Error Code: P0430 - Catalytic Converter

Bunker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Powerboost Lariat
I hate to waste $ but would it be worth blowing a few bottles of Seafoam through the engine?

Im sorry for your issues. My truck isn’t perfect either. My daily is a Macan and it came from the factory with an oil leak. Bad enough that even the dealer said it needed fixed. It’s just the world we live in I guess.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Powerboost
OP sorry to hear you're still struggling with your truck. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Luckily after driving around town a bit, i didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG, in fact my MPG improved and a couple days later before the dealer could even look at the truck, the alert went away on its own. Just before it turned on initially, I gassed up with ethanol free 90 octane gas for the first time so maybe that had something to do with it? Who knows.

best of luck, OP i really hope you get everything sorted soon

Last edited:

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I have some experience with new cats. First when assembled they are loose inside the can. When they get good and hot the adhesive expands and makes the ceramic laminar tight in the can. If a person lets there car idle allot before the cat is (broke in ) for lack of a better term, or never really gets the cats upto temp during the first few hundred miles It can heat cycle several times and the ceramic and adhesive doesn’t do it’s job properly causing a rattle in the cat. This is typical of all cats.
causing a generic obd efficiency code.

Usually when new cats break in they have a strong odor when u park a couple times. that’s the swelling and ceramic laminar tightening.

Ther are a couple ways to mitigate it. Change the cat or drive the vehicle with higher RPM than normally would be experienced. This burns the excess fuel deposits and might cause the laminar to seal.
if your not experiencing anyreal drivability issues it’s likely it will work. Sometimes quality is involved and nothing you do can help the cat come back. Like burning a quart of oil every 500 miles at low RPM. Either way if your not experiencing any sluggish acceleration or hi temp issues it’s not likely plugged. it’s just passing hi emissions. Hope this helps a little. It is pretty common on aftermarket cats. Usually mechanics make sure it’s been heat cycled before it’s released to the owner.

new cars are different. My new f150 v8 stunk for a week from the cats curing. There are allot of posts about people wanting to know why the car smelled hot. That’s the cats curing.
I think you would be giving up a good truck that maybe you babied a little and the cat didn’t seal, or it is a defective cat.
Push R’s a little and see what happens before you give it away. any fuel will work if ucan find E15 try that, less carbon and higher octane can heat quicker.
This is my personal experience, it’s not 100% but is a step in determining what’s up.
as other posters have said it takes 5 start cycles or several hundred miles driven before the obd will reset after the fault goes away. Drive it and see.
Hope it helps. Ultimately your truck.

Last edited:

Erickson85

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 (3.5EB, 302A CC short box)
Occupation
IUOE 649
Mine started throwing a service vehicle soon code around the end of Nov. Ford pass said it was a power train issue. Power reduced. Code would come and go. Might Be on for a day or two. May only come on for one start up. Then it would go away and be a week before coming back on. Tried getting into a dealer by work to get it check out. But they where all booked up. The only thing I noticed on it was that my mpg dipped from 20mpg to around 17. Finally was able to get it in around Xmas and the dealer informed me of a rattle and a CAT code in the history. CAT was ordered and installed on Jan 12th.
milage came back everything was going great. Service Vehicle soon powertrain issue check engine line came back on last night 1/20 on my way to a meeting. Was off on the drive home and to work this morning. Then came back at the end of shift while I ran my first errand after work. went away when I got done at Costco and the rest my time running errands.

received truck Feb 22. 25k mi

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Mine started throwing a service vehicle soon code around the end of Nov. Ford pass said it was a power train issue. Power reduced. Code would come and go. Might Be on for a day or two. May only come on for one start up. Then it would go away and be a week before coming back on. Tried getting into a dealer by work to get it check out. But they where all booked up. The only thing I noticed on it was that my mpg dipped from 20mpg to around 17. Finally was able to get it in around Xmas and the dealer informed me of a rattle and a CAT code in the history. CAT was ordered and installed on Jan 12th.
milage came back everything was going great. Service Vehicle soon powertrain issue check engine line came back on last night 1/20 on my way to a meeting. Was off on the drive home and to work this morning. Then came back at the end of shift while I ran my first errand after work. went away when I got done at Costco and the rest my time running errands.

received truck Feb 22. 25k mi
Hey there! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

Sponsored

LuckyTrucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat Powerboost
I just bought a pre-owned '22 Powerboost with 22k miles one week ago and it just came up with the check engine light and Ford Pass app says it's a 'catalytic converter concern'. I was scrolling through the dash menu and noticed MPGs have dropped to 16mpg from 21-22 already.

Not too happy right now. Starting to think they cleared the codes before they sold it or traded it because of an ongoing issue.

Haven't gotten to the dealer yet, obviously, since it just showed up this morning but I guess I will have to. Very disappointing after one week. :mad:

@MonsterTrucker75 Do you have new updates on this issue??

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I just bought a pre-owned '22 Powerboost with 22k miles one week ago and it just came up with the check engine light and Ford Pass app says it's a 'catalytic converter concern'. I was scrolling through the dash menu and noticed MPGs have dropped to 16mpg from 21-22 already.

Not too happy right now. Starting to think they cleared the codes before they sold it or traded it because of an ongoing issue.

Haven't gotten to the dealer yet, obviously, since it just showed up this morning but I guess I will have to. Very disappointing after one week. :mad:

@MonsterTrucker75 Do you have new updates on this issue??
Put some sea foam or a quality (AMOCO)injector cleaner in it. Lock out gears 8 9 10 and run the engine for 40 miles at 3 k RPM. Get those cats hot and see if that helps. My 22 didn’t seem broke in until 9-10 k miles on the clock. So give it some use. It’s a Truck designed to pull a house not passengers.
With that said I don’t know how you use ur truck and yes it should operate in any type service.
As a commuter it’s lugging (low rpm no load) all the time. Sometimes they need to actually work to keep the combustion clean.
You can’t hurt it. It’s under warranty. Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.

LuckyTrucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat Powerboost
Well, I commented some more details on another thread but it looks like it got deleted.
Wanted to give an update.

I had brought my truck to the dealer the week after my last post, early February. They said there were no trouble codes currently and no history of anything so they couldn't do anything and I'd have to drive it till it comes back. 🙄 I picked it up and check engine came back the next day. Brought it back a week later and they just checked it right there in the drive in bay and said yea both cats need to be replaced. Waited only about 5 weeks, surprisingly, and the cats came in. Brought it in to change them and next day they call me and said they took it apart and realized they had the wrong cats.

What happened was the first time I brought it, for some odd reason, when he scanned the VIN it came up one number off so that's why they couldn't see the trouble codes at first and also how they ended up with the wrong cats. 🙄🙄 They had to put it back together and put in a new order for the correct cats. So here I am 4 months later still waiting. They texted me a couple weeks ago and said they should come off of backorder June 6 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Haven't had any other issues besides 2 a/c vents breaking. The truck is running great and I still love it! I'll be glad when the cats are replaced though!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Powerboost
I've had my 22 PB since November of last year. Bought it with 4k miles and it have put another 3 on it myself. I have had this error pop up 3 times now and always after ive sat in the truck idling for a while, then it goes away after driving normally 3 or 4 times. Not sure if its worth the hassle of going to the dealer it seem to just not like to sit idle for 20 or 30min.

H2OSki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
@MonsterTrucker75
Have you been able to get your issue resolved yet? If you did what did they do to fix it? Sounds like my truck is experiencing the same problem.

I bought my 2022 Powerboost on 2/1/23. I received my first engine light on 2/7/23 when I had about 900 miles on it. The engine code cleared and then came back about a month later. At this point the fault was frequent enough that it would never clear and the light was on pretty much constantly. I was able to get my truck in to the dealer finally in April. The dealer identified the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. Of course as noted it was on backorder. They cleared the codes and told me they would let me know when the catalytic converter comes in. The fault was back on within a few hours of leaving the dealership and was pretty much on the entire time now.
They finally replaced my catalytic converter on 6/7/23. I drove about 250 miles and then the engine light was back on. When I contacted the dealer this week they checked their system and could see the same catalytic converter code. So now they have ordered a new catalytic converter for the other side. Waiting to get the new one installed and hopefully this will finally stop all the engine code faults.

Sponsored

cozoomzoom

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I have a 22 PB that throws that code every once in a while and clears after a while. It seems for me it throws when I'm on the gas more than normal.

cozoomzoom

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Did replacing BOTH cats fix your problem?

@MonsterTrucker75
Have you been able to get your issue resolved yet? If you did what did they do to fix it? Sounds like my truck is experiencing the same problem.

I bought my 2022 Powerboost on 2/1/23. I received my first engine light on 2/7/23 when I had about 900 miles on it. The engine code cleared and then came back about a month later. At this point the fault was frequent enough that it would never clear and the light was on pretty much constantly. I was able to get my truck in to the dealer finally in April. The dealer identified the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. Of course as noted it was on backorder. They cleared the codes and told me they would let me know when the catalytic converter comes in. The fault was back on within a few hours of leaving the dealership and was pretty much on the entire time now.
They finally replaced my catalytic converter on 6/7/23. I drove about 250 miles and then the engine light was back on. When I contacted the dealer this week they checked their system and could see the same catalytic converter code. So now they have ordered a new catalytic converter for the other side. Waiting to get the new one installed and hopefully this will finally stop all the engine code faults.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The ECM monitors the cats based solely on the O2 sensors. They are generally a pain to get a wrench on, but are accessible without other disassembly; I HAVE NOT replaced O2 sensors on this truck, so my general statement could be wrong here. My very first step would be to replace the O2 sensors from the failed side (the code will tell you which cylinder bank is affected). If that doesn't help, then yeah, you have extra O2 sensors you didn't need and you are missing some knuckle skin that you were fond of, but it's an easy and cheap fix if it works. O2 sensors are a long way from immortal.

I would not assume that the cat is bad based solely upon the fact that the truck is running rough. The fuel tables are in part based upon MAF and the O2 upstream O2 sensor. It is my understanding that he downstream O2 sensor purely monitors cat health, but I could easily imagine it being used for fuel mix as well. I immediately recognized the code because there are only so many alphanumerics and Ford has long used it to signify O2 sensor lean conditions in R/L cylinder banks. I had an old Exploder with a K&N intake that kept falling apart (until I redesigned it....thanks a lot K&N), and it would throw that same lean code as a response. In that case, the lean code was due to air entering the intake downstream of the MAF, which resulted in the P0430 codes from one and eventually both banks.

Point being, the code may be labeled "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold", but that's not what the code has been labeled historically and may represent some assumptions about ceteris paribus (i..e that there's no other air leak and that the O2 sensors are working properly) which are not accurate.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
I have a 22 PB, that has had this problem since January 2023. Lite came on and got the dealership appointment. Lite went off on that day so they sent me home. Came back on got another date, it stayed on that time so they look at it and said it needed a new cat, but they were on backorder.
After a few weeks it came in and they installed it. Last week it came on again, so back in I go next Monday and it starts over again.
This time I am seeing a milage loss of 4-8 mpg which I did not see before.

Wish me luck!

cozoomzoom

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I have a 22 PB, that has had this problem since January 2023. Lite came on and got the dealership appointment. Lite went off on that day so they sent me home. Came back on got another date, it stayed on that time so they look at it and said it needed a new cat, but they were on backorder.
After a few weeks it came in and they installed it. Last week it came on again, so back in I go next Monday and it starts over again.
This time I am seeing a milage loss of 4-8 mpg which I did not see before.

Wish me luck!
Good luck!

I will be interested to see if replacing both cats fixes the problem!

RE: MPG differences. I haven't see any after the code throws.

To me all of this sounds like something wrong in the logic with the the O2 sensor readings and Ford is replacing perfectly good cats. You'd think someone at Ford would be wondering why they are replacing a bunch of cats but maybe there aren't that many (yet?) so the numbers are off the radar. 🤷
Sponsored