Sponsored

F-150 PowerBoost making loud noises when gas motor running?

Stang66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
View attachment 17399
Anyone else having this issue? Got a new F-150 PowerBoost in March, and within a week the gas engine started making this noise. It will only do it when the gas motor is running. I’ve had Ford look at 3 times, they replaced the fan one time. But still having the issue.
It seems to do it more after it has been driven for a bit. As the dealer cannot seem to make it make the noise when they have it.
Sponsored

Yuriy

First Name
Yuriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 13 Gen
Occupation
industrial designer
It looks like the sound of the blades of the fan that something got inside

jmsanchez85

First Name
John Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Sales
View attachment 17399
Anyone else having this issue? Got a new F-150 PowerBoost in March, and within a week the gas engine started making this noise. It will only do it when the gas motor is running. I’ve had Ford look at 3 times, they replaced the fan one time. But still having the issue.
It seems to do it more after it has been driven for a bit. As the dealer cannot seem to make it make the noise when they have it.
I have just started to experience this as well. Came to check the thread to see if anyone has this issue and here we are.... I am hearing a clicking or harsh purring sound once I leave electric driving mode and at low speeds with the gas motor running. It seems to be coming from the front right passenger tire well. As I slow down, it seems the clicking also slowly down until I enter back into electric mode. My dealer will be getting a call from me as I have only 2k miles on this PowerBoost. Any updates as to what is going on??

to confirm, has the fan been checked to see if there is something stuck which is causing this sound? Is this the electric or gas motor?

OP
OP

Stang66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have just started to experience this as well. Came to check the thread to see if anyone has this issue and here we are.... I am hearing a clicking or harsh purring sound once I leave electric driving mode and at low speeds with the gas motor running. It seems to be coming from the front right passenger tire well. As I slow down, it seems the clicking also slowly down until I enter back into electric mode. My dealer will be getting a call from me as I have only 2k miles on this PowerBoost. Any updates as to what is going on??

to confirm, has the fan been checked to see if there is something stuck which is causing this sound? Is this the electric or gas motor?

They have checked and replaced the fan once. This last time we took it in and they could not get it to make the noise, so nothing was done. It only makes the noise when the gas motor is on. It sounds like fan is hitting something or something stuck in with it.

Dust

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Powerboost Platinum
Occupation
physician
I am having the exact same issue as jmsanchez85. I would call it a loud purring sound at times and also a whine in the drive train. It is intermittent. I am afraid if I take to dealer it won't make the noise and they will just think I am hearing things. My truck was purchased end of April and the sound began at about 2500 miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stang66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am having the exact same issue as jmsanchez85. I would call it a loud purring sound at times and also a whine in the drive train. It is intermittent. I am afraid if I take to dealer it won't make the noise and they will just think I am hearing things. My truck was purchased end of April and the sound began at about 2500 miles.
It’s so frustrating! Ours is intermittent as well. Seems to make it more in the evening, when of course we cannot take it to them to hear it. We just keep mentioning it to them so it’s on file we have had issues with it.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
The attachment wouldn't load for me, but you're probably hearing the speaker that intentionally makes an engine-like sound for safety. Electric and Hybrid vehicles in the EU are already required to have systems like this, read about AVAS here. Not sure we have a law yet in the US, but I'm sure we will soon if we don't already, hence Ford including it here.

There is another thread somewhere where a guy thought his truck was broken and eventually discovered it was the speaker making the noise. It does it most prominently when it's in electric mode and moving. usually speeds under 20 or 25mph I believe. It'll also make sounds when just sitting in drive.

I think the eco idle or something can also make it grumble more, there are definitely times when I've heard the engine make some noise when giving it relatively little throttle at low speeds, I figured it had to be something to do with charging the battery up or something like that.

Or maybe this is all completely unrelated, your attachment doesn't actually load for me so I can't hear what the clip is of.

trackstar1319

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser
The attachment wouldn't load for me, but you're probably hearing the speaker that intentionally makes an engine-like sound for safety. Electric and Hybrid vehicles in the EU are already required to have systems like this, read about AVAS here. Not sure we have a law yet in the US, but I'm sure we will soon if we don't already, hence Ford including it here.

There is another thread somewhere where a guy thought his truck was broken and eventually discovered it was the speaker making the noise. It does it most prominently when it's in electric mode and moving. usually speeds under 20 or 25mph I believe. It'll also make sounds when just sitting in drive.

I think the eco idle or something can also make it grumble more, there are definitely times when I've heard the engine make some noise when giving it relatively little throttle at low speeds, I figured it had to be something to do with charging the battery up or something like that.

Or maybe this is all completely unrelated, your attachment doesn't actually load for me so I can't hear what the clip is of.
I agree, I believe these sounds are either the speaker or some type of regenerative feature. Can't say for sure because it could be something entirely different, but knowing that Hybrids make abnormal sounds as compared to a stand alone ICE, it's probably the case.

OP
OP

Stang66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

It is not the noise from the speaker. It sounds like the fan is hitting something. Almost like if you stick a piece of paper inside a box fan and it hits the blades.
The dealership was able to hear it one time and replaced the fan as a result, but then it started making it again.
Sponsored