• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EV routing for Lightning coming?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So are they saying the Ford mapping isn't good enough or up to date enough?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
Just something new for Apple Maps but mainly only a curiosity as far as I am concerned. Has all the limitations inherent in Apple Maps but gives you charging stops and gets battery info from the car. In my testing it does not let you do useful route planning out of the car, it just tells me a route with no customization. You also cannot set the starting charge level in order to do planning anyway, it just uses the last data it got from the car. Its a start and hopefully it will improve. And even more hopefully google will add something similar to their better product. ;)

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I hope it'll be able to do neat things like preheat the battery before reaching a DCFC station.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
While it can be helpful in certain cases, I've never been interested in having the car tell me when to stop. If I'm planning a long trip, I use ABRP and know where my stops can be and for how long I should charge. The onboard navigation is helpful only in that I can track how much charge it estimates I'll have at my destination. In some cases I've pushed charging to a further stop or found one sooner if efficiency is worse than anticipated.

I'll be more interested to see how Android Auto will integrate with the onboard navigation and whether you'll be able to show Spotify and navigation at the same time. It didn't look like you could do this with the MME though. You seem to have to choose between everything that AA offers and navigation with battery prediction.

Sponsored

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Ford maps cant even find my house, no less the strees i live on in a subdivision thats 7 years old in Tampa FL!

I have a 21 Powerboost Lariat and a 22 Bronco Wildtrack both have built in Nav and neither can find my 5 year old house, i wont trust either one to find a charger for my truck if my life depends on it, i promise you that.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ford maps cant even find my house, no less the strees i live on in a subdivision thats 7 years old in Tampa FL!

I have a 21 Powerboost Lariat and a 22 Bronco Wildtrack both have built in Nav and neither can find my 5 year old house, i wont trust either one to find a charger for my truck if my life depends on it, i promise you that.
Built in navigation systems have very significant lag in their databases for information. Typically a data set has go through a production approval process that takes several months and is usually done with data that can be over a year old. My home that is only five years old does not show up on any Nav system that is an on board data system the last few vehicle years. Charging station data will most definitely have to be pulled from a system that is maintained in the cloud and pulled via cellular connection to have as real time data as possible.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Built in navigation systems have very significant lag in their databases for information. Typically a data set has go through a production approval process that takes several months and is usually done with data that can be over a year old. My home that is only five years old does not show up on any Nav system that is an on board data system the last few vehicle years. Charging station data will most definitely have to be pulled from a system that is maintained in the cloud and pulled via cellular connection to have as real time data as possible.
Lightning navigation is a "connected" system, so it should be more up to date than the static system in the old cars. OTOH, it's only included for 3 years. After that you'd have to pay.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
So are they saying the Ford mapping isn't good enough or up to date enough?
Apple is looking to extend the CarPlay Functionality with Siri.

This is a feature that I am really looking forward to, and I am glad that Ford is doing this. Better integration between the vehicle and my phone is exactly what I am looking for.

I switched away from Google Maps to Apple Maps entirely because of CarPlay. (Yes, you can use Google Maps with CarPlay now).

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So you are referring to the legacy players, like Ford. This kind of stuff is what scares the crap out of me after driving a Tesla for a few years. I want to get back to a truck so back I'm moving to a Lightning - at least for a while, but there is no excuse for Ford to be behind on maps or SW updates. Although they've been trying to get OTA updates to work for many years now and still struggle and they are the ones that still want to charge $150 a year to get your nav map updated.

These small items alone can cause Ford to fail. Farley has no time left, change has to be now.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
there is no excuse for Ford to be behind on maps or SW updates.
Sure there is...two of the wealthiest and most prolific companies in the history of the world currently develop mapping products in their core offerings. Why should anyone else do anything other than figure out a way to leverage their data for their own purposes if the companies are willing to offer integrated products and do the heavy lifting?

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales

Lag is one thing, 7 years for the road, 5 years for an actual physical home is a bit absurd! I use carplay even last time I went to a hotel in disney it got lost there too. Again I work for Ford and will not trust it to find it

Reactions: GDN

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I hope it'll be able to do neat things like preheat the battery before reaching a DCFC station.
If you go full nerd, you should be able to do this with something like Home Assistant and the Ford Pass integration. Assuming that the battery heating feature is exposed through the API.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Sure there is...two of the wealthiest and most prolific companies in the history of the world currently develop mapping products in their core offerings. Why should anyone else do anything other than figure out a way to leverage their data for their own purposes if the companies are willing to offer integrated products and do the heavy lifting?
Because you partner with them or another similar company and you own it so you know you are delivering the best experience to your customers. You own the mapping and routing, plus Ford has to overlay charging infrastructure on top of that as well. You don't depend on 3rd parties who have different goals in life to ensure your customers are well taken care of.

Navigation is easy these days. Sending an updated map to a vehicle is easy these days. However you've got to own it and do it right.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
It would be nice to set time of departure like BMW i3 does. That way your car is warm or cool when you step into it. Not sure why Bolt can't.

Tesla is said to be updating their GOM to add in temperatures and air density. This really won't be a terrible issue once a few more DC chargers are on the way I need to go.
Sponsored