Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I know what you're all thinking, but no need to check your calendars...it's not April Fools...

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3964871-ford-f-150-production-delayed-due-to-door-handle-issue-report

May 3, 2023​
Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) is encountering a production issue with its best selling F-150 model, according to the Wall Street Journal.​
The outlet reported on Wednesday that “difficulties getting door handles” caused a halt in production for both the electric and ICE versions of the truck. Citing people with knowledge of the situation, the WSJ reported that F-150 production has been restarted after a brief pause with substitute handles “including ones that are the wrong color or don't have the proper key holes” to keep production running until correct versions come available.​
The specific vehicles with mismatched door handles have been set aside by the automaker and, as such, some deliveries to customers have reportedly been delayed due to the issue.​
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Ugh. My truck was to be built this week.
Sticker says blend date of tomorrow.
Should have chrome handles but I'd take Oxford White if they need to.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
you know we blame ford, but i blame the entire industry, yes ford has some blame
there is no reason for the parts issues. We as American industry need to get off the pot and roll on the steam.
i bet my left toe there are machine chops in USA and Canada that could ramp up and be the SUPPLIER in short order.
i am waiting on a GE profile convection advantium oven, that was killed by lighting last weekend...MAY 22 is expected date...WTHHHHHHECK

BUT YES door handle shortage???????????????????

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The F150 is likely the MOST challenging production line in the world regarding parts procurement.

For obvious reasons.

I would never want to work in that department. Especially not the post Covid insane world.

But yea, you could also make an arrangement that manufacturers brought some of this on themselves.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
The F150 is likely the MOST challenging production line in the world regarding parts procurement.

For obvious reasons.

I would never want to work in that department. Especially not the post Covid insane world.

But yea, you could also make an arrangement that manufacturers brought some of this on themselves.
i agree

i used to Dis assemble a marine corps EA6B for overhaul, and later we put it all back together
with me and 100 other motivated people.

each plane had to be down to buck naked, wings etc all removed and stripped of 1ks of parts in each assembly, inspected, and then we put it all back together with new stuff and new wings, wiring, etc or reused overhauled parts (at least 80%)
every rivet was touched, etc matter of fact ONLY one rivet from original build was left intact, that's how extensive the overhaul was , this way the marines got a NEW plane without BUYING a new plane 🤑

everything scanned and bar coded, except non re usable fasteners .
everything inspected, set for rebuild or repair, tracked and brought back in time to go back in.

it took a space 3 level 100' x 200' space to house and package all the parts and sub systems with their parts for each plane. not to mention engine and hydraulic shops across the flight line to rebuild those items. in house complete airframe rebuilding techs.
we had 13 to 15 planes in the plant at one time. parts expediters had their own above the floor offices just to track new parts, old parts, parts for sub assemblies etc and we were all UNION shop with breaks and long lunches

inspectors of EACH part, logistic people etc
and doing the LEAN manufacturing integration. new parts from around the country to rebuild the plane in months . we had trucks almost everyday arriving with parts.

we had primary manufacturers and back up plants and on-sight problem solvers (ME and my crew, very often)
not to mention each air-frame moved spots every 6 weeks until it rolled out the door in green primer ready to test fly

we had huge supply chain issues. you know the government never has stuff wired to be efficient

but out of 120 planes only 4 were delayed. at projects end. yes we worked 6 days a week 2 shifts, 10 hours each, IRS loved me those years :poop:
i just have no sympathy for the manufacturing industry right now. all of them

there is or are just to many ways to prevent shortages, maybe the expediters need to be looking for new jobs or ....
its not like the f150 is 100% new parts...for 21 to 23 models.
lincoln is just as bad. :mad: my mystery corsair is still not reshipped from factory ..and it uses same IP cluster we have

there are shops out there that are turning and burning making 1ks of parts each day. somebody is not taking advantage of these smaller shops
soap box put away 🤗

dont get me wrong...my 22 f150 is the BOMB compared to all the ford trucks i have owned. i really like it and often just turn to stare as i walk away
if it was lucid red, i might be sleeping in it 🤗

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A fine rant indeed!

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
thebigdu

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Complicated or not, I've developed a new appreciation for my 2022, with its bed camera, front camera washer, heated steering wheel, advanced security pack, and full infotainment functionality. Sure, I'm missing a few things from 2021, but I really feel for these 2023 guys.

What are everyone's bets on whether the refreshed 2024 has all of the previously deleted features/functions added back in?

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
its thursday (y)
As good a reason as any :)

Just in time inventory controls (JIT) requires near perfect logistics, else the whole thing breaks down.

When it works, its very efficient for all parties but when it doesn't, not so good.

When Thailand had a major tsunami a decade or so ago, it was a wake up call and some reshoring and near shoring, started in dribs and drabs. Lots of CEOs admitted that the big push to China had been a mistake. Covid was the game changer but by then, the infrastructure didn't really exist anymore and it is taking time.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
As good a reason as any :)

Just in time inventory controls (JIT) requires near perfect logistics, else the whole thing breaks down.

When it works, its very efficient for all parties but when it doesn't, not so good.

When Thailand had a major tsunami a decade or so ago, it was a wake up call and some reshoring and near shoring, started in dribs and drabs. Lots of CEOs admitted that the big push to China had been a mistake. Covid was the game changer but by then, the infrastructure didn't really exist anymore and it is taking time.
you should have read my research project on just in time manufacturing
it was not pretty about how sensitive the set up really is. of course the china arm has always been a source of interruptions we could avoid, but choose not over the dollar costs

lets not talk about orange juice

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Complicated or not, I've developed a new appreciation for my 2022, with its bed camera, front camera washer, heated steering wheel, advanced security pack, and full infotainment functionality. Sure, I'm missing a few things from 2021, but I really feel for these 2023 guys.

What are everyone's bets on whether the refreshed 2024 has all of the previously deleted features/functions added back in?
I'm right there with you!
There's a 2023 KingRanch AND Platinum Lightning in the employee parking lot where my 2022 KingRanch PowerGrid is parked.

It's so strange to walk by them and see the absence of the premium seats. It's from the window sill up that the difference is glaring. I prize those gorgeous seats.
Sponsored