Sponsored

Extended Range Fuel Tank Necessity Question?

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
So I know this is based of opinion but I figured I would ask anyway. I have placed and order for a 2.7 XLT 4wd with the payload package and extended range fuel tank. I am concerned about the time frame for this delivery due to all the delays. I have found an almost exact match to my build minus the extended range fuel tank. I will tow very rarely but figured I would enjoy the convenience of filling up less. For those that do not have it do you feel like you need it? For those that do you have it, do you even fill the tank? Does it seem necessary and would you order it again?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have the 36 gallon tank on my 2021. I also had it on my 2018 and my 2016 had the standard tank.

I love the extra fuel capacity simply because there’s more time between fill ups. Yes. I fill the tank full every time.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
This is my first truck in many years with the extended range.
All of my square Chevys had dual saddle tanks.
you can go quite awhile with 42 gallons, even with a 454.
a couple of these trucks had 4.10 gearing, so if you wanted to get to the other side of town, 2 tanks were almost necessary.
I don’t use that kind of fuel anymore, but I hate stopping for fuel.
I don’t remember the last time I stopped for fuel and did not fill up.

The flip side.
no matter how much fuel you are using, or what you are dragging around, it is still a good idea to stop every 250-300 miles for a stretch and or snack.
im older now, so gotta make stops because I am pretty much a nonstop coffee drinker all day.
Take a whiz, refill coffee mug, top off the tank

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I am picky about the quality of fuel I buy. With the extended tank size, I do not have to buy fuel at every pit stop or coke break, I can drive a few hundred extra miles and then fill up. If I buy any gas, it is a fill up always.

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
I think it depends on if you often take extended road trips, not necessarily just towing. I personally like the extra range and minimal stops when traveling.
if you’re one to stop often to use the restroom or get out & stretch then the smaller tank will suit you just fine.

Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Hands down would order 36 gallon again! I had a 50 gallon tank in my F350 - I had a range of 900 miles when not towing! I've had smaller and larger and doing it again would never go small. Some people say, "well it costs a lot to fill" It does, but it's all relative. If I drive 600 miles and fill once or fill twice i've used the same amount of gas. However, I can buy better gas becuase I can go longer and get to the top tier stations than filling up in the middle of nowhere. In addition, I can find gas cheaper than filling up in remote locations becuase of the distance. Once you've had a large tank you'll be glad you have it. And this is true especially when towing becuase your milage drops.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
First time I've got the extended range fuel tank. Would 100% do again. It's so nice to have almost 800 miles of fuel range should a hurricane or other natural disaster occur.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
My 2013 FX4 has the 36 gallon tank.........I always fillup when we have bad weather.....Every little bit of extra weight in the back can't hurt!

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
I ordered mine with the larger tank for the towing and because I sometimes do longer distance driving in places with no (or crappy quality) gas stations for long stretches.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Considering that you live in Florida, get the 36 gallon tank and never let it get below 1/2 a tank during hurricane season. Then fill to the top whenever a tropical storm is reported; just in case!

My other trucks and vans all had the standard tanks and around 300 miles on the trip meter, you start getting anxious and drive slower. Where I used to live, gas stations would mostly close at 9pm and only if you were local would you know where the ones that stayed open later were.

Then during the winter storms, eggs, milk and gasoline all go into short supply because of panic buying.

Another option is to see if the dealer can install the 36 gallon tank on the truck they have now. Really, whoever is doing the ordering for a dealer should be putting the extended range tank in every truck that they can when their geography experiences frequent natural disasters.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
? on the 36 gallon fuel tank. Have it on my 2010 F150 Lariat, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
I have had both and I didn’t get the extended range tank in my 21. I’m old with a bad back so it does me good to stop and fuel more often to stretch a bit. Plus it ain’t worth the money there asking for the bigger tank. You don’t see a red cent for it on trade. See there is a method to everyone’s madness.

metallikatz3

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tacoma
Coming from my current truck where I get ~280 miles per 21 gallon tank I can't wait to get a 36 gallon tank so I don't have to plan trips around which towns have gas.

Especially while towing and getting closer to 150 miles per tank and going 120 miles between towns that have gas stations having that 36 gallon tank is a huge benefit for peace of mind

OP
OP

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
Love all the answers, think I will continue to wait on my build. Guess I need to learn to have more patience!!
Sponsored