• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Much like rated mileage, your mileage may vary also. Anyone hand wringing over 300 mile range or 280 range is getting tunnel vision on what is largely just the middle of a range target. For example, we have a 2017 Focus Electric. Despite having 34k miles and being about 4 years old, my wife still gets more range from it than it advertises as new. 20-30 miles more is not unusual. People in Teslas and other EVs see more or sometimes less range than quoted on the window.

Even in ICE F-150s, I see people with PowerBoosts that say they can't get over 19 MPG in their truck, but I have had two long distance trips now where my overall highway mileage was 24.3 MPG. But location, driving style, climate, elevation, many things play a factor in mileage. So if you were really going to be so tight that 300 miles was okay, but 280 is a non-starter, then probably don't take the risk. But these aren't hard limits of any kind, actual mileage depending on driver will be higher or in some cases lower. Until we see some real world testing I wouldn't sweat it too much.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Much like rated mileage, your mileage may vary also. Anyone hand wringing over 300 mile range or 280 range is getting tunnel vision on what is largely just the middle of a range target. For example, we have a 2017 Focus Electric. Despite having 34k miles and being about 4 years old, my wife still gets more range from it than it advertises as new. 20-30 miles more is not unusual. People in Teslas and other EVs see more or sometimes less range than quoted on the window.

Even in ICE F-150s, I see people with PowerBoosts that say they can't get over 19 MPG in their truck, but I have had two long distance trips now where my overall highway mileage was 24.3 MPG. But location, driving style, climate, elevation, many things play a factor in mileage. So if you were really going to be so tight that 300 miles was okay, but 280 is a non-starter, then probably don't take the risk. But these aren't hard limits of any kind, actual mileage depending on driver will be higher or in some cases lower. Until we see some real world testing I wouldn't sweat it too much.
^^^ Correct!

EV range is so variable - it's not funny!

People get so wrapped up over miles per charge that at times, I want to scream: don't sweat it!

Variables on EV range is so huge that people really get their undies in a twist.

My PHEV range gets 50-60 miles per charge while the same exact car in someone else's hands (my wife) gets half the range because she drives it like a sports car, jack rabbit take offs, sport mode (dual battery & ICE running together), climate control (heating), seat heaters, A/C blasting, sound system blaring, brakes hard (negates regen braking by coasting and light braking).

Then add cold weather - that causes the battery chemistry to reduce output - thus miles.
The number of people complaining when the weather turns cooler is so predictable - they want to sue their dealer, manufacturer, neighbor, etc...

If you are that concerned about getting 280 vs 300 miles of range, then EV is not right for you.....

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
The will be the first EV F150 folks so one shouldnā€™t expect the moon and the stars.

Iā€™m sure itā€™ll improve over time but until the current battery tech improves, including solid state batteries, which will be the next step for most if not all EVā€™s, it is what it is.

With that being said, I think many people are overlooking what else the Lightning is bringing to market which will be a first for a 1/2 ton and will find itā€™s way on future F150ā€™sā€¦ā€¦the IRS.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
^^^ Correct!

EV range is so variable - it's not funny!

People get so wrapped up over miles per charge that at times, I want to scream: don't sweat it!

Variables on EV range is so huge that people really get their undies in a twist.

My PHEV range gets 50-60 miles per charge while the same exact car in someone else's hands (my wife) gets half the range because she drives it like a sports car, jack rabbit take offs, sport mode (dual battery & ICE running together), climate control (heating), seat heaters, A/C blasting, sound system blaring, brakes hard (negates regen braking by coasting and light braking).

Then add cold weather - that causes the battery chemistry to reduce output - thus miles.
The number of people complaining when the weather turns cooler is so predictable - they want to sue their dealer, manufacturer, neighbor, etc...

If you are that concerned about getting 280 vs 300 miles of range, then EV is not right for you.....
Yes exactly. For people that the variability frustrates, I say to just use as a reminder of how inefficiently the embodied energy in an ICE vehicles fuel is. So much unutilzed heat rejected to the outside air.

Sponsored

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
I may be outā€¦. 280 mile range for platinum disappoints me. Dropping to lariat I cannot get max recline seats as an option or unleashed sound system. Maybe the 2023 version will allow these options. Ugh.
Vandy1981 says the 22" Wheels causing the 280 hit. You can get a platinum with smaller 20" and get the 300?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Vandy1981 says the 22" Wheels causing the 280 hit. You can get a platinum with smaller 20" and get the 300?
Why 22" wheels on a truck ?

I don't understand putting on 22" wheels unless you plan to drive it in a ghetto city, race it on streets, and lower it to do hydraulic tricks....?

I love 18" wheels for it's universal ability to take on snow tires, off road tires, run flats, etc...

Can you imagine 22" tires on snow or ice ????ā˜¹

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy

I don't understand putting on 22" wheels unless you plan to drive it in a ghetto city, race it on streets, and lower it to do hydraulic tricks....?

I love 18" wheels for it's universal ability to take on snow tires, off road tires, run flats, etc...

How Tire and Wheel Choice Affects Electric Vehicle Range

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...d-wheel-choice-affects-electric-vehicle-range

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Sponsored

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales

22" wheel more so for aesthetic. got a friend with a top of the line RAM 1500 with a 22" wheel and they look very nice! it maybe flexible for its usefulness but i find small 18" wheel on a full size pick-up proportionally too small & makes the overall appearance kinda look degraded IMO. maybe it is just me.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
22" wheel more so for aesthetic. got a friend with a top of the line RAM 1500 with a 22" wheel and they look very nice! it maybe flexible for its usefulness but i find small 18" wheel on a full size pick-up proportionally too small & makes the overall appearance kinda look degraded IMO. maybe it is just me.
They intentionally designed the vehicle to look that way to be able to upsell you to the larger wheels.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I wasn't sure where to put this...I was just on a call with Ford and someone in the EV group just said the 230/300 range target *is* with 1000lb payload. I hadn't heard if this was confirmed but I would take this person's word for it since it was presented as part of 2022MY vehicle review for my company, which is a very high volume Ford customer.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I wasn't sure where to put this...I was just on a call with Ford and someone in the EV group just said the 230/300 range target *is* with 1000lb payload. I hadn't heard if this was confirmed but I would take this person's word for it since it was presented as part of 2022MY vehicle review for my company, which is a very high volume Ford customer.
Ford has been stating this for awhile now. I'd take that as valid information. Remember, anything inside the cab is considered part of that payload (including people).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Ford has been stating this for awhile now. I'd take that as valid information. Remember, anything inside the cab is considered part of that payload (including people).
Cool, last time I saw discussion about the 1000lb EPA numbers I got the sense that it was still speculation.
Sponsored