Sponsored

Electric brakes, what’s been your experience?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I'm having issues with my 21 powerboost after only 1200miles. Completely lost brakes while driving, the dealer replaced the booster and a few other items and the truck is now at the 3rd visit due to the same issue.
document, document and document!!

Keep all paper work and log in the times taken with dates. If they get it all fixed then good. If not, research your states lemon laws. In my state they have 3 times to fix the same issue or 30 days out of service.

Your service dept could be bad or they are just going one component at a time and with breaks that doesn't sound very safe.
Sponsored

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
My 5.0 is great for threshold braking in Normal mode. Still trying to figure out in Sport mode. In sport mode it fights drive train momentum a bit in low gears, but expected, need to adjust input.
ABS on rough surface, meh needs fox 2.0 and softer/better tires I think to prevent front chatter and overshoot. In collision avoidance mode, braking is great, applies close to max for a bit then backs off.
I think a Ford engineer said it was easier to tune 5.0 braking than PB. (Other treads)
Slight rain was good, No idea about dirt yet. Anyone try heavy braking off road in there PB?

Last edited:

YOCUBED

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
Brakes overall seem good. Only one minor quirk that I've noticed is that when backing down a steeper incline in electric mode, if you stop on the incline after a few seconds the brakes release slightly and the truck jerks back a few inches before the brakes grab again. Doesn't seem to be the case if the engine is running the brakes consistently hold.

Sponsored

jrhoops

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 SCREW, 35L-PB
Occupation
IT
I have powerboost so not certain if its specific to that but I feel like they are a bit stiff, not noticable while driving but when stopped in traffic I feel I have to stand on the pedal a bit more than other vehicles. Enough so that if I relax the truck will drift, it was enough of an issue for me to turn on autohold and just deal with the excessive accelerator brake release delay

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I’ve noticed that there seems to be a bit of play in the pedal at the start of the stroke (If that makes any sense). It’s as though the pedal isn’t properly connected to the braking mechanism, such that pedal is slightly loose (no resistance) before it hits the brake mechanism. The pedal also makes clicking noises in this ”loose“ area at the begging of the stroke.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I have no problems with the brakes on my Powerboost; they are different, but they work well.
I really like the electric parking brake, though I miss having a manual hand brake (seems only drifters care about that anymore).

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I have powerboost so not certain if its specific to that but I feel like they are a bit stiff, not noticable while driving but when stopped in traffic I feel I have to stand on the pedal a bit more than other vehicles. Enough so that if I relax the truck will drift, it was enough of an issue for me to turn on autohold and just deal with the excessive accelerator brake release delay
I agree completely, just getting it to come to a final stop and staying there is the only time I feel they leave something to be desired.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I agree completely, just getting it to come to a final stop and staying there is the only time I feel they leave something to be desired.
Mine were a little bit like that at the beginning but later that went away. May be the break pads breaking in.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Mine were a little bit like that at the beginning but later that went away. May be the break pads breaking in.
I notice it’s somewhat from Eco Idle fighting me sometimes it seems. When it does that high rev idle it feels like you’re fighting the brakes to get it to stop and it wants to jump as you let off.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Horrible or at least a big learning curve. I have driven Fords exclusively (except for one Z06 Corvette) for 45 years. Ford brakes stop on a dime, ALWAYS. Moving from my F150 Supercrew 2016 Ecoboost to this 2021 Supercrew Powerboost was eye opening. Many times in fast moving traffic when you have to brake quickly I wonder if the truck is going to stop and have to apply more pressure to the pedal. I have had it at the dealer twice checking the brakes. I currently have 19,000 miles in 7 months. The only thing I can figure is this truck is roughly 1100 lbs more than the Ecoboost. I also have the max towing package that should have heavier brakes. When I am pulling a 11,000 dual axle trailer with electric brakes it seems as if the trailer brakes are slowing the truck.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Little difference. I have no issue with them. Still have to get use to engine cutting back on from electrice mode. All in all loving it and especially the ride quality.
Especially when you are backing out of your garage close to walls and other cars, then the motor starts shakes the truck slightly and I about wet myself!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Coming from the 20 Ranger where the brakes felt like a bowl of luke warm oatmeal and panic stops were well a panic inducing because you never knew where the pedal would engage at. Will it stop in time? Who knows!

All I can say about the F150 PB brakes is...

Ford F-150 Electric brakes, what’s been your experience? w=0&h=D4m0NJgTNK6kmnVqWaCQ9RFHqm6rSN5jcqWiMkwPBy0=

It stops...

WELL...
Sponsored