Sponsored

Extended Range Fuel Tank Necessity Question?

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I have the 36 gallon tank on my 21. Had it on my 18 as well. I really like it because I don't have to fill up as often.
Sponsored

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Love all the answers, think I will continue to wait on my build. Guess I need to learn to have more patience!!
Get the 36 tank. I got my truck at the end of January with a full tank, I have not had to fill yet. I got about 700 miles on the tank, computer says I have 40 more miles.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the 36 gallon tank with the ProPower 2 kW option with the 5.0, figured it would add more time to use the truck as a generator in an emergency.

gspete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It is sure nice having the extra range, ~700 miles. However, keep in mind that there are only ~30 gallons of usable fuel. Also, It seems the trip computer is pretty accurate.

jfg6869

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Velocity Blue Sport XLT Screw 3.5 EB
First time I've got the extended range fuel tank. Would 100% do again. It's so nice to have almost 800 miles of fuel range should a hurricane or other natural disaster occur.
800 mile range? Not even close

Sponsored

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
800 mile range? Not even close
I drive fairly conservative but per EPA my truck gets 23 highway. I've been getting close to that number. Using 34 gallons out of the 36 says you should be around 782 miles. Math says I'm close.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Mine is showing 488 miles remaining on a full tank but I haven’t seen the best mpg on the first tank. It’s still almost double what I see when I fill up my ’01 Navigator and hopefully will improve after break-in and some highway miles.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
It is sure nice having the extra range, ~700 miles. However, keep in mind that there are only ~30 gallons of usable fuel. Also, It seems the trip computer is pretty accurate.
Just filled my tank for the first time, took 32 gallons, got 715 miles. Trip computer said I only had 5 miles left, I wonder how far she really could have gone. I wonder if they make a lockable cap, I hate to lose 30+ gallons.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eventually, someone will figure out a locking system for the capless fillers, my stepfather has a Honda Ridgeline and the evap system started showing fault codes because his tank had been siphoned. They wouldn’t cover it under warranty and it cost him $700 to repair. Absolutely ridiculous and a common enough experience that I have seen others who had the exact experience. This is a problem common to all capless fillers.

Arizona gives out brand new gas caps for free to people whose cars gas gaps don’t seal. What do you do, when instead of a $5 part that anyone can replace; it’s an integrated part of your gas filler neck? Ridiculous!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When gas was $5 a gallon in AZ, there were people in my neighborhood getting their tanks drained, not by thieves siphoning tanks but crawling underneath and drilling through the tanks.

Similar problems have been happening with catalytic converters...

Sponsored

gspete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Just filled my tank for the first time, took 32 gallons, got 715 miles. Trip computer said I only had 5 miles left, I wonder how far she really could have gone. I wonder if they make a lockable cap, I hate to lose 30+ gallons.
I have asked all over trying to find a locking solution with no luck. However, Ford has assured that all is secure, sure it is. They tell me that there are two flaps in the fuel fill, kind of like a lock in a river. Anyway if you stick your finger through the first flap you cannot open the second flap. Obviously, when you fill with gas or use that funnel, which is next to your jack, you can defeat the security mechanism. So, don't lose that funnel or you will not be able to add fuel from a gas can, if that your kinda thing.

In summary, it is almost secure and a more secure solution is needed.

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I have asked all over trying to find a locking solution with no luck. However, Ford has assured that all is secure, sure it is. They tell me that there are two flaps in the fuel fill, kind of like a lock in a river. Anyway if you stick your finger through the first flap you cannot open the second flap. Obviously, when you fill with gas or use that funnel, which is next to your jack, you can defeat the security mechanism. So, don't lose that funnel or you will not be able to add fuel from a gas can, if that your kinda thing.

In summary, it is almost secure and a more secure solution is needed.
Thanks for all the great info.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
As stated, someone that wants to steal gas won't attempt to syphon. All that is needed is a cordless drill. Faster....
This is the first vehicle I've had with a locking gas door since my 2016 Corvette that I disabled. I've had capless systems since 2008.
Sponsored