Exhaust Filter Warning

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Just got the attached warning about an exhaust system malfunction. I filled the DEF tank full after it was almost empty and now I have this warning and a check engine light. Will this just fix itself or do I have to go to my least favorite place ever called the Ford service department?
Ford F-150 Exhaust Filter Warning C11F90C5-7846-4FB9-86E4-7D0FC497C280
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
on my 21 250 it meant the DPF needed cleaning either by driving at speeds and load high enough to get the dpf hot to burn off ash, or it would do an auto regen while driving by adding fuel into the exhaust stream to build up heat to burn off ash
if it does not go away after a regen cycle you may need to pop into the dealer

OP
OP
Paul Neubauer

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
on my 21 250 it meant the DPF needed cleaning either by driving at speeds and load high enough to get the dpf hot to burn off ash, or it would do an auto regen while driving by adding fuel into the exhaust stream to build up heat to burn off ash
if it does not go away after a regen cycle you may need to pop into the dealer
The truck runs for an hour and a half each way to work and has always done its auto regen without issue. The tank was almost completely empty this time and I refilled it to full using the Motorcraft DEF as usual. The next day it threw a check engine light. I wonder if the nozzle plugged up with crystals.

OP
OP
Paul Neubauer

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Performed a forced burn and thought the truck was on fire with the cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Cleared all trouble coded and all systems are happy currently. I will hopefully not have the check engine light return for tomorrows drive.

OP
OP
Paul Neubauer

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Check engine light is still coming back on after doing a forced regen and then also replacing the pressure sensor on the back or the engine on the drivers side. I don't want to deal with the dealership but not sure what else could be wrong. Ideas? Can a particulate filter fail at 23,000 miles?
Sponsored