First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I have not had an ESP on a vehicle in a long time. I was thinking of getting on on my 21 f-150 because of all of the electronics. Are You planning on getting an ESP, if so, which one and why?
Sponsored

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
I have not had an ESP on a vehicle in a long time. I was thinking of getting on on my 21 f-150 because of all of the electronics. Are You planning on getting an ESP, if so, which one and why?
I plan to get an extended warranty (8 yrs 100k miles). As far as I can tell, extended service only amortizes routine maintenance and additionally provides for some parts replacement due to wear. I will bank on the reliability of the truck.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I will get one but not at the time of purchase. There are online dealers that can give you a really good deal. I will give my purchasing dealer a chance to compete for the business. Fred M>

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I agree with you and had one on my 2018 for the reasons you state, first time ever for me to.

Another reason I did it was to try and keep it longer than I have in the past. Found such a good deal on line at Flood Ford it was a no brainier for me.

It is cheaper it you purchase during the first year and under 12,000 miles. They pro-rate any unused and rebate back to you if you cancel before expiration. I did with Flood and it was painless and easy.

I plan on purchasing first week, I upgrade the car rental, which is cheap.

I will give my local dealer another shot on this truck. Last time they acted like they were not making any money at that price but would match it. Because of that I just went ahead and purchased on line.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I agree with you and had one on my 2018 for the reasons you state, first time ever for me to.

Another reason I did it was to try and keep it longer than I have in the past. Found such a good deal on line at Flood Ford it was a no brainier for me.

It is cheaper it you purchase during the first year and under 12,000 miles. They pro-rate any unused and rebate back to you if you cancel before expiration. I did with Flood and it was painless and easy.

I will give my local dealer another shot on this truck. Last time they acted like they were not making any money at that price but would match it. Because of that I just went ahead and purchased on line.
Yep, I tend to keep my trucks a long time also. I am mostly concerned with all of the Electronics and the LED headlight/tail light replacement. One of those going out after the standard warranty would probably pay for the extended warranty. I will also give my dealer a chance to bid on the extended warranty.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yep, I tend to keep my trucks a long time also. I am mostly concerned with all of the Electronics and the LED headlight/tail light replacement. One of those going out after the standard warranty would probably pay for the extended warranty. I will also give my dealer a chance to bid on the extended warranty.
You got that right, one LED headlight I bet is over $1,000.

That reminds me on the ESP I will need to select "bulb replacement" for that is an option.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military

I’ve never done an extended warranty before so please forgive my ignorance, but wouldn’t you wait until after the 3 year ford bumper to bumper warranty expires? Otherwise aren’t you paying extra for two warranties at the same time?

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
In general it's cheaper to get the warranty at time of purchase or early on as prices go up each year you get closer to the end of the factory warranty. The price can also be added to the finance amount reducing your out of pocket up front costs.
That being said, you can usually find a better price online for the exact same coverage. This is one of the best places I've found for extended warranty coverage. The plan is directly from Ford and the same one that the dealer will try to sell you.
https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/process/quickquote.aspx?type=primary

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’ve never done an extended warranty before so please forgive my ignorance, but wouldn’t you wait until after the 3 year ford bumper to bumper warranty expires? Otherwise aren’t you paying extra for two warranties at the same time?
Actually no, there are options you ca chose that enhance the factory warranty from day one. It is the rental car options and they are cheap. You are right the rest of the extended warranty doesn't kick in until 36 months or 36,000 on the bumper to bumper and 60 months 60,000 on the drive train.

That is what you are actually paying for is the added part to the end. If you plan to keep your vehicle longer than 3/36, the rate to purchase is cheaper the first year than adding it in the 3rd year. It's more than just the annual price increases.

Flood Ford also has a good on line sign up for the Ford plan. Floods will tell you right then on the website what you will be paying with what options, years you choose and mileage you select. All without submitting anything, so it's a good see what you will pay tool.

So you can play with all the info and see the difference without actually submitting it. You can see the higher cost if you show the truck you want to add it too is almost 3 years and almost 36k miles.

All unused portions will be rebated back to you if you cancel, it is also transferable, so a good selling tool.

I do highly recommend adding the bulb replacement option and day 1 car rental. Both are very cheap and if you have LED headlights, they are not.

I don't put a lot of miles per year on my truck and with all the options and 8 years 48,000 miles was just over $800. Your dealer will want double that.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
On my 2015 the dealership sold me MPP with disappearing deductible if the service was done at the dealership I bought it from. I think it was 6 years 120k miles, or maybe 8 years? It was pretty solid. $100 deductible from anywhere else I took it to, covered a rental, etc. The only thing it didn't cover was when my pano roof glass cracked from the stupid track breaking for the 3rd time. That wasn't a happy time for me.
When I sold my truck a couple of months back I was able to get a $1200 refund - truck was at 86k. That was pretty nice as I did use it a number of times. 3x for the pano roof, the high pressure AC switch had to be replaced, the APMI (sync/radio) went out and they replaced that, and I know there was one more thing but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

I'd give a +1 for that route. However, I'm also not opposed to hearing what else is out there.

Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I don't put a lot of miles per year on my truck and with all the options and 8 years 48,000 miles was just over $800. Your dealer will want double that.
Bob, is the 8/48,000 on top of the 3/36,000, so essentially 11 years/84,000 miles? I've been looking at 6 or 7 years and over 100,000 miles on the assumption that I'm starting at day 1, mile 1 (or 10, or whatever is on the odometer when I take delivery).

Also, for those reading from Florida, Flood is NOT licensed (according to their web site) to sell ESP's in Florida. You'll have to go with Zeigler Ford. Pricing is still less than what a dealer charges.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am so sorry for the multiple posts.
The site is a bit wonky today.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Bob, is the 8/48,000 on top of the 3/36,000, so essentially 11 years/84,000 miles? I've been looking at 6 or 7 years and over 100,000 miles on the assumption that I'm starting at day 1, mile 1 (or 10, or whatever is on the odometer when I take delivery).

Also, for those reading from Florida, Flood is NOT licensed (according to their web site) to sell ESP's in Florida. You'll have to go with Zeigler Ford. Pricing is still less than what a dealer charges.
No worries

Good point, did not know that about Florida.

No, the 8 years is total age and mileage. Its the same with Zeigler.

I have no preference with either one except I will go with who is cheaper with the same options, I do have experience with Flood but just on my last truck. Don't think I wouldn't switch if the price is better.

These online ESP sales has really made a difference. I don't know if dealers are lower their price more now or not but when I got my last one it was like 1/2 the price for the exact same thing. A no brainier...

With all the electronics and cost of these parts, I just won't own a vehicle out of full warranty. Since I'm trying to do better and keep my vehicles longer, this seemed to be the best way to go. Even if I don't I get most my money back or if I sell it myself it is a good selling tool.

Last edited:

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military

Do some ESPs only apply in some states? I’m military and with frequent relocations I’m going to need the warranty to be good in many different states.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do some ESPs only apply in some states? I’m military and with frequent relocations I’m going to need the warranty to be good in many different states.
The Ford ESP offered by Ziegler and Flood are good at any Ford dealer in the US.
The issue with Florida is that you have to be a licensed dealer in Florida in order to sell the ESP's online. Anyone doubt that Florida car dealers carry clout with the Florida legislature???

Fortunately, Ziegler is licensed in Florida. Flood is not.
Sponsored