Sponsored

Ethanol Free getting 30mpg

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Since the EPA just raised the mandatory amount of the Ethanol blend from 10 to 15%, I'm more concerned about the overall life of the new PowerBoost engine more than I am about the difference in MPG. A concern?
Aren't these F150s flex fuel vehicles and are made to take e85?
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Since the EPA just raised the mandatory amount of the Ethanol blend from 10 to 15%, I'm more concerned about the overall life of the new PowerBoost engine more than I am about the difference in MPG. A concern?
I don’t think this is the case? Believe they only removed the restriction on E15 during the summer to allow it to still be sold, not requiring it. Either way, as our owners manual says, we can use up to E15, no more.

Aren't these F150s flex fuel vehicles and are made to take e85?
Only the 5.0 is flex fuel

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
I don’t think this is the case? Believe they only removed the restriction on E15 during the summer to allow it to still be sold, not requiring it. Either way, as our owners manual says, we can use up to E15, no more.

Only the 5.0 is flex fuel
I must have missed the part about summer blend only. Or is it?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/epa-raises-amount-ethanol-blended-gas-85186380

https://theconservativetreehouse.co...table-problems-will-surface-soon/#more-233882

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
After reading those and looking at some others - my understanding is that Biden’s order increases the amount of ethanol required to be used this year, which will be accomplished by his directing the EPA to lift the ban on E15 in summer (in place due to disputed smog related concerns with high temps and ethanol burning). So - more ethanol will be worked in that way, but as I understand it the majority of the pumps will remain at E10 as normal.

I certainly hope that’s the case. A few stations near me sell E15. But the efficiency loss tends to cost more than the savings at the pump…

ghanvass

First Name
Shai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
We are on a road trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone, and I found a gas station that was ethanol free.
I’m half way through that tank and my gas mileage has been amazing. Granted most of my drives have been driving through the park at 45 mph, but that includes going up and down the mountains, and we m still getting 30mpg.

Has anyone else seen a big jump in non-ethanol gas?

E2F54022-20E6-4AC5-9042-828BCA09ED2F.jpeg
Yes - I drove 10 miles the other day on ethanol-free gas. I was hauling a load of rock in buckets so being cautious during acceleration and while turning. There was a 4 mile section of road with a 45 mph speed limit and a 6 mile stretch that was 60 mph. Drove pretty much at the speed limit and got 26.5 mpg. That's better than any of my previous drives on regular gas. Truck was in 2WD and "Normal" drive mode.

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I got 31.8 MPG going less than 60 MPH on a flat 40 mile highway and forcing the engine to go electric as much as I could,
Intuitively, forcing the engine to go electric as much as possible seems like it's only delaying your MPG "cost" (assuming the regenerative braking won't be a significant source of recharging). You might have an artificially high MPG by relying upon the electric motor during this run, but you're likely to have an artificially lower MPG run sooner or later, since you'll eventually have to put some power from the engine into recharging that battery (there's no other way to externally add energy into the system). It'll average out over the long term, and is probably not worth trying to force electric driving more than the system already automatically does on its own.

darioa

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
Intuitively, forcing the engine to go electric as much as possible seems like it's only delaying your MPG "cost" (assuming the regenerative braking won't be a significant source of recharging). You might have an artificially high MPG by relying upon the electric motor during this run, but you're likely to have an artificially lower MPG run sooner or later, since you'll eventually have to put some power from the engine into recharging that battery (there's no other way to externally add energy into the system). It'll average out over the long term, and is probably not worth trying to force electric driving more than the system already automatically does on its own.
I partially agree. I monitor the level of charge the hybrid battery has (using FIXD ODB2 connector) and I find that the truck will go into electric mode when the battery is between 42% and 70% charge. Outside of that range I can't get it to go electric even if I'm going at 30 MPH. So, when the charge falls below 42%, I accelerate to 5 or 10 MPH above the speed limit and then use the regenerative brake or coasting to recharge. Unless I have to accelerate more, it goes into electric mode until the battery charge is depleted. Then the cycle repeats. I'm still learning how to drive the truck, but I've been getting better MPG at the gas pump the more I drive (it's also getting more broken in, I have 12,000 miles, and it is getting warmer, so, who knows...).

talespin

First Name
dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 powerboost hybrid
Occupation
airline pilot ( retired )
I just completed a 750 mile trip in my F 150 hybrid from Rochester Mn to Lexington Tn starting out getting 26.7 mph w a 0 to 5 knot tailwind @ 60 to mostly 65 mph and that decreased to about 26 encountering rain near the end of the trip. Last year I did this trip in my 5.3 GMC and used ethanol free gas on the return and got a significant increase in mpg. So, this year I’ll do the same with my ‘21 F 150 hybrid and see how that goes taking into account winds and wx and leave a note next week…….talespin

Sponsored

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
Well, I got 27.3MPG(gradually downhill) going to work this morning and 22.7MPG(gradually uphill) coming home. I'm more than happy to average 25MPG w/whatever Costco has at the pump for regular gas.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
OK, I bit on this today.

Filled up with ethanol free regular (87) at 40 cents more per gallon than the regular regular (E10, I assume).

It will be interesting to see the results!

-Eric

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, I bit on this today.

Filled up with ethanol free regular (87) at 40 cents more per gallon than the regular regular (E10, I assume).

It will be interesting to see the results!

-Eric
I heard that. 47 cents more here. Drove in the station with 1/4 tank remaining and still drove out $125 poorer.

OP
OP
JJ_Tex

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
As a quick update, I'm back home and through 2 tanks of gas with ethanol. The mpg for those 2 tanks was 21.0. Sure I can get higher mpg for short trips, especially when in eco mode, but it certainly is not getting anywhere close to what I was getting with ethanol-free.

I'm sure there is science behind it, but it does not feel more environmentally friendly to get a 30% hit on my mpg for ethanol fuel.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As a quick update, I'm back home and through 2 tanks of gas with ethanol. The mpg for those 2 tanks was 21.0. Sure I can get higher mpg for short trips, especially when in eco mode, but it certainly is not getting anywhere close to what I was getting with ethanol-free.

I'm sure there is science behind it, but it does not feel more environmentally friendly to get a 30% hit on my mpg for ethanol fuel.
Good to know. Thanks!
Sponsored