• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extended Range & Trims

Ciancagl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
Sales
Hey everyone. A couple questions:
- The 300 mile extended range vs. 230 mile standard range. A 70 mile difference. If you think about your commute/camping trip, etc as a round trip, you’re really paying quite the mark up for the ability to go 35 miles further away. Any other advantages of ER battery I’m missing? (I’m assuming a couple thousand LBs of towing?)

- Pro model, the all vinyl doesn’t look too bad, anyone know if cloth is an option? If not, how bad is the smell of all vinyl in the other F150’s?

- Have small kids. Anyone have ANY idea of the backseats will have tether anchors for forward facing car seats in all trim levels? (Not the anchors under the seats, the anchors above and behind the seats for forward facing)
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
A few other advantages of the extended range battery

- Increased power (426hp to 563hp). Almost 140hp is a very substantial increase.

- Extended range comes with a free 80A home EVSE, that is needed for the home power backup option

- For longer range road trips, the extra range means another 30 minutes to an hour between charging stops (depending on weather, road conditions, speed, etc.)

- As you mentioned, you need the extended range battery (and max tow package) to get the 10,000lba towing. You do lose 200lbs of payload however (2,000lbs for standard battery, and 1,800lbs for extended range)

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The ER battery will also add about 10 miles of additional range per minute when fast charging so you will save 15 minutes when adding 150 miles.

Additionally, the 230/300 range quotes are only 'targeted' numbers at this time. Although I wouldn't expect the final EPA numbers to be greatly different, they may be a bit higher. I would also expect real world numbers without a load in the truck to be higher as the Mach-e EPA range seems to be about 10-15% lower than most people are experiencing.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Additionally, the 230/300 range quotes are only 'targeted' numbers at this time. Although I wouldn't expect the final EPA numbers to be greatly different, they may be a bit higher. I would also expect real world numbers without a load in the truck to be higher as the Mach-e EPA range seems to be about 10-15% lower than most people are experiencing.

I am expecting the f150 to get it's epa ratings and no more... Unless you are just city driving or going sub 60 on freeway ( no towing)

mach-e over performs at speed, it's a realtively aero and light weight car. By default it has better physics going for it.

The f150 is basically a large brick and has no aerodynamic advantages. The weight of 1000 matters much less than the aerodrynamics of the truck when at constant freeway speeds which is what anyone really cares about when thinking of range.

1k is about 15% added weight an already very heavy truck (6500).

It's already expected that the platinum will get less than 300 epa because it uses 21 inch wheels. They are likely getting to 300 by a thread.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Hey everyone. A couple questions:
- The 300 mile extended range vs. 230 mile standard range. A 70 mile difference. If you think about your commute/camping trip, etc as a round trip, you’re really paying quite the mark up for the ability to go 35 miles further away. Any other advantages of ER battery I’m missing? (I’m assuming a couple thousand LBs of towing?)

- Pro model, the all vinyl doesn’t look too bad, anyone know if cloth is an option? If not, how bad is the smell of all vinyl in the other F150’s?

- Have small kids. Anyone have ANY idea of the backseats will have tether anchors for forward facing car seats in all trim levels? (Not the anchors under the seats, the anchors above and behind the seats for forward facing)
300 or 230 is a question only you can answer.It really depends on how fr you need to go on a regular basis and how much the extra range is worth to you.

The seats will be the same as current F-150s so any dealer or 2021 F-150 driver will know. Post that question to the rest of the forum (non-Lightning crowd).

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It's a federal requirement that two of the three rear seats have both lower and upper car seat attachment points

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
In my '18 F150 SCREW the upper tethers don't run over the top of the seat and down the back of the seat to a hook (like they do in our Odyssey). They run through a loop under/behind the headrest and sideways to connect to a loop under/behind the headrest in the center seat. Both outward seats do this, where the tether strap runs through the loop in their own headrest and then over to connect to the loop near the center seat headrest.

Based on the article link below, it looks like that's unchanged for '21 ICE F150 and the new Lightning will probably be the same.

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-car-seats-fit-in-a-2021-ford-f-150-432829/

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Kia Optima, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
Interior wise, beyond the 15in screen, the F150L should be identical to the ICE F150 so whatever kids seat setup is there should translate.

When deciding between ER and SR batteries, daily driving is usually the primary consideration. However, your climate is also a factor. Battery performance (range) will decrease in cold weather. I haven't seen anywhere that says the F150L has a heat pump to increase range during cold weather. Also, battery capacitance will fall over time....no real numbers to provide but I think conservatively you can expect ~10% range loss in like 10 years. But this number depends on how good Fords Battery Tech is and also your commitment to battery longevity.

I also live in MD, and will most likely get the ER. We get cold weather but its not like super cold all the time in the winter when compared to the midwest or new england - so i expect some type of cold weather range dip but nothing compared to the more northern states. Also, I plan on keeping this for as long as I can, so the ER battery will provide more range in 10 years.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I'm getting the ER for all the reasons above but also I'm going to be taking this on overlanding trips. The extra range will be very helpful.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Interior wise, beyond the 15in screen, the F150L should be identical to the ICE F150 so whatever kids seat setup is there should translate.

When deciding between ER and SR batteries, daily driving is usually the primary consideration. However, your climate is also a factor. Battery performance (range) will decrease in cold weather. I haven't seen anywhere that says the F150L has a heat pump to increase range during cold weather. Also, battery capacitance will fall over time....no real numbers to provide but I think conservatively you can expect ~10% range loss in like 10 years. But this number depends on how good Fords Battery Tech is and also your commitment to battery longevity.

I also live in MD, and will most likely get the ER. We get cold weather but its not like super cold all the time in the winter when compared to the midwest or new england - so i expect some type of cold weather range dip but nothing compared to the more northern states. Also, I plan on keeping this for as long as I can, so the ER battery will provide more range in 10 years.
Ditto. I’m in Maryland as well. I plan to drive frequently to kayaking spots in WV and PA, as well as towing a travel trailer. I’ll definitely go with Extended Range. That will also get me the 80A Pro Charger and home electrical backup.

I’ll probably go with the Lariat or Lariat + with the Max Tow package. I’m less certain on the trim though.

Sponsored

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
Personally I live 200 miles from "home" and we commute there frequently. The standard range is just cutting it too close factoring in cold weather, cargo, high speeds, degradation. I'm not willing to stop and charge on that journey and very few chargers even exist along the route. The fact that they won't sell the base extended range has caused me to cancel my reservation even though this is the only vehicle I want to purchase.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Extended range me me because this will be our family road trip vehicle. Trucks are just so comfortable on long drives and no worries about storage space!

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Extended range me me because this will be our family road trip vehicle. Trucks are just so comfortable on long drives and no worries about storage space!
And having independent rear suspension and the low center of gravity, this truck will handle even better on the freeway than the current truck.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ditto. I’m in Maryland as well. I plan to drive frequently to kayaking spots in WV and PA, as well as towing a travel trailer. I’ll definitely go with Extended Range. That will also get me the 80A Pro Charger and home electrical backup.

I’ll probably go with the Lariat or Lariat + with the Max Tow package. I’m less certain on the trim though.
Home backup will be available on the standard or extended battery if you have the 9.6kw pro power Option. With the SR battery, you just have to buy the 80amp charger separate if you have the SR battery. They are including it with the ER.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Home backup will be available on the standard or extended battery if you have the 9.6kw pro power Option. With the SR battery, you just have to buy the 80amp charger separate if you have the SR battery. They are including it with the ER.
If you plan to buy the Pro Power Onboard and the 80A Pro Charger, you might as well just get the Extended Range.
Sponsored