Sponsored

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
I was at a Tesla dealership recently and their cars all go "woo-woo" in a spaceship hovering sort of sound … equally obnoxious and utterly idiotically useless as a "safety" device. I know Telsa has software to allow the user to change the sound. I think just a simple "mute" button to press before slowing below whatever 10 mph limit or shifting to reverse … the driver should be allowed to take responsibility for not driving over the neighbor's dog instead of necessarily waking up everyone in the house just to roll out of the garage in the silence of the electric motor … it's just too absurd … (and yes, of course the solution is to back into the garage and drive out forwards in the early morning, but that's not the point.)
I have determined mine also makes a fake acceleration noise from the same speaker while moving forward. It happens until about 25 mph. I am going to figure out how to disable it.
Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I think you guys or girls might be tackling this in the wrong way. Being that this system is federally mandated, the only way to disable it is via software that’s proprietary to Ford.

Perhaps the FORScan forums have figured it out but again, there are some proprietary Ford software systems that not even FORScan can defeat.

Perhaps some type of change will be made on future vehicles but until then, more than likely this system will remained locked down because Ford corporate lawyers have a say in it so the company can’t be sued if said mandated system does not work.

narumysore

First Name
Naren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I am still waiting on delivery of my PB and this is just a thought. Since it is a speaker, looking at the pictures posted here, can we not use a long thin needle or a dremel bit to poke holes in the speaker and eventually just distort the sound to a point where it is inaudible?
I apologize if someone has mentioned this before.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I am still waiting on delivery of my PB and this is just a thought. Since it is a speaker, looking at the pictures posted here, can we not use a long thin needle or a dremel bit to poke holes in the speaker and eventually just distort the sound to a point where it is inaudible?
I apologize if someone has mentioned this before.
Ummmm, distortion is 100% audible.

The only way “not” to hear such distortion is if the actual frequency being sent into the speaker is either below 20hz or above 20khz which are the limits for humans.

Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
It’s “the man” rather than Ford mandating these things. Perhaps write to your state rep or something but I would imagine/hope they have bigger fish to fry.

What’s really ironic to me is that several years ago when I was sitting through “Imagine an electric vehicle future…” hype sessions one of the big selling points was always eliminating noise pollution in cities. Now instead of the clatter of combustion we’ll have groaning space ships and other noise pollution that’s totally not required by the laws of physics And instead mandated by the laws of man.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
It’s “the man” rather than Ford mandating these things. Perhaps write to your state rep or something but I would imagine/hope they have bigger fish to fry.

What’s really ironic to me is that several years ago when I was sitting through “Imagine an electric vehicle future…” hype sessions one of the big selling points was always eliminating noise pollution in cities. Now instead of the clatter of combustion we’ll have groaning space ships and other noise pollution that’s totally not required by the laws of physics And instead mandated by the laws of man.
I unplugged mine this morning. The warning just pops up at start up. Its amazing how much sound is emmitted both forward and reverse I leave at 4:45 am every morning and the quiet departure is appreciated

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Wondering if that’s the ONLY sound that speaker ever makes or if it is also used for something else? Maybe we could wire in a resistor or an old tweeter with the dome cut out so the system thinks the speaker is connected.

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
If it is any consolation, this is not the most stupid implementation EVER. My 2015 Prius (don't flame me, bro) produced a BEEP BEEP BEEP sound whenever it was in reverse - but the sound was actually generated INSIDE the passenger compartment, not outside where it might be heard by pedestrians. When I questioned that at the dealership, they said it could be disabled - for $25. That was the best $25 I ever spent on car. :rolleyes:

The F-150 sounds like DOINK DOINK DOINK. I have noticed people look my way when it is sounding. Not that I care, but I guess it might be serving its intended purpose to inform people that a nearby vehicle might crush them if they are inattentive.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Today we had to take my wife's Subaru in for service. I made a circle around the dealership under electric power, with that leaf-blower sound emanating from my truck, and a lot of people turned to see where the sound was coming from. You could hear it all over the parking lot.

I don't mind the reverse-beeper that much, but the leaf-blower is killing me.

Can I have something that sounds like hoof-beats instead, please?

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Today we had to take my wife's Subaru in for service. I made a circle around the dealership under electric power, with that leaf-blower sound emanating from my truck, and a lot of people turned to see where the sound was coming from. You could hear it all over the parking lot.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016

I unplugged mine. Took 2 minutes. The only warning you get is at initial start up and it clears with the OK button. I run in electric a fair bit very quite.

N2Wind

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
It is there for pedestrian alerts. Can they at least make it an accessible sound, such as a large V8 or Jetsons. The current sound makes you think something is wrong.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So, I heard this from inside the truck now that I FINALLY have mine. It took many times before I realized what the sound was from inside, and after hearing it, I can definitely see how it would be noticable by pedestrians and others nearby. It doesn't bother me yet, but it's only be a few hours of ownership so far.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
So, I heard this from inside the truck now that I FINALLY have mine. It took many times before I realized what the sound was from inside, and after hearing it, I can definitely see how it would be noticable by pedestrians and others nearby. It doesn't bother me yet, but it's only be a few hours of ownership so far.
I agree, it's not that big a deal but with the window down I could do with a lot less volume. If I could easily muffle it more, I would but since it's not easy, it's nice and quite inside the truck with the windows up.
Sponsored

Last edited: