• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
So the lightning tour videos are fairly common place now. But I did monopolize Max for a good 30 minutes asking a bunch of questions that have been discussed here on the forums like:
  • liquid battery cooling best way to address parked overheating (remote start in ford pass)
  • what type of cabin heater (resistive not heat pump).
  • Also the F150 battery will initially be like the Ford Focus Electric Ford in rotating the active cells for driving in the battery to better maintain the less than 100% state of charge to risk reduce battery failure.
  • Bed liner not standard on the Pro
  • Cloth could be an option on the Pro
  • Running boards might be standard on the pro with illuminated boards as the upgrade (both pros on the ride along track had running boards)
  • Max towing for the Pro what does it get you
  • 15,000 production units in 2022 is way off. Dearborn plant can be used for body fabrication to accelerate F150 Lightning builds
Apologies for my novice go pro camera skills and for losing some of the Q&A with max.

My battery was low so I didn't record my Q&A with Ian from Ford in the eTransit tent. He blew my mind when he said that the power transfer switch is included in the 80A EVSE package. Meaning that get your own electrician and no Sunrun holding you hostage for additional fees. Now it makes sense for that package to cost $1200-1500. He also confirmed the CCS connector on the 80A EVSE and use of the top half J1772 to charge the car and the bottom 2 pins for powering the home through the transfer switch.

I also spent 15-20 minutes chatting with a local Florida Solar installer who is planning to use innovative Solar financing to count his F150 Lightning as the battery in solar install netting 20 year less than 2% financing for the whole solar install including the Lightning. I'm not sure how relavent that is in other areas but when you think about the cost per powerwall in the Tesla Solar setup and the F150 is at least 2 powerwalls in capacity and all the other things you can do with your Lightning that a battery bank on your garage wall cant do ... its pretty appealing.

Now that you read all that you don't have to watch my Youtube playlist
Sponsored

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
I really do hope running boards are standard for the Pro but I would option up for the illuminated ones. Also from other builds from the videos I seen on the maverick and Bronco, they say its best to avoid adding any additional factory upgrades as possible to accelerate your order.

JStone-Esq

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Lawyer
My wife and I made the trip to Daytona for the event and we were very happy we did. We got a ride in a Pro model in Antimatter Blue. The truck was gorgeous and to quote the president, "this sucker is quick!" The acceleration was almost scary. We dove into corners at speeds most people would never do outside an emergency and I am happy to report there was very little body roll or lean. Go kart comes to mind. I have attended high performance driving schools, run BMWs and Corvettes, and I was still impressed with the way this truck handled. The basic model interior was very comfortable. Back seat was roomy. The ride was smooth and quiet. The wheels looked better in person then in pictures. After owning an F-150 for 13 years I thought I wouldn't be all that thrilled with another one (Wanted a Bronco bad!) After the Daytona event, I can't wait to get my own Antimatter Blue Lightning!

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
So... if they're counting the lightning as battery storage for a solar system for a 20yr 2% loan.... could you also claim the 26% federal solar tax credit on the Lightning as part of the solar system? ;)

I feel like both of these inclusions are quite the stretch. Although, I have seen solar companies do a whole roof reshingle along with solar install and claim the federal tax credit on the whole shebang. It's enough of a possibility to be intriguing. Ethically I feel like it should be permanently wired to count in both cases, but if it's a loophole that's a big advantage for lightning buyers.

OP
OP

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So... if they're counting the lightning as battery storage for a solar system for a 20yr 2% loan.... could you also claim the 26% federal solar tax credit on the Lightning as part of the solar system? ;)

I feel like both of these inclusions are quite the stretch. Although, I have seen solar companies do a whole roof reshingle along with solar install and claim the federal tax credit on the whole shebang. It's enough of a possibility to be intriguing. Ethically I feel like it should be permanently wired to count in both cases, but if it's a loophole that's a big advantage for lightning buyers.
Yes I believe the IRS is overwhelmed with other things to audit individuals on such that they will not be looking to confirm your Solar battery is temporary or permanently affixed to your residence.

Then it boils down to the letter of the Solar credit law and your own intestinal fortitude/moral compass.

Which then opens up the idea of solar battery sharing and if you just quote the specs on the Lightning battery as part of the Solar install can say a single Lightning be shared among a larger number of Solar installs or does it have to be tied to the insured address only?

I can imagine a fleet of Lightnings backing up a condo which has the perk of allowing condo owners to "check out" a lightning for daily use , maybe keeping 2-3 connected/charging and allowing the others to be in-use disconnected.

The downside is will the Lighting last the 20yrs or perhaps it continues to function as a battery backup while parked in your drive and it is no longer drive able. What does that do to the total cost of the Lightning.

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Aww, why did you have to bring my conscience into this... :rolleyes::LOL:

Personally I do NOT like the idea of using my Lightning as a peak-load shedding device / grid-connected storage. I've looked into Powerwalls and daily charge/discharge to save on time of use really puts a strain on the battery and cuts its life. Now... that was for a 13.5kWh pack, not a 150kWh (assumed) pack. So - feasibly the impact to the lightning will be significantly less. Unless my peak utility rate skyrockets though, I just don't see a grid-connected battery situation being smart (for me in MI; CA is likely a different situation). Solar is cheaper and more reliable and longer lasting. Backup is a different situation entirely though.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Thanks for that review!
Very useful bits of info.

OP
OP

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Glad I could get more useful information from the Ford Reps after multiple others from this forum already pummeled them with dozens of questions.

Max confirmed that the commonly asked questions get fed back to the Ford marketing team and perhaps we may influence the option configurations that are made available on Oct 26th. Hopefully the DC, NY, Boston attendees will take this to heart and keep hitting the Ford reps with the desired options on the Pro.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Glad I could get more useful information from the Ford Reps after multiple others from this forum already pummeled them with dozens of questions.

Max confirmed that the commonly asked questions get fed back to the Ford marketing team and perhaps we may influence the option configurations that are made available on Oct 26th. Hopefully the DC, NY, Boston attendees will take this to heart and keep hitting the Ford reps with the desired options on the Pro.
I will also say the Darren Palmer confirmed that him and his team monitor the MME forum and spend a significant amounts of time looking at media, message boards, ev poscasts, etc. I have no doubt he is a member here and probably checks in often.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I will also say the Darren Palmer confirmed that him and his team monitor the MME forum and spend a significant amounts of time looking at media, message boards, ev poscasts, etc. I have no doubt he is a member here and probably checks in often.
May or may not have a membership but certainly checks in.

Sponsored

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
It is good to know that Cloth will be an option on the Pro. Thanks for the additional answers.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Max confirmed that the commonly asked questions get fed back to the Ford marketing team and perhaps we may influence the option configurations that are made available on Oct 26th
I wonder if feedback means some of the things that were going to be standard in Pro now is going to be an option just because they now know we want it bad.

p.s. I really appreciate your post. The resistive heating and naked bed was completely new to me.