MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Hi All,

This is very long, but just need to vent out my frustrations and get some genuine advise. Just received my 2022 Ford F-150 Platinum back end of May of this year. I've had the vehicle for close to 6 months now, and have taken beyond the best care of it. I always park my vehicle in the garage, have done early maintenance on it, and have approximately 6,550 miles on it as of today. Close to a month ago, I received a check engine light which puzzled me given the fact that in the last 30 years of driving, I have never seen an engine light on a brand spanking new vehicle under 100k miles. My last 2015 Platinum was at 62,000 miles before I sold it, and not once did I encounter any issues with it. The Ford Pass app stated that the concern at hand involved the Catalytic Converter, and to have it serviced as soon as possible. (Usually, when something like this happens early in the game, it's not a good sign, and ends up being a taste of things to come in my experience.)

I took my vehicle into the dealership, they inspected it, came back stating the CAT part is on "back order" with no ETA!!!! Everything else checked out well with the rest of the truck after deciding to do the 10,000 mile checkup, oil change, etc as well much earlier. The ASM told me that I could still drive the truck, but that I'll just have a bit of loss in efficiency, and advised me that if I did not hear back from him within three weeks to contact him. Since then, I have driven maybe once or twice to gas up or go to the corner grocery store, but have limited the driving range every since to a one mile radius. The truck has been practically stores in my garage for the remainder of the time, and I don't use it to go anywhere or do anything given any potential risks that may occur. The last thing I need is any type of potential clog or obstruction damaging the engine or anything else for that matter. One one of my short drives, I took notice that the fuel efficiency had indeed significantly dropped on my hybrid truck since first taking it in for check up right after that engine light came on. I was doing about 24-28 mpg on the road almost every day for close to 6 months. The last time I took the truck to the store yesterday, I averaged close to a ridiculous 8 mpg, as if I was towing a boat up a mountain, and on the way back slightly longer trip, averaged 20 mpg on the road which were all time lows in comparison since I first got my vehicle. I'm guessing that the truck is burning out more fuel than necessary given the CAT issue.

Sure enough, three weeks went by, and after reaching out to the ASM twice, leaving a voicemail for a return call, and not hearing back, I drove to the dealership for an update on the part just yesterday. Spoke to the ASM, and he checked for the part status, and sure enough it's still on back order with no ETA, even though he had advised my concern was placed on an emergency list when I first took it in which I'm sure everyone else is on that so called, "emergency list". At that point, I asked him what the options were because having to deal with this mess this early in the game is completely unacceptable. He advised me to contact Ford, and open a claim to "expedite the process", and gave me his honest opinion letting me know that if this were his truck, he'd have Ford take it back given the circumstances and error on their part. I could not disagree with his advise, and at the same time couldn't help to wonder if the CAT was expedited, and was installed properly, will this issue happen all over again? What caused it to go bad in the first place? What about the second CAT? Should that be replaced as well? O2 Senors? Exhaust? He advised that whichever route I chose, he still had the part order on high priority.

I contacted Ford, and was assigned to a case manager who stated the part was not on expedite, but that they are currently placing it on that status to get it resolved. She presented me two options which were to wait for them to reach out next week regarding the part replacement and what they can do to expedite this ordeal. They would need to send someone to take a look at this vehicle thoroughly. (I'm still on the fence about Ford service mechanics fully understanding hybrid models, and their thorough training with modules given how new this technology is on these Powerboost F-150 trucks. I advised her that I will not be leaving my truck anywhere unless the part is in house or they need to inspect it all over again with me present. The next option is to have Ford buy it back which would need to run through an approval process. I told the case manager that whichever option was available first, and will guarantee me all my monies worth would be verdict. However, I made it very clear that if the truck is bought back by Ford, I want every cent spent on that vehicle back including the money spent on all expensive accessories that cannot come off of the truck given this is Ford's full responsibility. (This is solely on them to make this right.) These mistakes don't just happen. We're very discouraged with the company's decisions on how they have been handling all matters, and this is no surprise.

I am now waiting on the case manager to reach out. I would prefer to have the part replaced, and everything else inspected to ensure the truck is performing as a 6,000 mile brand new truck should, but I'm sure as hell not dealing with truck issues on an expensive new truck that has been meticulously taken care of properly. If the part is expedited, and the truck properly inspected after installation without any further ridiculous faults, then I'd be willing to keep the truck.

It seems these Catalytic Converters are a scarcity, and hence being stolen as well. Having to deal with this on a fully loaded brand new $82,000 2022 Platinum is totally unacceptable. How could Ford not have properly inspected this vehicle at the assembly line?? I'm understanding that F-150 CAT issues have been happening lots, and are highly common with 2019 F-150 models and up, so why hasn't this failing concern been addressed prior to making parts for 2021-2022 models??

The part number is: ML3Z 5E212P, and the error code is: P0430 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold. I'm guessing this error applies to Bank 2. I've since read about the code, and the issues and possibilities are many. Who else has currently dealing with this ordeal? Suggestions or experience with the matter is beyond appreciated? Having to wait for months to finally get this truck only to now deal with this early in the game is very disappointing and discouraging.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I know this post is a book, but would greatly appreciate any input or advice regarding this situation. :/

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It's rare but not unheard of to have a bad converter right out of the gate. Could also be a faulty O2 sensor giving incorrect readings. Hopefully you will get it sorted out quickly. Despite that, Ford has really shat on themselves when it comes to parts availability. This has been an issue for 2.5 years now actually. They have decided to reduce dealer part allocation to a fraction of what it was pre-covid. Now everything is on back-order. Most of the parts now come from third party vendors and ship directly to the dealerships. Neither they or Ford provide ANY updates or tracking information when parts are actually shipped. The vast majority of the time dealers don't know when the parts are set to arrive until the truck pulls up to deliver them. In some cases it can take months for parts to arrive depending on how many other have failed and now many people are waiting for them. In the end it's us the customers who end up getting screwed over because how Ford is handling it.

It sucks but not much we can do other than go to another brand, but it's not going to be much better anywhere else.

OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I did think about the O2 sensors, and was hoping this was the case, but the truck is doing things it never did such as the substantial drop in fuel efficiency on the hybrid. I mean, we recently received 8 mpg on this Powerboost on my trip back from the dealer when we have been averaging between 23-28 mpg 97% of the time. I've also, heard a slight rattling sound on one or two occasions and have noticed the truck has jerked a couple of times when moderately accelerating from a stop sign, or traffic light leading me to believe this may also be a fuel injection, blockage or bad spark plug concern on a brand new truck. Any of these could have caused the CAT to have this problem in the first place, and if the part is replaced, but the culprit isn't corrected, then the new part(s) will fail all over again. Ford believes it is a fault CAT, and the engine light indicates that as well. The engine light notice disappeared all of a sudden, but I'm guessing the service dept cleared that out after the initial checkup, unless something else triggered it off. :oops::oops:

The ASM mentioned providing a rental for us in the meantime, but I would like to know some experiences regarding that along with the CAT issue. I'm understanding that a loaner should be the equivalent. Ford has had enough time to strategize this ordeal for quite some time. I understand continued production pays the bills of thousands of employees, but perhaps production should slow down a bit to accommodate obvious manufacturer defects a consumer should not be dealing with when purchasing a brand new vehicle from them. How can you continue to produce with the high risk probability that many of those trucks are going to be defective?

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The CEL may not have been a hard set code and only remained on until the issue cleared itself or the required number of key cycles completed. Stuck injector(s) would almost certainly throw a different CEL than just P0430. I'd almost bet it would go into limp home mode throwing a "Powertrain Malfunction Power Reduced" alert if it was directly engine related. with there not being any additional codes, not sure what could cause that significant level of drop in economy without seeing any data logs. The rattling could be a cat with a broken brick, and could cause a loss of performance but not the loss of mileage as reported.

Definitely a tough one.. :unsure:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
The rattling noise I believe to have heard it once or twice, but very faint though. I can't tell if it's exactly the CAT, because it's not loud. I've heard that air getting into the intake would generate that engine light as well or gasket crack somewhere allowing too much oxygen or moisture into the system. I'm thinking all possibilities here because service departments do make mistakes (at least in my experience), and replacing a part that may not be the culprit is not the solution. Perhaps getting a second opinion is best, but too scared to drive that vehicle because I sure as hell don't want to make anything worse at the moment without certainty. Better safe than sorry.

I've also, heard that leaking radiator can do just the same, but I don't see any traces of that issue anywhere on my truck. The only three indications I've personally taken notice of is that sudden drop in MPG, that strange faint rattling sound for a few seconds on a couple of occasions which at first I thought was coming from inside the vehicle, and the Ford Pass app pointing to CAT error P0430. Aside from that, the confirmation coming from the service department at Ford after my visit to have it inspected is the most recent verdict. While all this is said and done, I was thinking of taking it in for a second opinion, but I'm scared to drive the truck if it's going to make matters worse.

At 6,500 miles, could fuel injectors be clogged causing that drop in MPG? Dirty airflow sensors perhaps? Clogged fuel filters or a defective fuel pump out of the blue? These just aren't things to worry about this early in the game. It's crazy! I was told that after the CAT gets replaced, then they would do further diagnostics to see what happens from there. :unsure: So instead of gathering all the parts required at once, I'm guessing I may have to wait even longer if this doesn't resolve the ongoing issue(s). Wouldn't a bad CAT cause fuel efficiency to drop? I am curious as to see if there is any sound if I put a mallet to it gently.

Last edited:

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Honest advice is you’re probably making a mountain out of a molehill. P0420/P0430 on the Ecoboost trucks isn’t a common issue but but has been more common than it should be since MY18. I don’t know why that is.

The drop in MPG sounds like an artifact of driving short distances and never letting the vehicle come up to temp. Get it on the Highway and drive it. If there are no obvious drivability issues you aren’t going to hurt anything. Even from a diagnostic perspective it needs to complete readiness checks to give any relevant information.

OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Honest advice is you’re probably making a mountain out of a molehill. P0420/P0430 on the Ecoboost trucks isn’t a common issue but but has been more common than it should be since MY18. I don’t know why that is.

The drop in MPG sounds like an artifact of driving short distances and never letting the vehicle come up to temp. Get it on the Highway and drive it. If there are no obvious drivability issues you aren’t going to hurt anything. Even from a diagnostic perspective it needs to complete readiness checks to give any relevant information.
You have a valid point, and I completely agree that the highway provides a better MPG average at long distances in most cases. My truck is a Powerboost Hybrid V6. For the last 6 months, I've been driving this sucker on both short, and semi long distances, and very rarely does it drop under 22 mpg. Regardless of where I've driven or the distance, the truck has remained between 22-28 mpg roughly 97% of the time. You can very well see the differences if you've been behind this vehicle averaging the information almost daily, and it really blows.

The truck is currently parked at home collecting dust, since the ASM advised to limit driving until the part is replaced without an ETA, and realistically, there is no confirmation or clarity on the actual culprit. (Feels like waiting for my truck to be produced all over again only now, I’m paying a heavy monthly sum.)

I'm scheduled to receive a call today from Ford Motors, updates on expediting the necessary part, and some alternative information on returning the truck back to them should we decide to go this route. We're def not taking any chances or risks this early in the game if this is not permanently corrected. In my experience, a slight issue this early on causes non-stop visits to the shop moving forward, and that’s not the plan I have in mind.

My previous F-150 Ecoboost Plat had 65K miles, and not once did I encounter an issue.

OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
So, I heard back today from the case worker at Ford Motors who is still trying to get the "expedited" part from the supplier without an ETA. If you ask me, they just pretend to do be doing something, but are just at the mercy of the supplier. I was also, told that I will be hearing back regarding the approval process for turning the truck back to Ford. I'm guessing they are shopping around in the interim doing all kinds of calculations to see how they can profit from this vehicle if we decide on going that route. However, we won't be selling it back unless every dime spent on this vehicle comes back to me including upgrades, installation costs, original price paid, and every cent paid. I'm confident that once they purchase the truck back, they'll pull that necessary replacement part out of a hat fast enough from another new vehicle or elsewhere, and mark up the truck for 10K+ regardless of the 6,500 miles on it.

Hoping someone who had to turn their truck in or had it bought back from Ford can shed some light. Regarding a loaner or rental, does Ford provide an equivalent rental or do they source an outside company such as Hertz or Enterprise, etc?

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
Honestly, if you don’t get the part, don’t be a stickler guy every dime spent of the buyback is your best route forward. Small Negligible amounts are not worth your sanity ;)

Like you, I firmly believe lemons show early and continually. Not usually due to the build or maker, but 90% due to lack of skills and workmanship at point of service at dealers.

My 22 started leaking transmission fluid after only 200 - 300 miles. It’s has its driveline removed at only 1,200 miles to fix. Dealer caused some other damage In the R&R process. How much faith do you think I have in that repair or the truck now?

Feel your pain and can sympathize.

You may find the funny, but I did have a Ford buyback on a 2003 Cobra @ 2000 miles for all things….a plugged catalytic converter! dealer could not properly diagnosis it after 5 trips and a couple in ship. it would give a CEL and blow the vacuum lines off. They claimed I was removing the lines and then bringing it in. They put clamps with tamper seals on the lines!!

I had to track it down. TSB specific to Mustang plant it came from not having an automated line so they would continually start and idle the car to move it up the line. TSB was plugged cats from the excessive starts and idle time with symptoms of CEL and blown off vacuum lines! Took to a muffler shop and it has almost 12 lbs of back pressure ahead of cat…very plugged.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Honestly, if you don’t get the part, don’t be a stickler guy every dime spent of the buyback is your best route forward. Small Negligible amounts are not worth your sanity ;)

Like you, I firmly believe lemons show early and continually. Not usually due to the build or maker, but 90% due to lack of skills and workmanship at point of service at dealers.

My 22 started leaking transmission fluid after only 200 - 300 miles. It’s has its driveline removed at only 1,200 miles to fix. Dealer caused some other damage In the R&R process. How much faith do you think I have in that repair or the truck now?

Feel your pain and can sympathize.

You may find the funny, but I did have a Ford buyback on a 2003 Cobra @ 2000 miles for all things….a plugged catalytic converter! dealer could not properly diagnosis it after 5 trips and a couple in ship. it would give a CEL and blow the vacuum lines off. They claimed I was removing the lines and then bringing it in. They put clamps with tamper seals on the lines!!

I had to track it down. TSB specific to Mustang plant it came from not having an automated line so they would continually start and idle the car to move it up the line. TSB was plugged cats from the excessive starts and idle time with symptoms of CEL and blown off vacuum lines! Took to a muffler shop and it has almost 12 lbs of back pressure ahead of cat…very plugged.
That 2003 Cobra story is indeed funny now, but highly discouraging. So much lack of understanding, and the willingness to think outside the box. That reminds me of the good ol’ days with my first car, and the painstaking experience of taking it to the shop various times only to have the same thing break down all over again since the culprit was never addressed properly. This was too common then, and I’m sure there are similarities now with the lack of shop experience, and lack of proper training with hybrid and electric trucks. Personally, I wouldn’t jump into a Ford Lightning for another 3-4 years.

So, I’ve heard back from FM, and was told the backorder should be fulfilled by Dec 30. (5-6 weeks from now.) I realize for many, this error code correction and part replacement is not as important, but we don’t know what is truly being affected or can potentially worsen. I’ve noticed the lag in performance, the sudden jerk when accelerating from a stop or light, and the fuel economy drop I wasn’t experiencing before. That’s enough for me to worry.

We purchased a hybrid for the fuel economy, performance, flexibility and having truck capabilities all at once. Strip away most of these, and we simply wouldn’t have bothered with the Powerboost to begin with. Hell, I would’ve gone with an F-250, RAM or GMC, even though every manufacturer is dealing with something right now. I think the point here is that whether it’s a brand new truck, a new house, or even a new bike, having parts break down within a few months of buying them new is discouraging. I was thrilled when I got my truck in May, like a kid in a candy store, and how well it turned out until…..:rolleyes:

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
This was too common then, and I’m sure there are similarities now with the lack of shop experience, and lack of proper training with hybrid and electric trucks.
Unfortunately its still live and well from my experience on a warranty item last month. Human factors haven't changed. I trust the biggest factor is factor is how close to a major metro area one is.

So, I’ve heard back from FM, and was told the backorder should be fulfilled by Dec 30. (5-6 weeks from now.) I realize for many, this error code correction and part replacement is not as important, but we don’t know what is truly being affected or can potentially worsen.
That's good to have a date! I wouldn't put much weight on some of the most pointed comments. While objectively a cat should not be a factor due to its simplicity to replace, its has almost nothing to do with that in this environment. The failure is in supply and repair while being advised to limit or avoid use of a 80k vehicle. I read they are not completely disregarding the issue while making it about a simple part, not the 'real' problem. Some of us get that.

Folks love telling you what you should do with your money or how you are suppose to feel about it. If they have or would choose (if their flawless truck had a problem) that route, good on them. No less valid is your decision or feelings on what is or isn't an acceptable time frame to wait for a truck you paid for. Some of us get that too ;)

Good luck, irrespective which route you decide.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Powerboost
Hey OP I just had this same error pop up last night on my 22 PB, can you give us an update?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
If it only a 420 or 430, go ahead and drive it.
Had that same code on my old Ranger not long before I sold it and had no drivability issues at all.
Same codes have been on my 98 k 1500 for a couple of years now.

If you want to rule out the cats, get an infrared thermometer gun.
Temps at the back side of the cats should be a LOT higher than the incoming if they are working.

OP
OP

MonsterTrucker75

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Hey OP I just had this same error pop up last night on my 22 PB, can you give us an update?
Just to bring everyone up to speed on this ongoing concern, our truck's CAT was newly replaced a few days prior to Christmas. A few hours later after happily departing the dealership after two months of waiting to use the truck again, the engine light came right back on. :rolleyes::rolleyes::cautious: To make this long story short, I've taken this truck to the dealership twice after that incident to have them check why the damn engine light keeps coming back pointing to the CAT, and both times they've diagnosed, cleared errors, etc. On my last visit, a pending module was updated. Took the truck home, and all was well for a few hours. All of a sudden, the stupid engine light came back on on.

So far, the dealership has paid a temporary rental while my truck was down, and Ford Motors paid off a month's payment as a courtesy. As of now, we have reached out to Ford Motors again regarding our case, and have asked them to have a highly qualified mechanic/technician come out to look at the problem or provide me with an alternative. If that engine light is still getting triggered, then either the system is faulty or the actual mechanical culprit has not been addressed, and remains at potential risk. For all we know, the CAT was replaced without a real need or the newly replaced piece is also faulty. We're at the point of truly believing everyone at the Ford Dealership Service Department is playing the guessing game at this point, and the they are obviously lacking the needed training to narrow down the issue. (All the kings horses and all the king's men cannot figure this damn thing out.)

On our last visit (48 hours ago), the mechanic took the truck out for a spin after checking things for over 30 minutes and consumed a considerable chunk of fuel. The amount of hours, time, frustration and time off of work has been exhausting. I've explained to our case manager at Ford Motors that we cannot take the truck in for servicing every other day for the same problem, and that something logical needs to be done about this ongoing issue.

I don't know if any of you are driving around a brand new F-150 Powerboost with a check engine light on, but we're sure as hell not going to leave this as is. The truck is now at 7,100 miles, and it's been 7 months since we picked it up from the dealership after production.
Sponsored

Last edited: