Sponsored

Ethanol Free getting 30mpg

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
We are on a road trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone, and I found a gas station that was ethanol free.
I’m half way through that tank and my gas mileage has been amazing. Granted most of my drives have been driving through the park at 45 mph, but that includes going up and down the mountains, and we m still getting 30mpg.

Has anyone else seen a big jump in non-ethanol gas?

Ford F-150 Ethanol Free getting 30mpg E2F54022-20E6-4AC5-9042-828BCA09ED2F
Sponsored

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
You'll get that sort of MPG when you're driving around 45-55 no matter what fuel blend or octane rating you'll use.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I’m pretty sure that because 10-15% ethanol gas blend explodes slower than pure gasoline and requires a higher concentration of fuel to air to be stoichiometric, any time you do not use pure gasoline, you WILL see lower MPG.

Living most my life near gasoline refineries and having ample access to pure gas, I can promise everyone here that they will get better MPG with pure gas over ethanol blends.

Pure Gas = Lower fuel to air ratio
Pure Gas = Higher energy potential per unit of fuel vs eth blend.
Pure Gas = Better MPG

Driving at a lower speed does increase the MPGs, but so does the Pure Gas.

Im sure someone will argue, if so, let’s get together and make a video testing your theory.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Ethanol has less energy per unit, so thus you need to use more of it to produce the same power. Ethanol free will always do better on mpg as you’ll need to use less fuel to do the same amount of work. Similarly, e85 always gets significantly less mpg in vehicle that can use it for the same reason.

Fun fact: e85 vehicles often need more than just tuning - they need injectors and a fuel pump that are capable of delivering significantly more fuel

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Has more to do with speed than it does with ethanol free gas
This is so wrong.

The ignition point of corn is lower than the ignition point of gas.

Nuff said!

huhner5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Farmer
At 40mph 30mpg is achievable regardless of fuel....

Nuff said!

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
At 40mph 30mpg is easy regardless of fuel....

Nuff said!
I average ~40 MPH on my way to/from work and typically see 24-27 now that the temps have warmed up. While driving speed and habits do play a big role in fuel economy, going to E0 will have ~10% improvement in fuel economy regardless of other factors when compared to E10.

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
E0 will have ~10% improvement in fuel economy regardless of other factors when compared to E10.
Its less than that, at around 3-4%.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

4% of 23 MPG (2022 F150 Powerboost) is a 0.92 MPG difference.

If a gallon of E10 is $4.50, you need to spend $4.68 or less a gallon for E0 to break even or come out ahead.

OP
OP
JJ_Tex

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Dang, this is quite a hot topic. Today I didn’t drive too much but still had impressive gas mileage.
Tomorrow I have a 3 hour drive at highway speeds. I’ll report my mileage and see how that compares to the 22-23 mpg I got on the way up here with Ethanol gas.

Sponsored

A Dog

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I also got 30 miles to a gallon on my PowerBoost just around town going slow. Regular gasoline 87 octane

Ford F-150 Ethanol Free getting 30mpg 77AD5E18-302F-4CEC-B7AB-0621C36B2E4C

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ethanol blended gasoline suffers in fuel economy by more than the blend percentage.

It’s what I would call a reverse synergistic relationship. So instead of a synergistic reaction, where the output of A+B equals more than the sum of the individual parts; it will equal less.

It’s really bizarre how it works out too, it almost seems totally random between the percentage of ethanol content. Though that’s the case with many fuel additives, where the relationship is often not linear and sometimes it will reverse entirely once you pass the sweet spot.

Many manufacturers have tried to optimize their engines for ethanol blends but often gasoline engines run best on gasoline ;)

One of the other huge downfalls of ethanol blends is they reduce the shelf life of the fuel and once the fuel starts to deteriorate, it will destroy the fuel system with a waxy buildup, as well as completely destroy o-rings and hoses in older vehicles which had sent more cheap cars to the scrapyards than anything else when they first introduced the ethanol blended gasoline.

huhner5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Farmer
Ethanol blended gasoline suffers in fuel economy by more than the blend percentage.

It’s what I would call a reverse synergistic relationship. So instead of a synergistic reaction, where the output of A+B equals more than the sum of the individual parts; it will equal less.

It’s really bizarre how it works out too, it almost seems totally random between the percentage of ethanol content. Though that’s the case with many fuel additives, where the relationship is often not linear and sometimes it will reverse entirely once you pass the sweet spot.

Many manufacturers have tried to optimize their engines for ethanol blends but often gasoline engines run best on gasoline ;)

One of the other huge downfalls of ethanol blends is they reduce the shelf life of the fuel and once the fuel starts to deteriorate, it will destroy the fuel system with a waxy buildup, as well as completely destroy o-rings and hoses in older vehicles which had sent more cheap cars to the scrapyards than anything else when they first introduced the ethanol blended gasoline.
If I understand you correctly..

Your saying if I would put E85 in my truck I would loose 85% of my fuel economy?

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I also got 30 miles to a gallon on my PowerBoost just around town going slow. Regular gasoline 87 octane

77AD5E18-302F-4CEC-B7AB-0621C36B2E4C.png
short duration trip. Looking at your DTE I would estimate your avg mpg to be around 16-18 (at least for the most recent tank).

JahWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost Smoked Quartz
short duration trip. Looking at your DTE I would estimate your avg mpg to be around 16-18 (at least for the most recent tank).
I was going to say the same. When I fill up she says 600
Sponsored