Sponsored

Extended warranty is fixed price or negotiable?

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Is the extended warranty a hard fixed price or cost or is this something that is negotiable while dealing for a vehicle, specifically a 2021 F150?
Sponsored

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I bought mine at Flood Ford for a much lower cost. I didn't try to get a local dealer to match, as I bought it six months after I bought my 2016 F-150. For my 2021, I will bring in the Flood Ford price and ask to match. Fredm2002

OP
OP

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
This is a very valuable piece of information!! Thanks so much!!

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
it's always negotiable. The dealer will generally try to charge you 100% markup. Get your quote from Flood Ford (or similar) and make the dealer hit that price. Otherwise buy it independently.
https://www.floodfordesp.com/
That is really useful information, and perfectly timed for me. I've had my 2020 Raptor for 1 week now and was heading back to the dealership tomorrow after work to lock in the extended warrantee, which I refused to do as part of the financing total.

Thank you Snake...

Sponsored

C130

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2019 Navigator
Occupation
Airline Pilot
I took the Flood Ford info to my dealer and used that to negotiate. The finance guy agreed to match their prices but did say there were a few add ons that could affect the price some. One was first day rental costs, I can’t recall the other couple of items but I wasn’t interested in them. I did add on the rental.

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
You can purchase the extended warranty all the way up until the factory warranty expires. An argument could be made to wait the three years before you buy it. If you sell or total the truck in those three years, the extended warranty that you paid for up front is wasted expense.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
You can purchase the extended warranty all the way up until the factory warranty expires. An argument could be made to wait the three years before you buy it. If you sell or total the truck in those three years, the extended warranty that you paid for up front is wasted expense.
I totally agree! It is definitely a waste of money if you sell your truck within 3 years. You get a refund on the extended warranty but it’s only a partial refund.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
How do these prices change as the truck gets older? Any reason not to wait until it is near end of 3yr/36k warranty?

Sponsored

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Management Advisory Consulting
How do these prices change as the truck gets older? Any reason not to wait until it is near end of 3yr/36k warranty?
I believe the pricing tables are based somewhat on how many months from new your truck is. I just checked & the warranty is a couple hundred $ more if you pick 36-41 months vs 12 months. Their prices could also go up in the next three years as well. Just things to consider.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I believe the pricing tables are based somewhat on how many months from new your truck is. I just checked & the warranty is a couple hundred $ more if you pick 36-41 months vs 12 months. Their prices could also go up in the next three years as well. Just things to consider.
Yep - in my case I have purchased the extended warranty a couple time (planning to keep the truck forever) - in each case the truck was sold near 36 months - I was able to get a refund prorated but in reality did not get any use from the warranty.
thinking on the next go round I will wait to see if I actually do keep the truck (also my dealer included a lifetime powertrain warranty so that diminishes the benefit /need of an extended)

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Management Advisory Consulting
Yep - in my case I have purchased the extended warranty a couple time (planning to keep the truck forever) - in each case the truck was sold near 36 months - I was able to get a refund prorated but in reality did not get any use from the warranty.
thinking on the next go round I will wait to see if I actually do keep the truck (also my dealer included a lifetime powertrain warranty so that diminishes the benefit /need of an extended)
Yeah, if that's been your history it seems like the smart way to go this time. I keep saying I'll keep my trucks forever & they keep coming out with innovations that "force" me into them haha. I'm pretty proud I kept my 2015 until now, but there wasn't any reason to trade in until the '21 came out.
Sponsored