Sponsored

Excessively Loud Popping Noise B&O Unleashed.

cen90

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Nautilus 2017 f150 2005 mustang
Occupation
Retited
I have same problem started cold loud pop sounded like gun went off then no sound until restarted truck 2022 platinum with bang olsen unleashed sounded like high voltage spike any fix for this. Its so loud hurts your ears
Sponsored

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Copied a useful suggestion from @Lytning ’s post on a related thread here. @22F150 & @cen90 , maybe submit a quick report here to the NHTSA so hopefully we can get Ford to address this potentially dangerous issue.

“Following is a link to NHTSA Report #11487857 which I filed. It takes only about 5 to 10 minutes to complete a complaint.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?siType=C&nhtsaId=11487857

I encourage EVERYONE who has experienced this issue to file a NHTSA complaint at this link ... https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

For reference, the above text was pulled from this thread:https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/extremely-loud-electrical-pop-followed-by-loud-static.9591/

KapitanTurtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Raptor
I still believe this is being caused by a voltage spike/drop causing some items to shut down and not "Sync" together. Almost like when customers experience turn-on/off pops when the amplifier turns on before the radio. If the ACM experiences a spike and shuts down for protection, the amplifier is looking for communication across the A2B and it's not there. The "Sync" happens at bootup and the only way to "Re-Sync" is to let the truck go to sleep or reset the ACM to start the sequence again.
This was one of my thoughts as well - the sound hit me when I was attempting to sync over my iPhone while it had music playing (thus trying to hand it off to the Sync software) while I was messing around with the door mirrors and opening the sun shade.

After the incident, and now after the update, I tend to let the truck 'boot up' fully before connecting the iPhone to the system via hardwire.There are two messages that it usually throws before I know it's ready to go - one saying that it couldn't sync with my phone, and then another generic system message. (I don't recall what it is, can go look, my recollection is that it's informative in nature, not error related)

First incident was at 450 miles, now at 3700 with no incident.

Knock on wood.

JimsPowerBoost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PowerBoost
Occupation
First Responder
I guess it was my turn...... My new 2022 F-150 Platinum Powerboost did the loud pop noise and then crackling. I just hit 2,100 miles when it happened.
I just started my truck, pulled onto the roadway and was pulling up to a red light intersection with the B&O Unleashed audio system OFF but my iPhone was connected via wireless Apple Carplay. I had just said "Hey Siri" when the audio system produced a deafening noise so loud that I thought I was involved in a major traffic crash. The noise startled me so badly I could have easily lost control of the vehicle, but luckily I was almost at a complete stop. The loud noise was followed by an extremely loud crackling sound from the speakers which I initially thought was glass breaking. I tried turning the audio system on/off but it did not respond. The cracking noise continued and I was able to get off the roadway and turned off my vehicle. I was shaking for several minutes after the initial deafening noise. After I opened the driver's door with the vehicle off, the noise stopped. But as soon as I started my vehicle the cracking noise continued. Later after my truck was powered off for over an hour, when I started my truck, the noise was gone.
I have made repeated requests for a Ford Dealership service appointments at multiple Dealerships, but the earliest appointment is weeks away. My truck seemed to operate normally prior to this incident and after the incident.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I guess it was my turn...... My new 2022 F-150 Platinum Powerboost did the loud pop noise and then crackling. I just hit 2,100 miles when it happened.
I just started my truck, pulled onto the roadway and was pulling up to a red light intersection with the B&O Unleashed audio system OFF but my iPhone was connected via wireless Apple Carplay. I had just said "Hey Siri" when the audio system produced a deafening noise so loud that I thought I was involved in a major traffic crash. The noise startled me so badly I could have easily lost control of the vehicle, but luckily I was almost at a complete stop. The loud noise was followed by an extremely loud crackling sound from the speakers which I initially thought was glass breaking. I tried turning the audio system on/off but it did not respond. The cracking noise continued and I was able to get off the roadway and turned off my vehicle. I was shaking for several minutes after the initial deafening noise. After I opened the driver's door with the vehicle off, the noise stopped. But as soon as I started my vehicle the cracking noise continued. Later after my truck was powered off for over an hour, when I started my truck, the noise was gone.
I have made repeated requests for a Ford Dealership service appointments at multiple Dealerships, but the earliest appointment is weeks away. My truck seemed to operate normally prior to this incident and after the incident.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Controlrick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
HVAC tech
Welcome to the club. Fortunately for me, it only has happened at start up.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
So this just happened... (2022, PB, Platinum, B&O Unleashed, 9,100 miles, 3.5.4 PU and sync 22294)

Had lunch with wife, turned on truck and this noise was coming from my A Pillar tweeters and tweeters in my rear door coax speakers. In the video I say all speakers but its only those 4 speakers. When I realized it was the tweeters I changed the SURROUND to STEREO and the crackling sound instantly went away.

I cant get the video to upload so please download from my Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7snve3ikb6u92ty/20230312_122918.mp4?dl=0

<Turn volume up to hear the sound>
@crazywayne311
@SoundsGoodStereo
@JM Dallas
@Spunch

More info:
- I do not use Apple or Android Carplay... ever
- I use thumb drive or Sirius only for music, Sirius was on, but very quiet.
- There was no "loud pop" first. Just a very loud "electric, crackling sound" out of the A Pillar, Tweeters and rear speakers.
- We were parked and I was starting up the truck. As soon as it happened my wife panicked and jumped out of the truck, scared. I pulled my hands off the steering wheel, thinking I was going to get shocked.
- I could not turn off the sound via, truck turn off or radio turn off.
- I was able to catch it on video.
- When I realized it wasnt all the speakers and only the A Pillar and rear seat, I thought to switch from SURROUND to STEREO. That instantly resolved the issue. (Ironically, I was on the phone with @crazywayne311, when it happened and he heard it turn off also.
- My volume was not as loud as others have posted. I was not able to adjust volume... but still... not as loud as others.
- Mine appears to be the EXACT SAME noise and volume as JM Dallas post.
- I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, it is in review.
- I just bought this truck two weeks ago and this is maybe the fifth time I have driven it...
:(

Hope this helps other and @Ford Motor Company

Last edited:

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
I could swear someone is just offscreen was popping bubble wrap…
On a serious note, hopefully there’s something in this thread of someone who can help us out

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ye

Regular 8-Speaker B&O
- Tweeters Headunit/ACM
- All other speakers = Factory Amplifier

Unleashed
- Tweeters + Rear Door Speakers = Headunit/ACM
- All other speakers = Factory Amplifier

If this noise/pop happens and it is coming from the rear door speakers, then you can assume it's something with the APIM/ACM. If it does not come out of the rear speakers, then the finger is pointed at the amplifier.

I still believe this is being caused by a voltage spike/drop causing some items to shut down and not "Sync" together. Almost like when customers experience turn-on/off pops when the amplifier turns on before the radio. If the ACM experiences a spike and shuts down for protection, the amplifier is looking for communication across the A2B and it's not there. The "Sync" happens at bootup and the only way to "Re-Sync" is to let the truck go to sleep or reset the ACM to start the sequence again.
@LariatSpaceWhite2.7

This just happened to me today. Sound was ONLY the A Pillar Tweets and rear doors. The front doors do not have Tweets so maybe it is what Sounds good said... maybe its the way those are (Im old school) "capped and coiled"? I posted a video at the end of this thread for reference.
According to Kodiakz, I am all up to date on my major updates and that was as of just two days ago....
I dont use Apple or Android Play at all... just thumbdrives and Serious XM. Matter of fact my bluetooth was actually turned off on my phone altogether when this happened....

Sponsored

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
Has anyone talked to an attorney about this issue to see what options we have since Ford doesn’t seem to give a rip? I have a ‘21 PB and I guess I’ve been lucky so far but I feel sorry for the owners that have children that could possibly suffer hearing damage from this issue.

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
@LariatSpaceWhite2.7

This just happened to me today. Sound was ONLY the A Pillar Tweets and rear doors. The front doors do not have Tweets so maybe it is what Sounds good said... maybe its the way those are (Im old school) "capped and coiled"? I posted a video at the end of this thread for reference.
According to Kodiakz, I am all up to date on my major updates and that was as of just two days ago....
I dont use Apple or Android Play at all... just thumbdrives and Serious XM. Matter of fact my bluetooth was actually turned off on my phone altogether when this happened....
@SoundsGoodStereo, some additional info here! Also, the post above this one is another with the 8-speaker B&O having the same issue, so maybe it's not the amp? Arg...so confusing!

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
Has anyone talked to an attorney about this issue to see what options we have since Ford doesn’t seem to give a rip? I have a ‘21 PB and I guess I’ve been lucky so far but I feel sorry for the owners that have children that could possibly suffer hearing damage from this issue.
Some people have posted this link to what looks like a potential class action lawsuit for the issue: https://lemberglaw.com/ford-f-150-audio-sound-system-problem/

Also, if you haven't filed a complaint with the NHTSA, it only takes a few minutes and I definitely would. This is a dangerous issue. EDIT, saw that this hasn't happened to you, but I'll leave it here in case anyone else needs the link to submit a complaint.

Copied from Lytning ’s post on a related thread here. “Following is a link to NHTSA Report #11487857 which I filed. It takes only about 5 to 10 minutes to complete a complaint.

I encourage EVERYONE who has experienced this issue to file a NHTSA complaint at this link ... https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

For reference, the above text was pulled from this thread:https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/extremely-loud-electrical-pop-followed-by-loud-static.9591/

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Some people have posted this link to what looks like a potential class action lawsuit for the issue: https://lemberglaw.com/ford-f-150-audio-sound-system-problem/

Also, if you haven't filed a complaint with the NHTSA, it only takes a few minutes and I definitely would. This is a dangerous issue. EDIT, saw that this hasn't happened to you, but I'll leave it here in case anyone else needs the link to submit a complaint.

Copied from Lytning ’s post on a related thread here. “Following is a link to NHTSA Report #11487857 which I filed. It takes only about 5 to 10 minutes to complete a complaint.

Thanks Lariat look at my post above with the video. You will see I've already filed a complaint with the NHTSA.