Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Good luck!
I know that would be frustrating to say the least.
Sponsored

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
Is it a common issue on the 5.0s to have detention?
Not with decent fuel.
I get its a 12:1 compression ratio but it should have enough igntion timing control to keep pining away.
It does. Understand though, the intake cams have been modified to close off air/fuel early. This provides a longer compression of the mix, so any substandard fuel can cause knock more easily.
Is there anyway to reset the base tune?
Thats a question for Ford, I don't know but I suspect there must be.

If you're sure it's knock, try my suggestions. If you're not sure, data log first to confirm.

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
It sounds like you are experiencing piston slap. Do a google search for "Coyote Typewriter Tick", or better yet "Coyote Piston Slap". Ford replaced the sleeved cylinder liners in the Coyote with a plasma coating. That coating has a tendency to wear off and increase the tolerance between the piston skirts and the cylinder bores. The slightly extra space between the two allows for piston slap, especially at certain rpms. I was experiencing the detonation sound in my 2018 Mustang GT with the factory oil weight of 5W-20, as were many other owners. The sound was especially bad for mine at around 2300 rpms. The issue went away after switching to 5W-30 full synthetic oil. Because so many Mustang GT owners experienced this problem and resolved it with thicker oil, Ford changed the oil spec for the Coyote to 5W-30 in 2019 or 2020.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/so-has-everyone-made-peace-with-the-2k-rattle.147833/

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70832-piston-slap-tick/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
It sounds like you are experiencing piston slap. Do a google search for "Coyote Typewriter Tick". Ford replaced the sleeved cylinder liners in the Coyote with a plasma coating. That coating has a tendency to wear off and increase the tolerance between the piston skirts and the cylinder bores. The slightly extra space between the two allows for piston slap, especially at certain rpms. I was experiencing the detonation sound in my 2018 Mustang GT with the factory oil weight of 10W-20, as were many other owners. The sound was especially bad for mine at around 2300 rpms. The issue went away after switching to 10W-30 full synthetic oil. Because so many Mustang GT owners experienced this problem and resolved it with thicker oil, Ford changed the oil spec for the Coyote to 10W-30 in 2019 or 2020.
Mine is more of a metallic sound. Looked up some videos of the type writer tick. Totally different to mine. Mine sounds more like someone smacking the separator plate with a hand rachet. Will definitely try full synthetic a shot.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
Not with decent fuel.
It does. Understand though, the intake cams have been modified to close off air/fuel early. This provides a longer compression of the mix, so any substandard fuel can cause knock more easily.
Thats a question for Ford, I don't know but I suspect there must be.

If you're sure it's knock, try my suggestions. If you're not sure, data log first to confirm.
Next I will try to get some data on what the igntion timing is doing. I will also try some octane boosters maybe and see what it does. All the dealers around me are a joke and don't want to diagnose anything without CEL lights on. So I'm gunna be on own.

Sponsored

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
It's not pre-ignition detonation. Octane boosters will not do anything (because they are joke snake oil) for this noise.
It's valve train noise.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
It's not pre-ignition detonation. Octane boosters will not do anything (because they are joke snake oil) for this noise.
It's valve train noise.
I'm open to any ideas as to what it could he. Initially I thought it was valve train noise too. I'm going to try different oil next. The engine runs great and is dead silent until it makes the noise it makes. It does it right around 4k rpm on the dot every time and then sometimes it does it more as the rpm climbs. And even has great power while it's making the noise.

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
I just noticed some octane ping in mine yesterday after fueling up with 87 octane. I had run about 2 tanks of 93 back to back prior but always used 87 before that and never noticed had any performance or ping issues.

Its seems to have lessened the more I drive but I was wondering if these engines "learn" in any way and adjust for that?

I remember swapping between 87 & E85 in a 2012 Escape I had and I noticed even that car would change the "miles till empty" reading after fill up depending on what fuel I used which suprised me.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
I just noticed some octane ping in mine yesterday after fueling up with 87 octane. I had run about 2 tanks of 93 back to back prior but always used 87 before that and never noticed had any performance or ping issues.

Its seems to have lessened the more I drive but I was wondering if these engines "learn" in any way and adjust for that?

I remember swapping between 87 & E85 in a 2012 Escape I had and I noticed even that car would change the "miles till empty" reading after fill up depending on what fuel I used which suprised me.
Yes I actually ran 3 tanks of e85 through my truck and yesterday I went back to 89 and the problem is totally gone. Weirdest thing.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
From what I have read about the 5.0l coyote engine is it is a variable displacement engine. At certain times the system will shut down cylinders to improve low speed fuel economy. To add to this it's running a fairly high compression ratio to boot, something like 12:1 so running 87 octane is fine but your pushing it to its limits. The "ping" you hear may be this system engaging. If this is what is happening then it is by design and about the only thing that may improve it is an aftermarket tune.

As for switching octane, Modern systems are not like days of old where you see an immediate difference when switching grades. The truck takes time to adapt to fuel changes to you may not see any change for 1/4 to 1/2 a tank when switching from 87 to 93 for example. It may also take up to 250 or so miles for it to really be noticeable as well.

Depending on when you hear it happen the engine is possibly lugging due to the transmission causing low speed pre-ignition (LSPI). It's turning out to be a fairly common issue with Ford and the 10R80's when on surface streets the transmission selects a fairly high gear causing engine rpm to drop a little too low then starts lugging and you get LSPI. One way to test this is to put it into manual or sport mode and bump down a gear or two and see if it stops. This is a VERY common issue with the Rangers and most either ignore it or like myself would enable tow mode. Doing that runs a different shift strategy keeping the rpm's up a little more for better power when hauling. After market tuners like Unleashed have setup tunes with custom shift tables that all but eliminate this as well.

I'd start with putting the transmission into manual or sport mode for a few days or so and see if you notice any change and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
The pinging I experienced after my 87 octane fill up was most noticeable under load with a heavy foot. It also seemed to happen just a few miles outside of the gas station but I ran the tank down to the last 10 miles according to the dash reading.

However in just normal cruising I was also able to hear some pinging when slowly rolling into the gas. So I guess its possible that it was in the cylinder shut off mode at that time.

I really haven't felt the cylinder deactivation but I believe I have heard it several times when stopped at a light or before backing out of the garage. There's an audible change in then engine idle sound and I suspect that's whats its doing.

I'll see today if it continues to improve or what I had described as "learning".

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The pinging I experienced after my 87 octane fill up was most noticeable under load with a heavy foot. It also seemed to happen just a few miles outside of the gas station but I ran the tank down to the last 10 miles according to the dash reading.

However in just normal cruising I was also able to hear some pinging when slowly rolling into the gas. So I guess its possible that it was in the cylinder shut off mode at that time.

I really haven't felt the cylinder deactivation but I believe I have heard it several times when stopped at a light or before backing out of the garage. There's an audible change in then engine idle sound and I suspect that's whats its doing.

I'll see today if it continues to improve or what I had described as "learning".
If you were monitoring the PIDs for OAR and KR (octane adjust tables and knock sensors/both being timing related) you will have witnessed the actual "learning" taking place in the motor.

At the risk of oversimplification, as the pcm sensed knock, it will adjust the OAR value down, which is really another table of timing values that the pcm uses. If it continues to sense knock, it will lower it again until it gets to a table of values that makes everything happy in the combustion chamber.

There are a LOT of timing tables!
And there are lot of additional parameters in play when you re-fuel.

Ford F-150 Engine pinging/soark knock 20220806_132533

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
Seems to have fixed itself.

No longer giving me any of that noticeable ping.

Think I’ll stick with the 87!
Sponsored