First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 Raptor 2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Controller
I’m new to this group and recently had a transfer switch installed for backup power from the Hybrid F-150.

The Truck gave us a fault - My electrician disconnected the ground in the Transfer Switch box to get the truck generator to work.

Is this safe - I’m an accountant and don’t comprehend this process entirely.
I just want to make sure that in the event we lose power and I use the Truck generator and transfer switch we are safe!!
Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
If you check your connections, you are probably losing power to ground somewhere. I had the exact same issue with an older home, and once we investigated, we realized that we were getting 60 volts on the ground leg somehow.

Same as you, disconnect the ground and it worked. This really isn’t safe though, because there is actually an electrical issue that could cause a problem.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Like already mentioned, there's a HUGE thread on this already. Long story short, no typical interlock or transfer switch will work properly with the truck for powering a home due to it having its own neutral bond. When that's hooked up to your home wiring, which has its own neutral bond, you end up with a ground fault detected by your truck because there are two places where the neutral is bonded to ground (Which is a no-no for household wiring). You can either A) Disconnect the ground like your electrician did, which isn't quite kosher and opens the door for the potential of a short at the truck, or B) get a special transfer switch on a subpanel that switches your neutrals over as well, disconnecting the circuits being powered by the truck from the ground-neutral bond in your panel so the only bond is the one in the truck.

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Controller
Like already mentioned, there's a HUGE thread on this already. Long story short, no typical interlock or transfer switch will work properly with the truck for powering a home due to it having its own neutral bond. When that's hooked up to your home wiring, which has its own neutral bond, you end up with a ground fault detected by your truck because there are two places where the neutral is bonded to ground (Which is a no-no for household wiring). You can either A) Disconnect the ground like your electrician did, which isn't quite kosher and opens the door for the potential of a short at the truck, or B) get a special transfer switch on a subpanel that switches your neutrals over as well, disconnecting the circuits being powered by the truck from the ground-neutral bond in your panel so the only bond is the one in the truck.
Thank you for the detailed response - so what my electrician did is save correct?!

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
I can’t comment whether or not this is safe with your truck. The GFI in the truck offers extra protection and the ground is technically connected via the neutral wire.

Selling your truck, buying a cheap generator, and reusing this transfer switch is unsafe. I hope the electrician wrote a warning on the transfer switch. In a rainy situation the cheap generator is not grounded and does not have GFI. You might get a shock or worse if your wet hand touches a wet generator and your feet are wet too…

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Controller
I can’t comment whether or not this is safe with your truck. The GFI in the truck offers extra protection and the ground is technically connected via the neutral wire.

Selling your truck, buying a cheap generator, and reusing this transfer switch is unsafe. I hope the electrician wrote a warning on the transfer switch. In a rainy situation the cheap generator is not grounded and does not have GFI. You might get a shock or worse if your wet hand touches a wet generator and your feet are wet too…
Thank you, this is helpful! So it sounds like it’s safe as long as I only use the Truck as the generator - and not some mobile one.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Thank you for the detailed response - so what my electrician did is save correct?!
Technically, no. The situations where something could go wrong are somewhat limited, and a few things would need to go wrong, but if they do, it could also be deadly, so you really shouldn't be taking chances. If anyone inspected it, it would fail, as others have said, it's technically not to code.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Controller
Technically, no. The situations where something could go wrong are somewhat limited, and a few things would need to go wrong, but if they do, it could also be deadly, so you really shouldn't be taking chances. If anyone inspected it, it would fail, as others have said, it's technically not to code.
Apologies for my ignorance - numbers are my profession, how do you make it up to code or “SAFE”

I can call another electrician - thanks for the info!

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Controller

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
To make it safe and to code you need a different transfer switch, and a different electrician who understands why you need it.

OP
OP
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Controller
To make it safe and to code you need a different transfer switch, and a different electrician who understands why you need it.
Did you install a transfer switch, can you recommend one?
Sponsored