Erratic cruise control

Xchevyguy

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150
Anyone else see something like this? Towing the travel trailer, tow haul mode, cruise set anywhere from 60 to 65 mph. Cruise gets a mind of its own and jumps up to 75 mph. Thought I might have touched the cruise button on the wheel at first, but later this happens again when my hand is on the bottom of the wheel. Long story short, happens again maybe a half dozen times, resetting anywhere from 30 to 80 mph. About 600 miles from home so far, and not going back any time soon. Don't feel safe waiting for it to happen again for obvious reasons and not like I can just pop in to the nearest dealer.
Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Sounds like you may have traffic sign recognition on. I turned it off immediately.

OP
OP

Xchevyguy

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150
Yes to both, but I'm driving on I 35 all day long. Speed limit is never 80, and certainly not 30 mph. Also noticed it jumping up 2 or 3 mph by itself every so often. Speed recognition should never override the manual cruise setting, and cause sudden acceleration. That's a real safety issue. All it has ever done prior is flash on the cluster if you go over the set toletance.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
That’s the “warning setting”. There is a setting where the cruise control adjust the speed based on the sign.

Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
mine sometimes reads signs wrong some times. I know one in my development shows 25 but the cruise every time jumps to 35 when I pass that sign.

OP
OP

Xchevyguy

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150
Would you know where to find that setting? Doesn't sound like something the legal department would ever approve. Don't get me wrong. I don't know what I don't know. But what's happening seems downright dangerous. It doesn't adjust itself for reduced speed zones. Lets me stay where I set it.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Page 362 in the owners manual

OP
OP

Xchevyguy

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150
Thanks for the input. Read the entire section and it does seem the vehicle speed will increase following the signs. As I said, I don't know what I don't know. Now I know. But I'm the guy that doesn't always feel the need to do the limit and frequently set the (adaptive) cruise something less than full speed. Until yesterday, it has always stayed where I set it. Another 486 miles today with the speed sign recognition turned off and no issues. It's the inconsistency that makes me think somethings off. Or maybe the sign recognition was never on with the cruise control before? We shall see.

Guard777

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine has those options and is dangerous as well. ATV speed limit signs, ramp
Speed signs, corner speed signs. Those signs are much smaller than the normal speed limit signs but it still reads them and adjusts the speed. You’d think ford could figure out how to make the software recognize that. It’s pretty dangerous when you’re in a 65MPH zone and it suddenly reads a 25MPH exit sign and slows down fast while in traffic.
also- my speed tolerance is set to 5 over. It regularly sets itself to 74 in a 65.
Sponsored