Sponsored

Excessively Loud Popping Noise B&O Unleashed.

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Dealer just called and told me my amplifier needs to be replaced. This is the second time my truck has been in the shop for the loud pop and unresponsive stereo issue. First time it was the auxiliary battery replacement and apim reprogram. Parts should be here later this week.
Did they share any more details about the amp? As in, is this the source of most of these problems and they've seen it before or do they think it's an isolated incident? Sure would be nice to find "the fix" for this!
Sponsored

pjstud1v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat on order
Did they share any more details about the amp? As in, is this the source of most of these problems and they've seen it before or do they think it's an isolated incident? Sure would be nice to find "the fix" for this!
I will ask when I pick it up. The problems stopped after the apim update and auxiliary battery replacement in December. Then my most recent OTA update seemed to cause another glitch while the update was installing.

It wasn’t the full explosion sound. More like weird static and the volume knob was unresponsive. Still scared my 8 year old because she was in the truck when the worst explosion sound happened last year. It never got dangerously loud this time.

I have no idea if this recent issue that requires replacing the amp is related to the original issue

Controlrick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
HVAC tech
I received a call Thursday from the dealer. Ford has contacted them telling me they believe they have a fix for my radio issue. It's a very extensive software update, and they need my truck for the whole day. Could take 8hrs to fix. Sounds a little questionable, but I will give it a shot. Hopefully it doesn't cause other issues.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I received a call Thursday from the dealer. Ford has contacted them telling me they believe they have a fix for my radio issue. It's a very extensive software update, and they need my truck for the whole day. Could take 8hrs to fix. Sounds a little questionable, but I will give it a shot. Hopefully it doesn't cause other issues.
Your dealer was kind of bullshitting you. There might be a fix, but it’s not extensive. It requires them to update the DSP module, which takes only about 10 minutes. The problem is that the update is a little buggy. When you apply it, the software version doesn’t change and it won’t clear the queue in FDRS. So it looks as if it didn’t take. It’s not entirely clear if the fix is in final form.

Here is the text of the SSM your dealer is looking at, which dropped a couple of days ago:

SSM 51663 2021-2023 F-150/Expedition - Pop Noise And/Or Static In Speakers At Start Up
2021-2023 F-150/Expedition may exhibit a pop noise and/or static in the speakers at start up that cannot be turned down or off using the audio system controls. To correct the condition, reprogram the audio digital signal processing module (DSP) to the latest software level using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@SoundsGoodStereo & @Jesse-Infotainment Maybe some promising updates on this issue in the replies above? Hopefully! 🙏
Both very knowledgeable about what they are very knowledgeable about. But why/how would they know if Ford's DSP update does in fact work?

Since nobody has ever reported that the malady can be triggered or replicated at will, I imagine only time will tell?

Having said that, I would love to be wrong and find that the gurus actually know what triggers the issue. But if they do? Now anyone with FDRS could vouch for this update being the solution.

I certainly hope that it does!

23F150platinumpb

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Platinum Powerboost
Adding to the conversation:

I have had this issue come up a couple times before today with my 22’ F150 Platinum Powerboost with B&O Unleashed, but unlike today, they only lasted a few seconds after start up.

1. This morning the following occurred:
  2. Started up the vehicle after sitting over night in my garage
  3. Immediately received the loud static noise
    1. Coming from every speaker inside the truck
  4. Unlike previous times, this time was louder and the noise continued
  5. Turned off the vehicle and noise continues
  6. A couple minutes in I see smoke coming from my tweeter speakers in the pillars
    1. Smoke stopped after a minute or two
  7. Pull the vehicle out of the garage and proceed to disconnect the battery
  8. Noise still continues after disconnecting the battery so reconnect battery
  9. After about ten minutes noise stops but immediately starts again after opening driver door
  10. Close driver door and noise stops after a couple minutes.
  11. Disconnect battery and reconnect after an hour.
  12. Start truck and everything is back to normal

Checked all speakers and they all appear to be working. Keeping ear plugs in my truck now until this is resolved and to protect my hearing if I am driving when it occurs.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think removing the fuse is a quicker way to kill power to the system than disconnecting both batteries in the Powerboost.
As you experienced, disconnecting the AGM battery under the hood doesn't kill power to the system.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Adding to the conversation:

I have had this issue come up a couple times before today with my 22’ F150 Platinum Powerboost with B&O Unleashed, but unlike today, they only lasted a few seconds after start up.

1. This morning the following occurred:
  2. Started up the vehicle after sitting over night in my garage
  3. Immediately received the loud static noise
    1. Coming from every speaker inside the truck
  4. Unlike previous times, this time was louder and the noise continued
  5. Turned off the vehicle and noise continues
  6. A couple minutes in I see smoke coming from my tweeter speakers in the pillars
    1. Smoke stopped after a minute or two
  7. Pull the vehicle out of the garage and proceed to disconnect the battery
  8. Noise still continues after disconnecting the battery so reconnect battery
  9. After about ten minutes noise stops but immediately starts again after opening driver door
  10. Close driver door and noise stops after a couple minutes.
  11. Disconnect battery and reconnect after an hour.
  12. Start truck and everything is back to normal

Checked all speakers and they all appear to be working. Keeping ear plugs in my truck now until this is resolved and to protect my hearing if I am driving when it occurs.
Smoke from tweeters?
That's real concerning. Speakers are low voltage and can be touched simultaneously with zero issues.
You may want to check your wiring by pulling the pillars and seeing if the shielding somehow got melted on the tweeters or any other wires?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Hope to never experience this, but waiting to see if the DSP update is a reliable fix before I buy FDRS again and apply the update.

Sponsored

mb1983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum BAP PB
Happens to me tonight. Loud pop while I was sitting in the driveway followed by crashing sound. Scared the crap out of me. Turned truck off and restarted it and there was no noise. No volume control. 3 hours later all is normal again.

2022 platinum pb with unleashed

Controlrick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
HVAC tech
Happens to me tonight. Loud pop while I was sitting in the driveway followed by crashing sound. Scared the crap out of me. Turned truck off and restarted it and there was no noise. No volume control. 3 hours later all is normal again.

2022 platinum pb with unleashed
There is a software fix, that I received a couple of weeks ago. So far so good. But it only happens to me every couple of months apart. So only time will tell. I have a company van, so my truck doesn't get used as a daily driver.

Spooder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Electron Manufacturing
Tonight it finally happened to me! What sucks is my 1 year old and 2 year old were strapped in their car seats when it happened, my daughters are absolutely terrified of my truck now! Both screamed in shock crying immediately! Im not going to lie after that I’m kinda terrified to drive the damn thing with my precious cargo in the back seat! Thankfully my father was in the driveway still and helped me get them out quickly as possible, he thought something exploded in the damn truck!

EXACT same pulsing sound I got when mine went off. I too recorded a video. From dealer report, threw code U0253. Replaced APIM module after checking all connectors for connection, damage, corrosion, power and ground.

rfrazzetta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Another one here with the loud pop and static. Had a full car of family.. Quite embarrassing on a brand new vehicle and dangerous. The sound is insane and definitely can cause an accident or hearing loss. 2500 miles

Controlrick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
HVAC tech
Update on fix. Software update about a month ago. Hasn't exploded yet but has rebooted itself 3 times now in the first 2 minutes of being turned on. Not quite done with the software rewrites. Hopefully this doesn't continue. Forgot that I wasn't able to turn on the radio when I picked it up from the dealership for about a minute. Only had my 1 year old truck in the dealership 4 times.
Sponsored