Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I have 419 miles now on my Limited Powerboost and driving mostly in Eco mode and attempting to drive with fuel efficiency in mind, I have only averaged 19 mpg. I hope that improves as it breaks in or maybe I need to lear how to drive a hybrid. If any one has pointers they would be appreciated.
Depending on the speed you drive on the interstate and how aggressive you are in the city, your MPG should be between 19-21 combined.

Also, you said that you’re driving “mostly“ in Eco mode so that will also make a difference.

Remember, the sweet spot for EB engines on the interstate is between 50-60 MPH.
Sponsored

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
Depending on the speed you drive on the interstate and how aggressive you are in the city, your MPG should be between 19-21 combined.

Also, you said that you’re driving “mostly“ in Eco mode so that will also make a difference.

Remember, the sweet spot for EB engines on the interstate is between 50-60 MPH.
Mine is the Powerboost, not the Ecoboost. It’s rated at 24 mpg in the city, highway, and combined. I traded in a 2017 Platinum Ecoboost that I averaged 19.2 over the four years I had the truck.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Mine is the Powerboost, not the Ecoboost. It’s rated at 24 mpg in the city, highway, and combined. I traded in a 2017 Platinum Ecoboost that I averaged 19.2 over the four years I had the truck.
You still have an EB engine.

PowerBoost is just a new name that Ford is using to differentiate between F150’s that have the 3.5 EB and those that have the 3.5 EB with the Full Hybrid system.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
You still have an EB engine.

PowerBoost is just a new name that Ford is using to differentiate between F150’s that have the 3.5 EB and those that have the 3.5 EB with the Full Hybrid system.
He knows that, and also knows that his truck is rated 24/24 unlike the EB. In theory he should average much higher than his previous EB, hence the disappointment.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
He knows that, and also knows that his truck is rated 24/24 unlike the EB. In theory he should average much higher than his previous EB, hence the disappointment.
But you’re also overlooking what I said in my initial reply to him.
Also, if he knows that he has an EB, and anyone else who owns or has owned one, which it seems like you haven’t, driving style plays a big role in the MPG figures on EB engines regardless of the Hybrid System.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaym69

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
The owners manual does say the Powerboost MPG should improve some as it gets broke in. I am not sure how many miles to achieve that but it may get better as the driver and truck learns driving style that helps improve MPGs.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
But you’re also overlooking what I said in my initial reply to him.
Also, if he knows that he has an EB, and anyone else who owns or has owned one, which it seems like you haven’t, driving style plays a big role in the MPG figures on EB engines regardless of the Hybrid System.
I understand driving style plays a part. It plays a part in any engine. As Terry said, the hybrid is rated higher for mpg than the non-hybrid EB so I was hoping for more when both are driven in the same style. As someone else mentioned, it should improve as it gets broke in and to really maximize I will have to drive a little different than I’m used to to keep it in electric mode more.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I understand driving style plays a part. It plays a part in any engine. As Terry said, the hybrid is rated higher for mpg than the non-hybrid EB so I was hoping for more when both are driven in the same style. As someone else mentioned, it should improve as it gets broke in and to really maximize I will have to drive a little different than I’m used to to keep it in electric mode more.
Not sure what leads to all the assumptions on ignorance but yes we know about driving style and the PB is an EB+battery. I have an EB and know how to beat my EPA rating, and also how to suck gas. But the fact remains that so far, he is driving similar to his old EB and getting similar to his old EB despite the hybrid system. That is understandably disspointing.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not sure what leads to all the assumptions on ignorance but yes we know about driving style and the PB is an EB+battery. I have an EB and know how to beat my EPA rating, and also how to suck gas. But the fact remains that so far, he is driving similar to his old EB and getting similar to his old EB despite the hybrid system. That is understandably disspointing.
I thought that was a pretty straightforward point. Thank you.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I thought that was a pretty straightforward point. Thank you.
No prob my dude. How is your eco coach rating? From vids it looks like you get a grade on how you're doing, are you close to 100% score?

Sponsored

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No prob my dude. How is your eco coach rating? From vids it looks like you get a grade on how you're doing, are you close to 100% score?
I’m in the high 90’s; maybe 98 or 99. I don’t know where to view a cumulative score. I think the score that pops up a shutdown is for this trip.

Scrbumm11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Air Force
I have 419 miles now on my Limited Powerboost and driving mostly in Eco mode and attempting to drive with fuel efficiency in mind, I have only averaged 19 mpg. I hope that improves as it breaks in or maybe I need to lear how to drive a hybrid. If any one has pointers they would be appreciated.
Any change in mpg now that it has been a few weeks?

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Its slightly better. I’ve got 1165 miles on it. On my trip 2 screen it indicates:
Any change in mpg now that it has been a few weeks?
[/Q
Trip 1 indicates:
Ford F-150 F-150 Powerboost MPG test yields 29.7 MPG! 623C1BF6-2B9A-42C5-8F24-64B159C42DD4

Ford F-150 F-150 Powerboost MPG test yields 29.7 MPG! A4588A0C-F26D-4AE2-AECA-317D223F466D