F-150 Coil Springs

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
So I just read the full review by Consumer Reports on the F-150 and they really rave about the ride of the Dodge compared to Ford. Something about leaf springs vs. coil springs. Why does Ford not use them?
Sponsored

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
So I just read the full review by Consumer Reports on the F-150 and they really rave about the ride of the Dodge compared to Ford. Something about leaf springs vs. coil springs. Why does Ford not use them?
We just traded in a 2018 RAM 2500 Limited with rear coil springs. I can tell you that the new Platinum F150 rides 10 times better.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Hmmm
Leaf springs been around since the horse & buggy days.

coils have their drawbacks as far as load capabilities

coils made their debut on light duty pickups in 1960 when GM moved to independent front suspension, followed by Ford in 66 with the I-Beam and finally Dodge after the 70s rolled in.

rear coils appeared also in 1960 on the Chevrolet and some GMC and lasted til about 71-72 as they went back to leafs in 73..

easier to get a variable rate on a leaf, and if extra support is needed, it can be done without unladen ride quality.

leafs have their drawbacks, sure. But this is a truck designed to do stuff other than make you think you are riding in a 79 TownCar ( the last REAL car ever built).

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I like my F-150 and think it rides well and is tops on features, but coil springs are state of the art.
Sponsored