• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EV truck reservation poll - Lightning vs Cybertruck vs R1T

Which EV truck do you have reserved?

• Total voters

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I wouldn't want that.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Maybe add Silverado to the poll. Not yet taking orders, but Chevy giving a first look on January 5th. Might still be years from production. The CT is on the poll because Tesla took reservations, but is the CT any closer to production than the Silverado?.....just saying. ?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
if ford has balls, they'll make the next raptor available ONLY in electric. 4 motors. 500 mile range. who wouldn't want that?
People may want it, but very few will pay the absurd price that it would cost.
Consider the platinum is $90k US.
For the ICE trucks, the raptor is pretty much as expensive as the limited truck.
Now for the electric like you say, that would be added weight from more motors which would decrease range, than add a bigger battery to make up for that lost range (if such a battery would even fit in the truck) and you would likely be looking at a 8000lb+ truck that likely costs somewhere around $120k.
Raptors also have large bulky wheels/tires which would be a huge hit to range as well.
A 8000lb+ truck would not be very good offroad no matter what you put on it - it is just too heavy.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
For the ICE trucks, the raptor is pretty much as expensive as the limited truck.
Now for the electric like you say, that would be added weight from more motors which would decrease range, than add a bigger battery to make up for that lost range (if such a battery would even fit in the truck) and you would likely be looking at a 8000lb+ truck that likely costs somewhere around $120k.
Raptors also have large bulky wheels/tires which would be a huge hit to range as well.
A 8000lb+ truck would not be very good offroad no matter what you put on it - it is just too heavy.
You basically just described the Hummer which is also ~$112k or something, 9000lb, etc.

Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Somebody should have told GM that 10 years ago LOL

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
The hummer isn't selling remotely anywhere close to what the f150 is. It is in Ford's best interest to get the easy sales of few options before creating new trims/options. The less options there is the easier and faster they can get them out.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Yeah despite having a Lightning reservation and loving EVs, at the moment an EV Raptor is a terrible idea. The Raptor is a desert runner at heart, meaning jumps and remaining nimble, at least as much as a half ton truck can be. An EV Raptor would be so heavy the jumps that the current Raptor could do would either demolish whatever they had for shocks and/or tires, or would need to be so overbuilt to prevent it that the weight of those parts would destroy performance.

Weight in the end would kill the EV Raptor in the same way the much heavier RAM TRX is a front heavy, plowing, and unsteady beast compared to the Raptor when making quick direction changes off-road. There is a reason most of their boasting for that truck is just in straight line 0-60 times. An EV Raptor would be even worse, even with low center of gravity.

It may get there eventually, as batteries and motors improve and weight drops, aside from solid state batteries I see weight improvements as the key to the future of EVs since it would be a quick way to improved range. But no, an EV Raptor would be awful. I expect even the Raptor R if they try to chase the RAM TRX will have the same front heavy issues. Ford was right to go for a lighter weight engine with the TT V6.

Now, an SVT Lightning EV for on-road performance would be fun.

Last edited:

MoparGuy

First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX5 GT
I can only afford F150, I can afford XLT, would like to get PRO and add what I need if that's possible, I have a Bronco scheduled soon, most likely will be trading the Bronco for the F150.
Those $70K+ Rivians, are you kidding me?!! $1500 to get my color or choice?! screw that Tesla way of milking people, the max I would be paying for color is the $595 for my Cyber Orange, still feel dumb doing that.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Those $70K+ Rivians, are you kidding me?!! $1500 to get my color or choice?! screw that Tesla way of milking people, the max I would be paying for color is the $595 for my Cyber Orange, still feel dumb doing that.
Manufacturers have been doing that way before Tesla.

Porsche special colors are $3,500 up to $11,000 or something like that.

Sponsored

futuretrunks

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda accord ā€˜18 ford bronco ā€˜21
Occupation
manager
Reaaaaaally have a strong disdain for Tesla. But Iā€™m a big fan of CT. I think it looks a lot better when you look at it as a tank/suv vs a truck.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Mustang Mach-E
Lightning on order.
The R1T is interesting, but for what I would order, the Lightning meets my needs for about $10k less.
I wouldn't buy the CT even if I could drive it off the lot tonight.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I can only afford F150, I can afford XLT, would like to get PRO and add what I need if that's possible, I have a Bronco scheduled soon, most likely will be trading the Bronco for the F150.
You do realize that the paint actually does cost more money for the different colors, especially metallic color and the tinted clear coat. And red costs more than just about every other color. In addition, when they change colors they have to clean all of the equipment in the paint booth. This costs a lot more per vehicle when you are painting 100 vehicles vs 10,000+. Why shouldn't the manufacturer pass that cost along?

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Rivian R1T reserved with estimated delivery of max pack version second half of 2023. prefer the lightning I have reserved but I doubt I will get chance to order it in next three years even My dealer was allocated 2 for 2022 and I am number 36 on their list

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I get the feeling my lightning reservation will come up YEARS before my cybertruck reso. Timing will decide for me.
Ditto for me. Hopefully Iā€™ll be taking delivery on my Lightning before summerā€¦ Cybertruck could be years.

I love the concept of the Cybertruck. The biggest features for me are using the air suspension and the ramp so I can roll things like snowblowers into the bed. I Havenā€™t seen that feature in any recent spy shots, so I get the feeling it wonā€™t ship with that.

Iā€™d also love to have a retractable bed cover with solar panels. I donā€™t think that will ever happen either.
Sponsored