Effects of lift / oversized tires on Powerboost or Co-Pilot 360

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
I've ordered a 2021 King Ranch with Powerboost and the Co-Pilot 360 active prep package.

I'm wondering what effect a lift and oversized tires might have on the Powerboost drivetrain/regen, etc. and also on the autonomous driving functionality. It seems like for the latter, accurate speed measurement would be necessary (and I know GPS can be used for that as well).

On my 2018, I recalibrated my speedometer with a Hypertech device - not sure if that will be possible on the 2021.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I've ordered a 2021 King Ranch with Powerboost and the Co-Pilot 360 active prep package.

I'm wondering what effect a lift and oversized tires might have on the Powerboost drivetrain/regen, etc. and also on the autonomous driving functionality. It seems like for the latter, accurate speed measurement would be necessary (and I know GPS can be used for that as well).

On my 2018, I recalibrated my speedometer with a Hypertech device - not sure if that will be possible on the 2021.

Thoughts?
I think going from a 275/60r20 to a 285/60r20 probably won’t have much of an impact. But I would bet that putting a lift with 35’s would cause an issue with the hands free driving. This probably isnt a good truck to do that with.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I think going from a 275/60r20 to a 285/60r20 probably won’t have much of an impact. But I would bet that putting a lift with 35’s would cause an issue with the hands free driving. This probably isnt a good truck to do that with.
Apt analysis, Tireman. That is something a lot of people might not think about. Honestly, it didn’t entirely occur to me either. You’re right the 285s will probably be a nominal (if any) difference. I’m not sure how you would even begin to recalibrate the electronics and the digital speedo to accommodate a lift and/or tires.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
The other X-Factor for a lift on a PowerBoost truck is that the transmission is pushed back / longer to wedge the electric motor and clutch between the transmission and torque convertor. This means the rear driveshaft is already shorter, and at a more severe angle to the rear differential. More than about a 2" lift could make the angle too severe for the U-Joints and induce some terrible driveline vibrations.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
The other X-Factor for a lift on a PowerBoost truck is that the transmission is pushed back / longer to wedge the electric motor and clutch between the transmission and torque convertor. This means the rear driveshaft is already shorter, and at a more severe angle to the rear differential. More than about a 2" lift could make the angle too severe for the U-Joints and induce some terrible driveline vibrations.
You raise an excellent point - one that I haven’t seen anywhere. Is it fair to say that a simple leveling kit (2” - 2.5”) won’t be an issue wrt the drive train?

I understand that, with a leveling kit, the figment will allow you to go from the stock 275/60R20’s (32.9”) to 275/65R20’s (34”). [Note that the stock tires are already 1” bigger than the 2020 F-150.]

If one is to try to go to 35” tires (275/65R20’s), I am pretty sure one would need a full lift kit of at least 2.5, perhaps 4”. I haven’t been able to confirm this yet but will keep hunting for a definitive answer.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
You raise an excellent point - one that I haven’t seen anywhere. Is it fair to say that a simple leveling kit (2” - 2.5”) won’t be an issue wrt the drive train?

I understand that, with a leveling kit, the figment will allow you to go from the stock 275/60R20’s (32.9”) to 275/65R20’s (34”). [Note that the stock tires are already 1” bigger than the 2020 F-150.]

If one is to try to go to 35” tires (275/65R20’s), I am pretty sure one would need a full lift kit of at least 2.5, perhaps 4”. I haven’t been able to confirm this yet but will keep hunting for a definitive answer.
(Correction: the 275/70R20’s are 35” dia.)

hunter406

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 3500, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Insurance Analyst
This has probably been posted but I wasn’t able to find the answer.

Does anyone know the largest tire I can run, without a lift or level, on the 20inch wheels that come with the lariat chrome package?

Further to this question, if anyone with experience in the snow could recommend a specific tire that looks bad a$# and is good in snowy conditions, that would be greatly appreciated. It would also be awesome to hear why the preferred tire is good for snow. The best thing about this community the the insane amount of knowledge that is shared.

OP
OP

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
This has probably been posted but I wasn’t able to find the answer.

Does anyone know the largest tire I can run, without a lift or level, on the 20inch wheels that come with the lariat chrome package?

Further to this question, if anyone with experience in the snow could recommend a specific tire that looks bad a$# and is good in snowy conditions, that would be greatly appreciated. It would also be awesome to hear why the preferred tire is good for snow. The best thing about this community the the insane amount of knowledge that is shared.
I've found the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W to be the best tires I've had on any car or tuck period. Every time I get a new truck I drive straight from the dealership to Discount Tire to have a set put on. They are quiet, perform awesome in wet or dry, wear evenly, and last forever. They are also made for winter/snow performance and carry the 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake Rating. I honestly could not speak higher about these tires. Btw, I live in Denver and make many trips into the mountains during the winter so I need a tire that performs well in winter/ice/snow conditions. I just saw you're from Montana, so you know... ha.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I would assume a 2" level is probably going to be fine on a PowerBoost truck, but that is total speculation. As is my assumption that a 4" lift would be too much and cause problems. No one will know for sure until someone has a truck in their hands to measure.

In general, if modifications are your thing, the PowerBoost may not be the right powertrain to order. A standard 3.5L EcoBoost will be easier to tune, and will tolerate lifts better. Both powertrains are awesome, but there are always tradeoffs, better fuel mileage for the PB means less tolerance for drastic mods. Pick your poison.

Having experienced a similar tradeoff on my EVO, you need to decide based on the assumption that the PB will not take well to the mods. If you choose a PB based on the assumption that it will just take longer, but eventually all the same mods will be available for the PB, you may be very disappointed if the mods never become available for the PB.

Margo17

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch
Does anyone know on the 2021 king ranch stock rims what their width is? Looking at new tires and rims, using the Wildpeaks. I’m thinking 10” on stock?

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I've found the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W to be the best tires I've had on any car or tuck period. Every time I get a new truck I drive straight from the dealership to Discount Tire to have a set put on. They are quiet, perform awesome in wet or dry, wear evenly, and last forever. They are also made for winter/snow performance and carry the 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake Rating. I honestly could not speak higher about these tires. Btw, I live in Denver and make many trips into the mountains during the winter so I need a tire that performs well in winter/ice/snow conditions. I just saw you're from Montana, so you know... ha.
Never considered Falken. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check them out.

fgutz3rd

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
Apt analysis, Tireman. That is something a lot of people might not think about. Honestly, it didn’t entirely occur to me either. You’re right the 285s will probably be a nominal (if any) difference. I’m not sure how you would even begin to recalibrate the electronics and the digital speedo to accommodate a lift and/or tires.
I bought my powerboost used with 25k miles on it and it came with a 3 inch lift and 35/12.5/R18LT and these tires weigh 69 pounds. Kills me on my mpg. Anyway. According to your statement, am I at risk of my truck being damaged because of the lift that was installed? I’m kinda new to the whole lifted trucks and big tires
Sponsored