ESP - Ethos?

mj_in_ak

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150, 2012 Honda Insight
I am picking up my new truck next week from Granger. Very excited and they have been great to work with.
As my truck is a powerboost, I am thinking that I should get an extended warranty because of all of the expensive higher end equipment that could fail and be expensive to repair. I asked Granger if they would be able to sell a Ford ESP at the same cost of some of the other on-line vendors. They told me that they are selling their own package by Ethos Group. According to Granger, this is supposed to be a better package than the Ford ESP.
I was wondering if anyone else has purchased this ESP from Granger and what your thoughts on the plan were. According to Granger, one of the benefits of this plan is how comprehensive it is and that it doesn't require a Ford repair shop to do the work.
Comments, insight or thoughts?
Sponsored

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
So, I am a “retired” Ford technician.
From a techs standpoint, nothing is smoother than a ford esp. 3rd party esp’s tend to slow things down the repair process and never seem to be on the dealerships, or the customers side and always seems to be a battle to get coverage.
3rd party might be cheaper for the “same” coverage, but in my opinion it’s not worth the headache.
Sales departments at dealerships are just that, sales. They usually don’t understand the warranty process that the service department deals with.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
A lot of the dealers still push these 3rd party warranties, they must make more money off them. I’d never touch one with a 10’ pole. ESP or bust for me personally. Nothing worse than dealing with a 3rd party.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Just do some searching on Ethos Group and reviews about them, check out their BBB page. Not someone I’d want to do business with. They specialize in all the shady stuff dealers try and sell you on during the financing, GAP insurance and extended warranties seem to be their specialties, and seem to be experts at making them hard to make claims on and/or hiding stuff in fine print. Just reading some of the headaches you see there about being bounced between the dealer and Ethos should be all anyone needs to know to stay away.

I’m honestly surprised Granger deals with these guys, they seem to standup from everything I’ve read here, it’s a shame so many dealerships still push these impossible to use warranties from shady companies (Including my own, they tried to sell me on one snd I said no thanks, I’ll likely go ESP).

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
I wanted to put in my 2 cents as to why we went through EG Assurance as our service contract provider versus Ford.

1st - The EG Assurance contract is a named exclusionary contract. What this means to you is that it lists only a small group of items that are NOT covered (think brake pads, maintenance, light bulbs, etc.). Anything that is not specifically named as a non-covered item is included in the coverage. This is the most comprehensive coverage form available.

2nd - This contract is more fair to a technician working on the car. I can understand @Doyouevenboost with his sentiment with some 3rd party warranty companies. In fact, I've sat in the service advisor seat and remember myself calling a company and sitting on hold for 30 minutes. That is NOT what I want! EG Assurance is timely and from a technician's stand point does not compensate them "warranty labor" times, but is more generous with how the pay based upon Alldata or other labor time guides. This will allow the technician to spend the time he/she needs to repair things right.

3rd- The EG Assurance contract gives me some leeway as the owner. I have the flexibility to use "goodwill" funds on occasion because of our working relationship to cover an item for a good customer. I do not have this flexibility with a manufacturer's warranty.

There are no doubt some reviews where a Finance manager sold a powertrain only coverage and overpromised what was covered only to leave a customer disappointed. I can say, we do our best to make sure that everyone leaves with a good experience. We're a locally owned store that has been owned by my father previously since 1978 and myself now. We are in a town of 2,000 people and rely on our reputation to build repeat and referral business. We're not going to sacrifice that by using a "fly by night" 3rd party warranty company but we have done our due diligence and encourage anyone of our customers if an issue arrises to call us and we'll make sure it gets handled fairly.

Zach

OP
OP

mj_in_ak

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150, 2012 Honda Insight
I wanted to put in my 2 cents as to why we went through EG Assurance as our service contract provider versus Ford.

1st - The EG Assurance contract is a named exclusionary contract. What this means to you is that it lists only a small group of items that are NOT covered (think brake pads, maintenance, light bulbs, etc.). Anything that is not specifically named as a non-covered item is included in the coverage. This is the most comprehensive coverage form available.

2nd - This contract is more fair to a technician working on the car. I can understand @Doyouevenboost with his sentiment with some 3rd party warranty companies. In fact, I've sat in the service advisor seat and remember myself calling a company and sitting on hold for 30 minutes. That is NOT what I want! EG Assurance is timely and from a technician's stand point does not compensate them "warranty labor" times, but is more generous with how the pay based upon Alldata or other labor time guides. This will allow the technician to spend the time he/she needs to repair things right.

3rd- The EG Assurance contract gives me some leeway as the owner. I have the flexibility to use "goodwill" funds on occasion because of our working relationship to cover an item for a good customer. I do not have this flexibility with a manufacturer's warranty.

There are no doubt some reviews where a Finance manager sold a powertrain only coverage and overpromised what was covered only to leave a customer disappointed. I can say, we do our best to make sure that everyone leaves with a good experience. We're a locally owned store that has been owned by my father previously since 1978 and myself now. We are in a town of 2,000 people and rely on our reputation to build repeat and referral business. We're not going to sacrifice that by using a "fly by night" 3rd party warranty company but we have done our due diligence and encourage anyone of our customers if an issue arrises to call us and we'll make sure it gets handled fairly.

Zach
Thanks for the info. This will help me with my decision.
Mark
Sponsored