I might also have to do this one day

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
My truck is at the dealer getting a Raptor torsen installed....hopefully will get it back by January. I'm also getting a Purple Cranium front diff cover (it's just stamped steel, but it has a drain plug; the beefy cast options won't fit behind the EPS). Be advised that only BIG dealers can do this because they have to pull the EPS to get to the diff. This means that they then have to recalibrate the caster/camber and the machine to do that on the new EPS is apparently only present at the big urban dealerships. That could be a line of BS, but about 4 smaller dealers (where there isn't a month long wait) told me the same thing, so they at least all arrived at the same lie independently.

I'll definitely get these half shafts when I get the truck back.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
My truck is at the dealer getting a Raptor torsen installed....hopefully will get it back by January. I'm also getting a Purple Cranium front diff cover (it's just stamped steel, but it has a drain plug; the beefy cast options won't fit behind the EPS). Be advised that only BIG dealers can do this because they have to pull the EPS to get to the diff. This means that they then have to recalibrate the caster/camber and the machine to do that on the new EPS is apparently only present at the big urban dealerships. That could be a line of BS, but about 4 smaller dealers (where there isn't a month long wait) told me the same thing, so they at least all arrived at the same lie independently.

I'll definitely get these half shafts when I get the truck back.

If you don't mind sharing, what is the cost for parts / install / total for the torsen diff upgrade?
Sponsored