First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 5.0
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I can still remember my dad’s blue Ford F-150. He had a topper for the bed, as well as cots that attached to the box wall so he could sleep in back when he went hunting or fishing. It had a blue interior and was an automatic. This would have been way back in late 1980’s early 1990’s, way back when I was <10 years old. I recall a lot of the vehicles we had, including a Ford Bronco with a 5.0 in it at one point. We sold that when we got a camper as it didn’t pull it very well.

Fast forward 20+ years to 2021 and my family was living with my parents after effectively becoming homeless from the Derecho in Iowa. That’s a story for another time. As we were finishing the rebuild we were blessed and lucky enough to have an opportunity to purchase what had become a dream property with 18 acres and a newer house. We made an offer and it was accepted. We moved in almost a year after the Derecho hit. Knowing we were going to have property and space, my dad asked if he could park a camper at our place. We agreed that was fine, so he ordered a 22’ Airstream Bambi.

He was turning 72 in 2022 and had retired after 35 years working at the University of Iowa Dental College. He wanted to travel more and go camping again. When he purchased the Airstream, he had a 2021 Subaru Ascent Limited. The Bambi technically was under the weight limits, but the Ascent would be maxed out if the Bambi was fully loaded. On the way back from picking up the camper, my mom laid it out that he was to buy a truck if he wanted to keep the camper, but wasn’t sure if he had listened or was going to.

He did, and was. He and I had multiple conversations around which truck would work best, what engine to get, how he would fit it in his garage, all the kinds of conversations you would expect a father and son to have. Including the obvious question of “what does the largest Airstream weigh?” He decided on a 2022 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 with the 5.0. He placed his order 12/7/2021 and was looking forward to taking it and the camper to Wyoming to go camping with his youngest sister and her family. He was thrilled and had optioned out the truck to the hilt. He decided it was to be his dream truck, and wasn’t ever going to sell it. Maybe upgrade the camper, but he hadn’t actually said that yet. They were to be left “to you boys” (my brother and I) when he passed or could no longer use them.

The months rolled by, and he kept a sharp eye on his order, keeping track of what he still owed on the Ascent, and counting down the days until the trip he had planned. By June in 2022 he realized he wasn’t going to be able to make the trip that year as his truck had been pushed multiple times and was now scheduled for the week of August 15. He went “just to look” at what the dealership had in stock, which is code for “I’m going to buy”, so my mom went with him because she knew he had ordered his dream truck and didn’t want him to buy a truck he didn’t love. They decided there wasn’t anything as nice on the lot and that it was best to just wait.

Towards the end of July I had to make a trip down to Texas for work, and my oldest was staying with them when he got sick and needed to be hospitalized for a day with food poisoning. He recovered just fine, no long term effects, and on August 2nd I chatted with him about his truck and how he was feeling.

On August 4th, he had a follow up appointment to ensure he had completed treatment without any issues and was fully recovered. He talked to the neighbor a bit, he was so excited about his truck, and then drove himself to his doctor appointment. Upon arriving at the doctors office and urgent care location, he walked into the front door, and collapsed. For the next 45 minutes they attempted to resuscitate him, he had gone into cardiac arrest and had PEA (Pulseless Electrical Activity). They were unsuccessful.

He had only gotten to use the camper once, with my oldest and my mom at a local camp ground, and the truck still hadn’t been built. We decided to honor his wishes for the truck and camper as both my brother and I enjoy camping and being outdoors when we can. We both hold very dear memories with our dad when we went camping and were outdoors. On August 16th his truck went down the line, and was immediately parked and put on chip hold.

Thankfully, on 12/1/2022, 359 days after Ford received the order, his truck was completed. We decided to keep using his license plate (it is a personalized plate) as it was, and in our mind still is, his truck. We are also going to have a close friend create a window decal in his memory for the truck. On 1/6/2023, one day shy of 13 months to the day he ordered the truck, we took delivery.

I know he would have joined this forum as he had started really enjoying online forums for his Ascent and was looking forward to the same for his truck. This truck is in his memory and will be cherished. A day doesn’t go by where we don’t think about him and how excited he was for this truck.

I want to make a call out to FoMoCo for honoring the deal/incentives/etc my dad had negotiated. And a special callout to Lynch Ford and our salesman Andrew for taking such good care of us, being honest and upfront, and helping us honor my dad’s wishes. It means more to our family than we can express.

Sorry for the long sob story. Drive safe.
Ford F-150 F-150 In memory of my dad PXL_20230106_193048472.MP_2
Ford F-150 F-150 In memory of my dad PXL_20230106_193101705_2
Sponsored

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a great dad and I am glad you are keeping his memory alive with keeping the things he loved.

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 PB
I can still remember my dad’s blue Ford F-150. He had a topper for the bed, as well as cots that attached to the box wall so he could sleep in back when he went hunting or fishing. It had a blue interior and was an automatic. This would have been way back in late 1980’s early 1990’s, way back when I was <10 years old. I recall a lot of the vehicles we had, including a Ford Bronco with a 5.0 in it at one point. We sold that when we got a camper as it didn’t pull it very well.

Fast forward 20+ years to 2021 and my family was living with my parents after effectively becoming homeless from the Derecho in Iowa. That’s a story for another time. As we were finishing the rebuild we were blessed and lucky enough to have an opportunity to purchase what had become a dream property with 18 acres and a newer house. We made an offer and it was accepted. We moved in almost a year after the Derecho hit. Knowing we were going to have property and space, my dad asked if he could park a camper at our place. We agreed that was fine, so he ordered a 22’ Airstream Bambi.

He was turning 72 in 2022 and had retired after 35 years working at the University of Iowa Dental College. He wanted to travel more and go camping again. When he purchased the Airstream, he had a 2021 Subaru Ascent Limited. The Bambi technically was under the weight limits, but the Ascent would be maxed out if the Bambi was fully loaded. On the way back from picking up the camper, my mom laid it out that he was to buy a truck if he wanted to keep the camper, but wasn’t sure if he had listened or was going to.

He did, and was. He and I had multiple conversations around which truck would work best, what engine to get, how he would fit it in his garage, all the kinds of conversations you would expect a father and son to have. Including the obvious question of “what does the largest Airstream weigh?” He decided on a 2022 Ford F-150 King Ranch 4x4 with the 5.0. He placed his order 12/7/2021 and was looking forward to taking it and the camper to Wyoming to go camping with his youngest sister and her family. He was thrilled and had optioned out the truck to the hilt. He decided it was to be his dream truck, and wasn’t ever going to sell it. Maybe upgrade the camper, but he hadn’t actually said that yet. They were to be left “to you boys” (my brother and I) when he passed or could no longer use them.

The months rolled by, and he kept a sharp eye on his order, keeping track of what he still owed on the Ascent, and counting down the days until the trip he had planned. By June in 2022 he realized he wasn’t going to be able to make the trip that year as his truck had been pushed multiple times and was now scheduled for the week of August 15. He went “just to look” at what the dealership had in stock, which is code for “I’m going to buy”, so my mom went with him because she knew he had ordered his dream truck and didn’t want him to buy a truck he didn’t love. They decided there wasn’t anything as nice on the lot and that it was best to just wait.

Towards the end of July I had to make a trip down to Texas for work, and my oldest was staying with them when he got sick and needed to be hospitalized for a day with food poisoning. He recovered just fine, no long term effects, and on August 2nd I chatted with him about his truck and how he was feeling.

On August 4th, he had a follow up appointment to ensure he had completed treatment without any issues and was fully recovered. He talked to the neighbor a bit, he was so excited about his truck, and then drove himself to his doctor appointment. Upon arriving at the doctors office and urgent care location, he walked into the front door, and collapsed. For the next 45 minutes they attempted to resuscitate him, he had gone into cardiac arrest and had PEA (Pulseless Electrical Activity). They were unsuccessful.

He had only gotten to use the camper once, with my oldest and my mom at a local camp ground, and the truck still hadn’t been built. We decided to honor his wishes for the truck and camper as both my brother and I enjoy camping and being outdoors when we can. We both hold very dear memories with our dad when we went camping and were outdoors. On August 16th his truck went down the line, and was immediately parked and put on chip hold.

Thankfully, on 12/1/2022, 359 days after Ford received the order, his truck was completed. We decided to keep using his license plate (it is a personalized plate) as it was, and in our mind still is, his truck. We are also going to have a close friend create a window decal in his memory for the truck. On 1/6/2023, one day shy of 13 months to the day he ordered the truck, we took delivery.

I know he would have joined this forum as he had started really enjoying online forums for his Ascent and was looking forward to the same for his truck. This truck is in his memory and will be cherished. A day doesn’t go by where we don’t think about him and how excited he was for this truck.

I want to make a call out to FoMoCo for honoring the deal/incentives/etc my dad had negotiated. And a special callout to Lynch Ford and our salesman Andrew for taking such good care of us, being honest and upfront, and helping us honor my dad’s wishes. It means more to our family than we can express.

PXL_20230106_193048472.MP_2.jpg
PXL_20230106_193101705_2.jpg
Thank you for sharing this story. Beautiful truck and I hope you and your family have amazing memories in the truck and camper. Safe travels.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew

Well-written and very moving. Speaking from personal experience with my new F-150 and a recently departed loved one, his new truck will be the gift that keeps on giving, because every single time you look at it or drive it now or well into the future, you will think of him. Happy trails!

Meathead

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Edge, 2017 Transit. 2019 F150, maybe 22 F150
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. What a great tribute your father. Sounds a lot like mine as he instilled a love for family, togetherness and the great outdoors. My father was much the same. You don't have your father with you, but his memory is with you, and he will be with you and your family in spirit as you continue to enjoy life.

Sponsored

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I lost my mom on August 10th at 82. She had a 2019 Blazer RS that she loved but had surgery early in 2022 and could no longer drive. It is a shame because she had a lead foot and loved to drive, even at 82. She constantly told me to trade it in on a truck and get rid of my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee because she could no longer drive, and it was sitting in the garage collecting dust. I could not do it because I would take her for rides in her car, and she would always comment about how much she loved her car. After her funeral, I ended up with the Blazer. It was a nice car, but it was not a truck like she wanted me to have. Since she kept telling me to trade in her car, I did just that and took delivery of a 2023 F-150 SuperCrew on December 10th. I, too, will put a sticker on the rear window to memorialize my mom.

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
Beautiful story, so sorry for your loss.

Not to sounds callous at all after reading it all, but it only helps convince me to get the truck I need now (I'm 39) and start having the camping adventures with my family that I want to, sooner than later. Can't just wait until old age/retirement to start exploring.

My own father is 73 and aging quickly. He waited until a couple years ago to get a new Ranger for himself, but then shortly thereafter his back/spine started failing badly and now two major surgeries later he can hardly drive it or do any truck-related things. Life is fragile and comes at you quick.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
Sorry to read of your loss.

Davecp114

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew
What a wonderful tribute. My dad was a carpenter and always a Ford guy. He always had Ford trucks. I remember going to the local Ford dealer to take delivery of his new 1976 F100 the night before my first day of 1st grade. It was as basic as they come…300 6, 3 speed on the column and no power steering or power brakes. It was a reliable truck and was followed by a 1989 F150 which he drove to 168,000 miles and finally a 1998 F250 light duty that I drove for almost a year to almost 150,000 miles after my day could no longer drive. My father became ill with Alzheimer’s a few years before I ordered my 2021 F150 XLT Supercrew. One of my goals was to take him for a ride in it while he still would be excited about it. I finally took delivery in March of 2021 and I can still remember my Dad’s smile when he climbed in with less than 100 miles on the odometer. We lost him in February of last year but I still feel like he’s riding with me in the passenger seat. “What a beautiful truck, built Ford tough” he would say.

Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist

Sorry for your loss, and I think he would absolutely love what you and your brother are doing in his memory. It's a good reminder to make sure you make good memories with your kids, I think about it with my kids constantly, make sure I reflect on my actions and how I'm making memories with them. Hopefully I'll have many more memories with his truck and y'all's own families.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
My sincere condolences on passing of your father. You have described a beautiful plan to honor his memory. May your family enjoy many happy years enjoying each other's company in the truck and camper.

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner

I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I can tell you loved and admired your father dearly. Enjoy your father's truck. I just got mine 3 weeks ago and I love it.

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner

I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I can tell you loved and admired your father dearly. Enjoy your father's truck. I just got mine 3 weeks ago and I love it.

Spindrive

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Do a burn out in his honor and replace the awful Scorpio tires!! 😂
Sponsored