Extended Service Plans ESPs

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
No, no success, they don't sell any Ford plan. And Yes, they do try to add few bucks with their own plan. They sold me (well, it was "already prepared" with the rest of the paperwork) an ESP coverage through EVP something, can't remember the exact name [EDIT: EG Assurance, ETHOS Group), they don't use Ziegler or the other plans. It was ~ $2200 for 6 years/100K and $100 deductible. I took it because it was rolled into my financing and I had 30 days to cancel for full refund.
The Ziegler plan that I bought was cheaper and I got more (8/100K/Zero Deuct/Lights/1st Day Rental).
Now read this: I already cancelled it, a week after taking delivery. What they failed to mention is that while it is fully cancelable within 30 days, if you roll the plan into your finance with Ford Credit, you don't actually get your $2200 (or whatever your cost is) back to your pocket because it is part of the loan. The refund will be applied towards your principal, so say your have 60 months loan, this will actually cut the length of your loan because the loan terms cannot be changed. In my case it cut it from 60 to around 57. Not a big deal, tbh, just annoying that it was not mentioned because I might skip that plan altogether since I had my mind already set on the Ford options anyways.
Wow, I learned something new today because I figured any new Ford dealer would also sell the Ford backed ESP.

Very interesting.
Sponsored

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Question on ESP deductibles

Is the deductible per visit, per issue, etc.?

If I show up to Ford in a single visit with, hypothetically, two broken cameras and my windshield wiper motor has failed, am I responsible for a single deductible? What if the dealership has to order parts and I have to come back again?

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Question on ESP deductibles

Is the deductible per visit, per issue, etc.?

If I show up to Ford in a single visit with, hypothetically, two broken cameras and my windshield wiper motor has failed, am I responsible for a single deductible? What if the dealership has to order parts and I have to come back again?
Each “visit“ to the dealer for ESP work and a different problem means a deductible charge.

I‘m not saying it can’t happen but the odds of one having multiple problems at the same time for a trip to the dealer for ESP work is very rare.

If parts have to be ordered and you have to bring your vehicle back for ESP work, you will not be charged another deductible when you bring your vehicle back after the ordered parts arrive.

Even though it cost more, a situation like this is why the $0 dollar deductible makes sense.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
You are correct.
This is not entirely correct. Apparently, "technically", the full Bumper-to-Bumper that covers everything no questions asked is the first 12/12,000. I believe the coverage is a bit different years 2/3 and 12,001 and up. That's what they explained to me at Granger and this is what the ESP's roll is - to extend the first year's coverage beyond.

Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
This is not entirely correct. Apparently, "technically", the full Bumper-to-Bumper that covers everything no questions asked is the first 12/12,000. I believe the coverage is a bit different years 2/3 and 12,001 and up. That's what they explained to me at Granger and this is what the ESP's roll is - to extend the first year's coverage beyond.
Huh? I bought the ESP but having said that I have never heard that a 3yr 36K mile warranty only lasts 12 months WTH?

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Huh? I bought the ESP but having said that I have never heard that a 3yr 36K mile warranty only lasts 12 months WTH?
I probably did not explain it correctly because tbh I am not sure I fully understand it either, but AFAIK there is a difference in coverage between year 1/12K miles vs. years 2/3 12,001-36,000 miles, even though it is technically called bumper to bumper 3 years/36,000.

Edit:

Here is an example:

Tires
Unlike many other manufacturer warranties, the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty also covers defective tires up to 36,000 miles. How much you pay to replace your tires is determined by how many miles you’ve driven:

• 1-12,000 miles—Ford covers 100% of the parts
  • 12,001-24,000 miles—Ford covers 60% of the parts
  • 21,001-36,000—Ford covers 30% of the parts
Additional Coverage
Ford throws in a few extra warranties for select items normally considered wear and tear:

• Wiper blades—6 months
  • Wheel alignments—12 months or 12,000 miles
  • Tire balancing—12 months or 12,000 miles
  • Brake pad/lining replacement—12 months or 18,000 miles
During the 1st year/12K, Ford will full cover wheel alignment for example, as a warranty issue. It won't in the following 2 years as it will then fall under normal wear and tear. Same for Tire Balancing, or tire damage.
So while it is bumper to bumper for the full 3 years, there are items that will be covered in year 1, but will be considered wear and tear going forward.
Hence why it is "Limited" warranty.

Last edited:

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I probably did not explain it correctly because tbh I am not sure I fully understand it either, but AFAIK there is a difference in coverage between year 1/12K miles vs. years 2/3 12,001-36,000 miles, even though it is technically called bumper to bumper 3 years/36,000.

Edit:

Here is an example:

Tires
Unlike many other manufacturer warranties, the Ford New Vehicle Limited Warranty also covers defective tires up to 36,000 miles. How much you pay to replace your tires is determined by how many miles you’ve driven:

• 1-12,000 miles—Ford covers 100% of the parts
  • 12,001-24,000 miles—Ford covers 60% of the parts
  • 21,001-36,000—Ford covers 30% of the parts
Additional Coverage
Ford throws in a few extra warranties for select items normally considered wear and tear:

• Wiper blades—6 months
  • Wheel alignments—12 months or 12,000 miles
  • Tire balancing—12 months or 12,000 miles
  • Brake pad/lining replacement—12 months or 18,000 miles
During the 1st year/12K, Ford will full cover wheel alignment for example, as a warranty issue. It won't in the following 2 years as it will then fall under normal wear and tear. Same for Tire Balancing, or tire damage.
So while it is bumper to bumper for the full 3 years, there are items that will be covered in year 1, but will be considered wear and tear going forward.
Hence why it is "Limited" warranty.
All those items above are maintenance items that get changed during ownership of vehicles that Ford has generously offered to extend an extra coverage for. Those to me are not really bumper to bumper parts that should really last the lifetime of ownership like electronics, engine/drivetrain/emission, and buttons/switches, etc.

Sponsored

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
With PB /7.2 PP equipped trucks the ESP definitely seems more important consideration. In particular you speculate on what is your exposure to the the PP system failures may be in the future. On a component basis the RR of the 1.5kw battery seems likely to be $$$$. The takeoffs to get to battery include muffler, coolant lines, drive shaft and fuel tank.
Ford makes it pretty clear in warranty that gradual loss of capacity is normal. Haven’t seen and projections from Ford on expected life of the battery. Have you guys seen that in any specs?

here is the RR document
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...resources/2021_F-150Hybrid_BatteryRemoval.pdf

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
It's probably already been mentioned here or another thread and if so I apologize for repeating it. However I got an email from Lombard a few days ago and Zeigler a few days after that saying FORD is raising the price on Ford Protect aka ESP effective January 5.

Quote from Lambard's site:

Pricing Alert - Effective January 5, 2022!!
Unfortunately, due to economic inflationary pressures and supply shortages in the automotive and vehicle rental industries, Ford Protect has announced to dealers there will be new plan pricing effective on January 5, 2022. Plan price increases will range from $45 to $725. However, for the majority of models the price increase on the most common plans should be in the range of $45 to $140 in most states.

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
It's probably already been mentioned here or another thread and if so I apologize for repeating it. However I got an email from Lombard a few days ago and Zeigler a few days after that saying FORD is raising the price on Ford Protect aka ESP effective January 5.

Quote from Lambard's site:

Pricing Alert - Effective January 5, 2022!!
Unfortunately, due to economic inflationary pressures and supply shortages in the automotive and vehicle rental industries, Ford Protect has announced to dealers there will be new plan pricing effective on January 5, 2022. Plan price increases will range from $45 to $725. However, for the majority of models the price increase on the most common plans should be in the range of $45 to $140 in most states.
Got the email from Zeigler myself. I asked, still can't buy until truck is delivered..

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
If your truck is going to be delivered soon and you (should) already have the VIN, you could probably just guess the mileage, say maybe 36 miles but the miles at delivery doesn't really matter because all ESPs start at 0 miles anyway. Just a thought.
They said they go by in service date. Mine isn't going to be built until 1/11 so sol on that. Since I had done a quick quote a couple of weeks ago and specifically asked about new year price increases they said in my last email that they would do their best to honor their quote. (I'm not holding my breath) All the warranties I've bought in the past start at the miles when you buy not 0. Luckily it's never been an issue so far.

Regardless I can't see a lowly single cab going up in price a whole lot. If it does I'll just roll the dice and go with the warranty provided instead of extending it.

Last edited:

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Got the email from Zeigler myself. I asked, still can't buy until truck is delivered..
Ya I was going to say you might be able to buy it anyway but then I realized when they input the data into Ford's system it will probably show that you haven't taken delivery yet.
Sponsored