Sponsored

Explain Leveling to me like I am a 2nd Grader

F150 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paint Horse
I am not too proud to ask because I come from the Jeep world and we don't talk in terms of leveling. I think I understand the concept but not to sure about the details.

Questions I have
Is a 2 inch level just raising the front 2 inches to stop the rake look on the truck?
Does a level negativity affect MPG in a substantial way?
Does it affect towing if you level a truck.

Once again sorry for these basic questions, but I have lived in Jeep land for 20 years and I can't ever think of a time where someone mentioned leveling a jeep because there is no need to.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
- Yes: Technically you can also level out the rake by lowering the back, but hardly anyone does. You are correct that this is primarily an astetic choice.

- Sorta: Seems to but driving styles vary so hard to be objective.

- Yes, unless countered. The rake is there so that the truck sits level when towing... once leveled, a trailer may cause you to have a reverse rake or sagging bottom.

Myself, I like the rake but its the differing wheel gaps that bug me more. I will be adding wheel well liners to make it less noticeable.

Not sure what Jeep you are coming from but depending on what it is you have to realize that the Jeep and the F150 are fundamentally designed for different purposes. The Jeep is an off road capable vehicle that can sometimes tow/haul a little and the F150 is a tow/haul vehicle that can go off road. A more comparable vehicle would be the new Bronco which like the Jeep is an off road vehicle that can sometimes tow/haul a little.

NickIowa

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 PB
I would like to ask a couple more simple questions. I do like the look of a leveled truck, however I am curious for me if its more of a hassle then what I want.

1. does leveling affect ride quality?
2. I have read mixed comments about headlights, do they need to be realigned?

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Ride quality is pretty subjective but the difference is minor.

headlights on the F150 should automatically adjust but I’m not sure if that is only on the higher trims (LED headlights up) or if the halogen headlights also adjust on their own.

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
When you raise the front of the truck, it changes the airflow , which does increase fuel consumption. It also effects the handling with a load or when towing, because the rear will now be lower than the front. Of course it effects headlight alignment. I do not level trucks for these reasons, appearance is less important to me than function.

Sponsored

OP
OP
F150 Voodoo

F150 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paint Horse
- Yes: Technically you can also level out the rake by lowering the back, but hardly anyone does. You are correct that this is primarily an astetic choice.

- Sorta: Seems to but driving styles vary so hard to be objective.

- Yes, unless countered. The rake is there so that the truck sits level when towing... once leveled, a trailer may cause you to have a reverse rake or sagging bottom.

Myself, I like the rake but its the differing wheel gaps that bug me more. I will be adding wheel well liners to make it less noticeable.

Not sure what Jeep you are coming from but depending on what it is you have to realize that the Jeep and the F150 are fundamentally designed for different purposes. The Jeep is an off road capable vehicle that can sometimes tow/haul a little and the F150 is a tow/haul vehicle that can go off road. A more comparable vehicle would be the new Bronco which like the Jeep is an off road vehicle that can sometimes tow/haul a little.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
To add to the confusion, you can also remove the rake by lowering the rear. Either by taking out the spacer block between the springs and rear axle to replace them with a thinner one, or with drop shackles that lower the rear by changing the leaf springs geometry.

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
'21 F-150, '08 4Runner, '66 LeMans, '21 CanAm X3
Occupation
sales idiot
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
I'll be Devil's Advocate for a moment on this one.
While the diff is a low point on a lot of vehicles, these trucks seems to have a really low front end, especially with the air dam and the rake that is built into the suspension. Rake is the "tilt" of the vehicle when viewed from the side, where the rear is higher than the front.
Many folks level the truck, which typically involves lifting the front end. There are some considerations when doing this, some are application specific, some not.
Towing:
  • when you lift the front end, then load the bed or attach a heavy trailer, the steering can be negatively affected. It may feel "floatier" in the front, and will tend to wander a bit more. This is because loading the rear end changes the attitude of the front end, and therefor changes the effective alignment.
  • Your headlights WILL not be adjusted correctly if you lift the front end. full stop. most people don't care to re-adjust their headlights, some do. Either way, your headlights will not be aimed correctly after leveling without your adjusting them.
Spacer leveling:
  • Cheap option (it's a puck that goes above the coilover in the spring perches and effectively stacks height)
  • doesn't get you more travel
  • doesn't get you "better" travel
  • looks better than stock
  • changes alignment, perhaps outside of specs

Coilover leveling:
  • More expensive option (this is installing a longer coilover in place of the stock unit, effectively increasing the height between the spring perch and the lower control arm where the coilover mounts).
  • may get you more travel, depending on product
  • may get you "better" travel, depending on the product (more control, less body roll, etc.)
  • changes alignment, perhaps outside of specs (you can mitigate this with quality control arms that will effectively "fix" your caster issues after leveling your truck

for me? I plan on leveling the truck with valved coilovers when they're available that let me dial in the ride the way I want it. I will be adding upper control arms as well, and will retain some of the rake of the vehicle as I plan to tow with this rig and do not want a front-high tow. this means I MAY have to add a 1-inch block in the rear if I can't get valved coilovers in a low enough height.

If you want input on upper control arms, I can help with that too, but it may be another thread, and nothing is really available quite yet (no Camburg or Icon at this point for 2021 F-150's- and yes, I called Icon to confirm).

I hope this helps!

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Mileage will decrease with leveling. However what usually kills the mileage is people often add larger rims and tires (heavier).

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
  • Your headlights WILL not be adjusted correctly if you lift the front end. full stop. most people don't care to re-adjust their headlights, some do. Either way, your headlights will not be aimed correctly after leveling without your adjusting them.
I have zero interesting in leveling as I'm completely indifferent on the looks of level vs rake. But now I have a question on this about the headlights.

I took these measurements before and after hooking up my trailer. I have all stock suspension, tires, etc:

Before (unloaded rake):
Rear ~40"
Front ~37.5"

After (with trailer + WDH):
Rear ~38.25"
Front ~38.25"

So since adding the trailer effectively leveled my truck, does that mean my headlights are now not optimally angled whenever I tow? I thought there was a level-sensor on the trucks (maybe only on upper trims?) so that the headlights compensated, but it was just something I read in passing and probably lodged details in my brain incorrectly.

Thanks!

Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I'll be Devil's Advocate for a moment on this one.
While the diff is a low point on a lot of vehicles, these trucks seems to have a really low front end, especially with the air dam and the rake that is built into the suspension. Rake is the "tilt" of the vehicle when viewed from the side, where the rear is higher than the front.
Many folks level the truck, which typically involves lifting the front end. There are some considerations when doing this, some are application specific, some not.
Towing:
  • when you lift the front end, then load the bed or attach a heavy trailer, the steering can be negatively affected. It may feel "floatier" in the front, and will tend to wander a bit more. This is because loading the rear end changes the attitude of the front end, and therefor changes the effective alignment.
Spacer leveling:
  • Cheap option (it's a puck that goes above the coilover in the spring perches and effectively stacks height)
  • doesn't get you more travel
  • doesn't get you "better" travel
  • changes alignment, perhaps outside of specs

Coilover leveling:
  • More expensive option (this is installing a longer coilover in place of the stock unit, effectively increasing the height between the spring perch and the lower control arm where the coilover mounts).
  • may get you more travel, depending on product
  • may get you "better" travel, depending on the product (more control, less body roll, etc.)
  • changes alignment, perhaps outside of specs (you can mitigate this with quality control arms that will effectively "fix" your caster issues after leveling your truck

for me? I plan on leveling the truck with valved coilovers when they're available that let me dial in the ride the way I want it. I will be adding upper control arms as well, and will retain some of the rake of the vehicle as I plan to tow with this rig and do not want a front-high tow. this means I MAY have to add a 1-inch block in the rear if I can't get valved coilovers in a low enough height.

If you want input on upper control arms, I can help with that too, but it may be another thread, and nothing is really available quite yet (no Camburg or Icon at this point for 2021 F-150's- and yes, I called Icon to confirm).

I hope this helps!
Similar to Icon, I spoke with Fox today and they are still waiting to release their kits for the 2021. They wouldn't share an ETA but implied that they are on the way - "keep an eye out for updates".

I did ask about using the 2020 kits and they said, "While it fits, it is a long ways off on spring rate and tuning from what we plan to provide."

tardman91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
I’m probably going to get a 1.5” level once my tires get a little worn. It still leaves a little rake, doesn’t mess up the angles on your suspension, and let’s you clear larger tires. I had that size on my 2005 SuperCrew and it was perfect.

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Occupation
sales idiot
I have zero interesting in leveling as I'm completely indifferent on the looks of level vs rake. But now I have a question on this about the headlights.

I took these measurements before and after hooking up my trailer. I have all stock suspension, tires, etc:

Before (unloaded rake):
Rear ~40"
Front ~37.5"

Rear ~38.25"
Front ~38.25"

So since adding the trailer effectively leveled my truck, does that mean my headlights are now not optimally angled whenever I tow? I thought there was a level-sensor on the trucks (maybe only on upper trims?) so that the headlights compensated, but it was just something I read in passing and probably lodged details in my brain incorrectly.

Thanks!
the Level alone makes it suboptimal, and adding the trailer makes it worse. that being said, though there IS a legal specification that your vehicle is supposed to be aimed for. You could look that up and then adjust your truck accordingly. I personally wouldn't do it for when the truck is loaded with trailer, I'd just do it unloaded and deal with the folks that may flash you when you tow.

some light reading, if you're interested:
49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment. | CFR | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

Federal Register :: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Occupation
sales idiot

Before (unloaded rake):
Rear ~40"
Front ~37.5"

Rear ~38.25"
Front ~38.25"

Thanks!
Ah, I just reread this. Leave it be. when driving unloaded your truck is fine, and when driving loaded, you may hit some drivers a bit high with your standard lowbeams, but it is what it is. I wouldn't mess with it.

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Before (unloaded rake):
Rear ~40"
Front ~37.5"

Rear ~38.25"
Front ~38.25"

Thanks!
Yes only on 502a and up
Sponsored