Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Be advised that only BIG dealers can do this because they have to pull the EPS to get to the diff. This means that they then have to recalibrate the caster/camber and the machine to do that on the new EPS is apparently only present at the big urban dealerships. That could be a line of BS, but about 4 smaller dealers (where there isn't a month long wait) told me the same thing, so they at least all arrived at the same lie independently.
Trying to find any info on this and it all seems to be about programing on a complete replacement rack, or just doing a center recalibration when doing the alignment. I assume they just need FDRS to do that, since it can be done even with 3rd party interfaces?

A lot of dealerships don't want to mess with installing a dif, so I could see if it was something related to that. If you could bug them for specifics that would be rad.

It sounds like they are just describing an full alignment rack...
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The parts are cheap: I got the FoMoCo torsen for $650 delivered (look around, you can pay upwards of $900 if you are not careful) and the cover was $90. I don't know what the damage will be on the install yet. Like I said, it's a dealer, so I'm emotionally preparing myself to grab my ankles. But given the EPS thing I don't really have a choice.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Trying to find any info on this and it all seems to be about programing on a complete replacement rack, or just doing a center recalibration when doing the alignment. I assume they just need FDRS to do that, since it can be done even with 3rd party interfaces?

A lot of dealerships don't want to mess with installing a dif, so I could see if it was something related to that. If you could bug them for specifics that would be rad.

It sounds like they are just describing an full alignment rack...
As I said, it's entirely possible they just didn't want to mess with it. The only thing that makes me kind of believe them is that they all arrived at the same lie to get out of it independently.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It’s sad but I would believe that all the dealership disservice managers get a fat stack of flashcards full of lies before I believed four separate dealers came to the same conclusion because they were telling the truth.

A quick look at the service manual would confirm that though.

Has anyone measured or weighed the upgraded shafts against the stock ones? How many people have snapped the non-Tremor shafts? It looks to me like more people are grenading their front diff. housings backing up in 4X4 than breaking shafts or CV joints.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The tremor and raptor share the torsen -- the new raptor R ditches the torsen though....

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Cooking burgers and hotdogs is not BBQing, it's grilling! Thx, All of Texas!
What is a torsen? Why do owner want one?
Backing up in reverse with 4WD engaged is bad?

TIA

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Backing up in 4X4 is normal but that’s where it seems like failures are occurring. There’s a couple threads here and elsewhere reporting of front differential housing failures.

Torsen is portmanteau for torque sensing. It’s a fancy mechanical contrivance that behaves like a clutch pack LSD but maybe even better. One of the drawbacks is that it does need a little drag on the slipping wheel to work but there are tricks around that.

If I were to guess; the new Raptor R loses the torsen because it exceeds the torque rating of something in the driveline.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
If I were to guess; the new Raptor R loses the torsen because it exceeds the torque rating of something in the driveline.
They said it was because with the newer traction control systems, it was no longer needed. While that can sound like marketing speak, I would think at worst it's more of a cost saving measure, since that diff handles a ton of power in the back of 8.8 Mustangs.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
So, I got the Torsen, Purple Cranium Diff cover (just a stamped cover with a drain plug), and Tremor half shafts installed. Labor for the install was $2300+tax, which seemed pretty reasonable to me. As with the Eaton Truetrac in my old Exploder, I can't feel the difference. It got to the point that I wondered if they had actually replaced the open diff until I discovered the old open diff in a box in my bed the next day. I can slide a finger all the way around the diff, and the oil filter drain funnel is the only thing in the way. I THINK that a thicker cast cover MIGHT fit, but it would be extremely close, to the point that any effort would involve buying both and then letting them use whichever one fit. The nearest approach of any part is the EPS, and it's about 1/2-5/8" away (assuming that you're cool with removing the oil filter drain funnel and just dousing your pumpkin with oil every oil change).

Ford Torsen
Tremor CV shafts
Purple Cranium Diff Cover

Rear Differential Cover (not related to other parts, just nice to be able to swap the fluid with a bucket and a socket wrench)

Thus far, I can only comment on the exceptional road manners, but once I get loose from work for a few days I'll try it off road.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
They said it was because with the newer traction control systems, it was no longer needed. While that can sound like marketing speak, I would think at worst it's more of a cost saving measure, since that diff handles a ton of power in the back of 8.8 Mustangs.
Super 8.8 34 spline used in the rear ends is ALOT stouter than the front 31 spline 8.8.

Endeavour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Hey all,

Back in Novemeber I decided to use my ford points to buy the Tremor Half Shaft upgrade (https://accessories.ford.com/2021-f150-tremor-half-shafts-pair) for my PB. I've removed and installed plenty of CV axles, but was having a very difficult time with removing the driver side axle. After a few days of struggling, I had the dealer take a crack at it. They got it out after a few hours of trying, and got the new Tremor half shafts installed and everything buttoned up, along with an alignment.

Forward to January, and both axles are leaking (driver side at the lower boot outboard clamp, and passenger side at the upper boot inboard clamp). My dealer said to bring it by and that it should be no trouble getting them warrantied and installing the replacements, since it was in such short time and mileage (2000-2500) since the work had been done, with no off roading, and 4hi being engaged only for a few days in the snow on city streets.

The dealer called me after having the truck for a few days and let me know that these are not covered by any warrranty, and that I will be charged for both the labor to replace them, and the replacement parts. I reached out to ford performance parts and they held that line as well, that these have no warranty.

I feel a little duped for being upsold on a part thats toted as an "Upgrade your 2021+ F150 4x4 front half shafts to the Tremor specifications with all new OE production half-shafts" product, using ford points to purchase, paying a dealer to install, only to have both fail in such a short time, and then be told I need to buy new half shafts and pay the dealer again to install them. Does that seem a little ridiculous?

Clearly there were issues with the clamps on these half shafts. The tech from ford performance parts went as far as to say that the dealer should have double checked the clamps on the new half shafts before they installed them, something it doesn't mention at all in the installation instructions.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had such a negative experience with these "upgrade OE production" parts?
Sponsored