Engine pinging/soark knock

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
Hello, I have a 21 5.0 f150. I have been experiencing engine pinging for about 8k miles the truck only has anout 19k. I've tried 87, 89, 93 octane fuel from several different gas stations around me. I had the truck at a dealer for almost 2 months to diagnose the noise im hearing. For them to tell me that it was engine ping. They used a section of the manual wich states engine pining is "part of normal operation" of my truck. Engine pining is not normal operation for any vehicle. They also offered me a slight improvement to my factory warranty. If it's normal why give me better warranty? I want to know if anyone knows a way I can clear it up. I'm scared to tow anything with my truck with the current pinging. Is there a way I can reset the timing map? Its like the truck isn't retarding timing enough to keep it from pinging no matter what fuel I use. Thank you. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
What oil and weight is in it.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I use motor craft 5-20 every oil change with a fl500s motor craft filter
Doesnt the 21-22 coyote call for 5-30w?

Little thicker oil will quiet it down

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
Doesnt the 21-22 coyote call for 5-30w?

Little thicker oil will quiet it down
Engine oil weight wouldn't effect detonating in the cylinders. It has to do with igntion timing and fuel octane. But I can try changing to a 5-30 I'm just not sure what it will change.

Sponsored

SilverPigeon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 KR 5.0L 157"WB RHD "Emaciated Edition"
The 93 in your area might be bad quality. Things to try to eliminate knock:
1. Some octanium or similar to raise octane as an experiment
2. Because the engine is flex-fuel, run out your 93 and try e85 for the same reason as above
3. if either of those don't fix knock, the only thing I can think of is to get a device to log the situations where you have knock, then send it to a tuning company and ask their opinion of how serious the knock is and what to do to rectify it. In that case be prepared to have them want to sell you one of their tunes.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Engine oil weight wouldn't effect detonating in the cylinders. It has to do with igntion timing and fuel octane. But I can try changing to a 5-30 I'm just not sure what it will change.
Because it sounds like the noise "sounds" like detonationg, but not proven to be.

What you suspect is not a known issue with this engine and I would expect codes thrown for that and are not seen.

I would use recommended oil weight and revisit.

Any reason you are not running reommended oil weight?

Resolving this issue or not.....that is nkt a great idea.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
The 93 in your area might be bad quality. Things to try to eliminate knock:
1. Some octanium or similar to raise octane as an experiment
2. Because the engine is flex-fuel, run out your 93 and try e85 for the same reason as above
3. if either of those don't fix knock, the only thing I can think of is to get a device to log the situations where you have knock, then send it to a tuning company and ask their opinion of how serious the knock is and what to do to rectify it. In that case be prepared to have them want to sell you one of their tunes.
Is it a common issue on the 5.0s to have detention? I get its a 12:1 compression ratio but it should have enough igntion timing control to keep pining away. Especially with 93 octane. It didn't have any when I first got the truck. And I used to only run 87 in it. Is there anyway to reset the base tune? It's like it doesn't have enough adjustment or something. It's a 21 f150 it should be smart enough to back timing out.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
Because it sounds like the noise "sounds" like detonationg, but not proven to be.

What you suspect is not a known issue with this engine and I would expect codes thrown for that and are not seen.

I would use recommended oil weight and revisit.

Any reason you are not running reommended oil weight?

Resolving this issue or not.....that is nkt a great idea.
The difference between 5-20 and 5-30 wouldn't be enough to really change much. 5-20 is what the dealer put in when I got the recall done for the oil life sensor.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Is it a common issue on the 5.0s to have detention? I get its a 12:1 compression ratio but it should have enough igntion timing control to keep pining away. Especially with 93 octane. It didn't have any when I first got the truck. And I used to only run 87 in it. Is there anyway to reset the base tune? It's like it doesn't have enough adjustment or something. It's a 21 f150 it should be smart enough to back timing out.
No it is not. There is no way a 5.0 is detonating with 93 octane, unless there are issues. Which should throw a code. Hense the recommendation to run proper oil.

Are you running a custom tune?

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The difference between 5-20 and 5-30 wouldn't be enough to really change much. 5-20 is what the dealer put in when I got the recall done for the oil life sensor.
That dealer should know new oil required with new gen4 coyote in 21.
I would check oil level if you have not. That changed as well. May be over filled.

I wouldnt trust that dealer of they cant get this correct.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
No it is not. There is no way a 5.0 is detonating with 93 octane, unless there are issues. Which should throw a code. Hense the recommendation to run proper oil.

Are you running a custom tune?
Nothing done to the truck it is totally bone stock. Like I said above the dealer put 5-20 in it when they did the recall for the oil life sensor.

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
That dealer should know new oil required with new gen4 coyote in 21.
I would check oil level if you have not. That changed as well. May be over filled.

I wouldnt trust that dealer of they cant get this correct.
I personally changed my oil on the other oil changes. It's not just this oil change that it has had this noise. 5-20 vs 5-30 isn't a huge difference. Some manufacturers even recommend one or the other for fuel economy reasons and ambient temperatures.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If I was convinced that my engine was experiencing pre-ignition (pre-detonation) and yet the dealership was not concerned or in agreement, I would absolutely make the effort to monitor the appropriate pids myself to determine what is true.

The engine management system on that motor is very sophisticated and it would be very unlikely that true pre-detonation could hide from the datalog.

I am a Powerboost, rather than the Coyote, but I have been monitoring the combustion chamber for happiness on my last 3 trucks.

Ford F-150 Engine pinging/soark knock 20220806_132533

You could do something similar with a cheap ODB adapter and an app on your phone. Just for peace of mind?

OP
OP

Frank_5.021

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 5.0 f150
If I was convinced that my engine was experiencing pre-ignition (pre-detonation) and yet the dealership was not concerned or in agreement, I would absolutely make the effort to monitor the appropriate pids myself to determine what is true.

The engine management system on that motor is very sophisticated and it would be very unlikely that true pre-detonation could hide from the datalog.

I am a Powerboost, rather than the Coyote, but I have been monitoring the combustion chamber for happiness on my last 3 trucks.

20220806_132533.jpg

You could do something similar with a cheap ODB adapter and an app on your phone. Just for peace of mind?
Yes that is what's next on my diagnostic list. No matter what it is. It's loud enough I can hear it in the cab. Any knocking or ticking or detention is not normal for a new truck. The dealer and Ford didn't seem to share my opinion.
Sponsored