Sponsored

91heelncville

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Well this thread heated up fast. If you don't want the feature, don't get it. If you want to try out the feature, and I assume (like me) are planning to test its capabilities and limitations before trusting it, then get it.
Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I wonder if the equipment can be added later if you don’t get Prep Package on your order.

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
The real question is this.
Will there be a FUTURE UPGRADE to a actual FULL ON HANDS FREE AUTOPILOT at some point in the future.??

What we are getting now is a highly glorified Cruise Control.
So long as they are tracking EYE PLACEMENT, this is not a legitimate "Auto-Pilot".

But I ordered it in my new 21, and will be more than happy to have this next step in technology in my truck..;)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ford F-150 F-150 Hands-Free Active Drive Assist Pricing Announced, Available Q3 2021 1604082303705

Ah, this may be part of that price gap for an equally configured KR vs Plat vs Limited. (as equal as possible)

When I was trying out the trims, the KR and Plat came to same price but Limited was always multiple $k higher, and it looks like the 2.0 prep was automatically rolled in (I was leaving it unchecked on my KR/Plat).

Also, we can't control what OTHER drivers stupidly do, and that has always been the case whether there is auto assist or not. Drivers are constantly texting and looking at their phones more often recent years as well (which sucks). I work in tech and am excited to see how well this assist will work, while I will NOT be taking my attention from the road away to do so. I guarantee that people are making risky decisions all the time like eating with both hands, looking at phone gps or urgent texts, or even typing something in. This would only make those situations *already* happening every day, less risky.

Everything I have seen has been marketed as "assist" and not full autonomous for Ford (maybe I'm wrong?). But again, even the tesla drivers caught on video sleeping, that is a stupid driver decision and that driver may have made the decision to drive tired *anyway* (a decision that again already is done all over the world daily, putting people at risk) and risk falling asleep at the wheel and causing an accident. We don't know. We can't engineer away bad decisions regardless but I do not personally believe that the added tech will increase the number of bad decisions or increase the already existing danger of getting on the road with potential morons all over the place.

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
A BIG "No Thank You" to hands-free driving! I can't imagine this even working in Ohio with how people drive there (let alone the Chicago area). Maybe in the middle of Montana?

Vehicles should never be made with this feature. Sorry, but my opinion.
Data actually tells us that the computer is better than humans at this. Kids born today may never learn to drive, at least like we do.

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
I’m really not a fan of self-driving technology. We see all the stories about Teslas crashing while on auto-pilot. Yes, Tesla’s quality is rubbish. But what we’re doing is taking the possibility of human error out of the responsibility for driving, and just shifting that to a dependency on technology which needs to be error-proof, while being able to anticipate or successfully react to every possible scenario. I’d much rather keep the responsibility for piloting in human hands, supplemented by crash-prevention assists.
It should have replied/quoted you. It wasn't my intention to whack the hornets' nest.

I've had way too many close calls lately, but have never been in an accident where it was my fault, and I'm not a young kid.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Our primary usage is towing. So, is this feature usable when towing? In our case, a small 5-th wheel....

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Our primary usage is towing. So, is this feature usable when towing? In our case, a small 5-th wheel....
Highly doubtful, based on the unpredictability of the load and the trucks inability to adapt to that.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Oh man, I sure wouldn't want to count on that. With the standard 96" trailer width we don't get much margin between the lines on most roads. Will I try it to see if it works out of curiosity? Heck yes, with my hands hovering over the wheel. But man that would be scary the first time a big air-pusher passes me.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I think so too! I am not at all interested in hands free automated driving. I do wonder if these systems are better at spotting deer or wildlife at dusk, etc. So, thinking that if driver is paying attention and use the system to assist - it might be superior....