• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"EVs require less maintenance" … oh really … : )

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Here's a market study showing some EVs are damn spendy in the first 90 days … not just Porsche and Audi (about $800!) but the Mach-e also has a finger in your pocket. Note that some of the costs are attributed to wheels and tires – EVs are heavier than ICEs which can mean a pothole will do more damage to low profile tires with larger wheels diameters. This also doesn't account for the cost of installing home charging.

Ford F-150 Lightning "EVs require less maintenance" … oh really … : ) 1628094030134
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
They'll still be cheaper in the long run. I don't think the problem is as big as they say. If things are breaking in the few years, the warranty will cover it anyways. You'll save way more than that in fuel and fluids.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
They'll still be cheaper in the long run. I don't think the problem is as big as they say. If things are breaking in the few years, the warranty will cover it anyways. You'll save way more than that in fuel and fluids.
Absolutely. I thought they'd also bash Tesla for initial build quality, defects snd reliability, but once you get a few miles, both the cost of ownership and the net pollution from raw materials to recycling swing (heavily) in favor of a modern EV.
I think Fleet buyers will be buying the Lightning by the millions – their decisions will be almost entirely based on total cost of ownership.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Here's a market study showing some EVs are damn spendy in the first 90 days … not just Porsche and Audi (about $800!) but the Mach-e also has a finger in your pocket. Note that some of the costs are attributed to wheels and tires – EVs are heavier than ICEs which can mean a pothole will do more damage to low profile tires with larger wheels diameters. This also doesn't account for the cost of installing home charging.

1628094030134.png
I'm going to have to call BS on this. In my life, I never had to spend a penny on repairs or maintenance in the first 3 months. A couple of days ago, my dealer called me wanting to schedule a first service appointment for Mustang Mach-E for a bargain price of $89. But when I asked what they were going to do do, they mumbled something about manufacturer's recommended service schedule (a lie), and couldn't come up with anything.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I'm going to have to call BS on this. In my life, I never had to spend a penny on repairs or maintenance in the first 3 months. A couple of days ago, my dealer called me wanting to schedule a first service appointment for Mustang Mach-E for a bargain price of $89. But when I asked what they were going to do do, they mumbled something about manufacturer's recommended service schedule (a lie), and couldn't come up with anything.
Well, I don't think it's BS or that they're lying or misleading in the report, but one factor could certainly be unethical service managers under pressure to generate business.
Speaking of marketing ethics, I think this report is more an advertisement for WePredict than a real eyeopener on EV ownership. I think they're leveraging the Mach-e and Lightning excitement to get eyeballs and maybe drum up some business in the industry for their analysis services. Anyway, I found it amusing and I agree with their central observation: EV costs are front-loaded, once you get passed the initial teething (quality) problems, costs are lower for EVs compared to ICEs.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Well, I don't think it's BS or that they're lying or misleading in the report, but one factor could certainly be unethical service managers under pressure to generate business.
Speaking of marketing ethics, I think this report is more an advertisement for WePredict than a real eyeopener on EV ownership. I think they're leveraging the Mach-e and Lightning excitement to get eyeballs and maybe drum up some business in the industry for their analysis services. Anyway, I found it amusing and I agree with their central observation: EV costs are front-loaded, once you get passed the initial teething (quality) problems, costs are lower for EVs compared to ICEs.
If they weren't lying, they would have indicated what maintenance would be required in the first 3 months. There is nothing recommended by manufacturers, and any defects would be fixed under warranty, so no cost.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
this reminds me when my wife took her car for an oil change and they scared her into believing that she needed a “highly recommended” service for $300… my wife had them call me and it was literally replacing the cabin filter and rear windshield wipers… I almost lost my ?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I have not had to pay a penny for the few warranty repairs needed for my I-Pace. Don't want to give their youtube channel any clicks--where are they getting these numbers?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Installing a home charger is free with State incentives, specifically in California.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I've had my E-golf for 2 years. I've spent $80 in for maintenance for my 10K service ( I have heard people paying up to $200 (getting ripped off) for the same service).

It seems like these are likely just "bad" luck circumstances for the most part that are referenced in this video. Most things that would happen within months are warrantied... other things are likely poor choices or just bad luck.

Plus as the guy continues to talk, he says EVs are 27% cheaper after 2 years. After 3 years its 65%.

So GJ cherry picking questionable stats.

Sponsored

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Sprinter,R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM 790
I've been driving EV's and hybrids for 10 years. First was a 2011 Volt and the DOE had a program for a free Level 2 home charger, so no cost to me.

Here's a list:
2011 Volt - leased - transferred the lease (no service or maint. cost to me during two years)
2013 Volt - leased - bought @lease end and sold for a profit (no maint. cost to me during 3 years)
2016 BMW X5 40e - leased - transferred lease (no maint. cost to me during 8 months)
2016 VW e-Golf - leased - sold at lease end for a profit (no maint cost to me during 30 months)
2019 Tesla Model 3 - purchased - (no maint cost in 15K miles)

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
The Venn Diagram of people who say "EVs bad, ICE good" and "Ecoboost V6 bad, V8 good" without being prompted or asked by anyone has to have some significant overlap.

Also:

Ford F-150 Lightning "EVs require less maintenance" … oh really … : ) Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 5.13.39 PM

I wish I could have used "I predict" as a valid source for every research paper I've ever done. That would have made things so much easier.

OP
OP
F-150 Prius

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
If they weren't lying, they would have indicated what maintenance would be required in the first 3 months. There is nothing recommended by manufacturers, and any defects would be fixed under warranty, so no cost.
I think the point of the review (16 million records?) was to compare EV to ICE costs. These are not necessarily out-of-pocket for the consumer, since the title is repairs and maintenance.

I assume the researchers were able to discriminate between voluntary expenses (upgrades, modifications) and incidental, unplanned, and involuntary costs (damaging a wheel/tire seems to be the only thing I offer that could be attributed to the power/weight of an EV and could be an out-of-pocket cost for the owner.)
With Tesla for example, I had leaves stuck in the air vent intake … surely that's a design fault … but Tesla decided I should have cleaned them out more thoroughly before it became noticeable … and now there's an aftermarket product to solve the problem:
https://www.google.com/search?q=model+3+leaf+guard
Sponsored