• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F-150 Tail Lights Feature Weight Scales Indicators!

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Interesting article on the scales that will be part of my new 2022 Lightning. Of course, the scale is not limited to the EV but I won't tell the ICE'ers.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-f-150-taillights-have-a-feature-previously-unknown-1847854319

There are 4 LED indicators embedded in the taillights that show how loaded the truck becomes with the top light flashing if overloaded. I am sure that cop following me will be impressed.

I also understand that you can zero-out the scale (tare) to weigh individual objects. I plan to use this when I take the wife for groceries to keep her on her diet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
BTW - I never vouched for the accuracy of this. Take it with a pound of salt and smile. BUT, it sounds like a great idea if Ford is listening.

Always be careful of what you read on the internet and use common sense to filter.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Now thats cool!

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
I plan to use this when I take the wife for groceries to keep her on her diet.
Dude. Two words - "Inside Voice". Me thinks I would edit that post, if'n I wuz u . . . .

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Dude. Two words - "Inside Voice". Me thinks I would edit that post, if'n I wuz u . . . .
No problem. After 55 years married she cannot see my posts anymore and anyway I am now the only game in town.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I don't understand why this article is making the rounds like it's some unknown thing or a prototype, it's the scale system built into the newer build 2021 F-150s when equipped.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ve-tech-with-onboard-scales-to-simplify-.html
Well, to bring this back to the Lightning specifically, it looks like the revised tailgate design for the Lariat and Platinum (with the light bar in back) has a bulge on the sides that covers up these load indicators. I think they're exposed all the time in the Pro and XLT. I do like the look of the more form fitting tailgate but a loss of functionality is decidedly not attractive. I tried to get photos to show:

Anyone have a pic of the pro/XLT with the tailgate up?

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Tail Lights Feature Weight Scales Indicators! tailgate-lights

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Tail Lights Feature Weight Scales Indicators! Screenshot_20211016-065206_YouTube

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Don't despair @DadBald --it's possible the horizontal reverse lights on the Lariat/Platinum will be able to display this information. It's also built into the Ford app which will give you more granular data anyway.

cvretis

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Prius
Occupation
retired
From what I have read, "Available Onboard Scales, Smart Hitch, and Continuously Controlled Damping can be ordered in early June".

I bought a new 2021 Expedition in March 2021. Never could get it to handle correctly. The front end was always high even with a weight distributing hitch. It was a Reese Recurve 6 and I communicated with them several times with no solution.

My Ford service advisor stated they have problems with Expeditions towing, but especially with the CCD Continuously Controlled Damping.

My fix was to sell it and get a new F150 Prius edition. It tows fine except going from ABQ to Santa Fe over Christmas week. Winds were 28 with gusts to 38. In the valleys, I think they were more.

Just to try something different, I ordered a TRUE TOW WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/

Besides having a built in tongue weight scale that you can adjust, it has a longer hitch so you can lower the tail gate while still hooked up.

If you want this hitch, order it direct. No shipping or sales tax.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
BTW - I never vouched for the accuracy of this. Take it with a pound of salt and smile. BUT, it sounds like a great idea if Ford is listening.

Always be careful of what you read on the internet and use common sense to filter.
and don't tell your wife what you are doing when you have her sit in the truck bed....
Sponsored