Sponsored

Electric Fridge in F150?

walnutF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 3.5 EB Platinum
Does anyone have a ~55L electric fridge inside their truck (rear seat up) or in the bed with tonneau cover? Pics? Comments? Suggestions? Theft concerns if in box? Havent seen a bunch on this forum or I am totally missing it. Planning to use with Bluetti AC180. Preferably an ICE truck (3.5) as that is what I have.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Tiny fridge that fits inside center console is all I've seen posted on here. Unless you have a PB you'd need a large aftermarket inverter to run a real fridge.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have an Alpicool 50L refridgerator/freezer that I've stored in the bed under the tonneau when I've gone camping. Works pretty well. I use the Pro-power on-board generator to keep it running during the day, and at night I connect it to a Jackery Power Station so that I don't listen to the truck running all night long (and then recharge the Jackery the following morning when I turn Pro-power back on). If anything, I might recommend a larger power station than my setup, just to give you a bit more flexibility of when to recharge, but I had the 240Wh system already when I tried this.

I assume that the same setup would work equally well if stored in the cab, but I haven't tried that. My locking tonneau seems to be enough protection for my needs, and it doesn't occupy space in the cab that I might need for passengers.

Edit--one additional thing to remember: if you're planning to store it in the bed, double-check the measurements before you buy. My 50L cooler is almost as tall as the bed, so the tonneau doesn't have much clearance to slide over it (it works, but there's only an inch or two to spare). If you're looking for a 55L size, it might be too tall to fit in a covered bed, depending upon brand.

2nd edit: I misstated the size--it's actually a 50L cooler (20" high).

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have an Alpicool 50L refridgerator/freezer that I've stored in the bed under the tonneau when I've gone camping. Works pretty well. I use the Pro-power on-board generator to keep it running during the day, and at night I connect it to a Jackery Power Station so that I don't listen to the truck running all night long (and then recharge the Jackery the following morning when I turn Pro-power back on). If anything, I might recommend a larger power station than my setup, just to give you a bit more flexibility of when to recharge, but I had the 240Wh system already when I tried this.
That Jackery is one of the smaller ones. How long can the Alpicool run with that 240Whs in real life experience.

staying_tuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
We have a Dometic CFX3-75, it has dual-zone fridge/freezer that we run off our EcoFlow delta. The delta is charged via solar panel while camping, then 12v A/C while on the road. I'm hoping Cascadia 4x4 offers nice hood panels and a solar controller like they do for our recently sold Jeep Gladiator. That was 100% set and forget with the hood panel charging the Delta and the solar controller trickle charging the truck battery once the Delta is full.

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
That Jackery is one of the smaller ones. How long can the Alpicool run with that 240Whs in real life experience.
Running it overnight pretty well drains it, so it requires a recharge in the morning. As I recall, I used it in "freezer" mode last time, and the system shut down sometime overnight when it ran out of power, but all of the food was still frozen when I woke up in the morning, so it likely wasn't off for very long. And if I needed to extend the freezing capability while it's unpowered, I could add some of those blue ice packs to further keep things cold to bridge the gap between powered use.

I agree that it's not sized appropriately for this use case, but I already had this power station on hand when I bought the cooler, and I didn't really want to buy a second one that was properly sized, so I've made it work. If I were buying them both at the same time, I would buy a more capable power station to give a bit more "wiggle room" to allow for recharging the system a bit later in the day.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Running it overnight pretty well drains it, so it requires a recharge in the morning. As I recall, I used it in "freezer" mode last time, and the system shut down sometime overnight when it ran out of power, but all of the food was still frozen when I woke up in the morning, so it likely wasn't off for very long. And if I needed to extend the freezing capability while it's unpowered, I could add some of those blue ice packs to further keep things cold to bridge the gap between powered use.

I agree that it's not sized appropriately for this use case, but I already had this power station on hand when I bought the cooler, and I didn't really want to buy a second one that was properly sized, so I've made it work. If I were buying them both at the same time, I would buy a more capable power station to give a bit more "wiggle room" to allow for recharging the system a bit later in the day.
All things considered that is great that you can squeeze a full night out of it, even on freezer. Your routine is great and since you will not be going in and out of the freezer in the middle of the night, that small unit is wonderful to cover it. Probably charges back up the next day in no time too.

Sojourner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Tremor
Occupation
Retired Army / Disabled Vet
I have the Whynter 45l (FM-45G) fridge/freezer and it runs right out of a 12v receptacle. Using a 600w power station it can go for at least a day. Never have to touch my 2kw outlet in the bed. Has a 110v adapter, if needed. Bought the first one in mid-2022 for $325 (Amazon Warehouse), the second for $400 in early 2023 (Warehouse, too); new, it's $500 on Amazon (so the price has been holding). Go here if interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W8BLUG

Here's the Whynter:

Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? 1708608027166

I also have a 50l Change Moore fridge/freezer. Runs the same way as the Whynter. Bought it for $345 in late 2022 because so many people raved positively about it on Amazon. Up-voted b/c it was lighter in weight than the Whynter, but just as functional. Alas, we didn't find it to be so (which is why we bought the second Whynter). Anyway, the Change Moore model we bought now shows as "unavailable" on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09M87Q461)

Here's the Change Moore:

Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? 1708608102267

The Change Moore works pretty well, but we like the Whynter much more. Yes, the Whynter is more expensive and is heavier. But it's built like a tank and - wow - does it do its thing! And the optional cover is great.

If we need both a fridge and a freezer we use both Whynters (the Change Moore is riding the bench for "just in case"/back-up purposes).

Doesn't quite answer the OP's question, but thought it might be useful info....

Cheers.

Last edited:

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
This is what I’ve been using for camping and overnight trips. Operates either as a fridge or as a freezer. When camping , it runs on the trucks pro power to freeze ice for the coolers, so it’s set it the lowest temp. At night, I switch it over to a 12 volt 18 amp lithium battery. For the most part it will operate around 10 hours on the battery but it depends on the air temperature inside the truck. I recharge the battery with the truck during the day. Very happy with the unit. Although I would suggest a larger battery .

Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? IMG_9969

OP
OP
walnutF150

walnutF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 3.5 EB Platinum
So here is what I ended up doing. Went with Iceco APL55/Bluetti AC180. Should not have any excuses for not having things cold or frozen when traveling. When not in the truck will be using in my workshop. Getting rid of my Yeti and ice hassle :)

Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 1.22.01 PM

Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 1.20.10 PM

Last edited:

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
A fridge that is designed to keep food at 40 degrees does not need that much power to operate. We do not use ours for ice cream but for cold cuts and cans of beer to make snacks while traveling.

I use a pet bridge that attaches to the front and rear headrests and covers the floor so anything below the pet bridge is out of sight. It also keeps items like clothes duffels off the floor.

Works for people with pets too.

Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? Pet Bridge.JPG

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
My experience needing an overnight electrical pull isn't with a fridge, but for a heater. Not exactly apples to apples. Still, I learned that for tent camping, the Powerboost running at night is darn loud. I quickly learned the way to go is to use a battery generator at night and recharge it with the truck in the day time. I don't have a battery generator. If I get one, I will can the largest I can afford. You can't really have one that's too large.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
I have an iceco JP50 and run it off a 100Ah Dr. Prepare battery... I've had it run the fridge up to 5 days in a row and still had 50% battery left at the end of the trip. It will fit under my back roll top tonnaue, but just barely... I have to unlatch the lock to slide it out of the bed. I usually keep it in a NS orientation behind the passenger seat with the rear seat folded.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q72H2C7
Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? 61KXD42TkKL._AC_SL1500_

Battery (12v only, no AC, but much more power for your money):
https://www.amazon.com/Prepare-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Phosphate-Off-Grid/dp/B083ZDL1SZ/
Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? 61L8YqcqU7L._AC_SL1500_

I charge the battery either off the truck with a 12v-anderson adaptor, or with the AGM setting (AGM and LiFePO4 have nearly identical charge requirements) on my battery charger in the garage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PDD3R7J/
Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? 619YJTisdYL._AC_SL1500_

..I did buy a folding solar panel, but because the battery last so long (and I keep it plugged in in the back of the truck full time during camp season), I have never had to charge it using solar.

I have also used the battery to run a 12v blanket set on low for camping in 20 F night time temps with good success.. the blanket goes under the sheets in the RTT. Walmart sells them cheaper than amazon, but here is the amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VH2L7JV/
Ford F-150 Electric Fridge in F150? 71+R34YRfEL._AC_SL1356_
Sponsored