First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
My 2022 platinum 150 is arriving today. I'm second owner with 4k miles. I'm a old hand at programming and tweaking everything I own.
I'm not opposed to buying the mongoose device but what options do I have to check if the truck has all the current updates before purchasing the cable. Luckily my truck is early 2022 without the heated SW delete. It's a 502a and only delete it shows is comfort seats and active park assist.
Blu cruse was available at build but I don't know if SW was installed.
There has been some here that can take the Vin and determine the available updates. How has that been accomplished? Is it through ford pass or a working copy of fdrs.
My Vin is 1FTFW1ED3NFB51770.
If I knew the process of looking this up I will otherwise thank you to who can provide the info.
The amount of pages of threads here is daunting. But I enjoy the read. 500.00 for the mongoose and temporary license is a bargain compared to having the dealer do it. Besides 75k truck vs a house. They both need support tools.
This is the thread that you need for this request: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/post-273495
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
I think the reason FDRS might say that is because the VIN has to be entered in using Forscan first. I’m going to use Forscan to make the changes, including entering in the VIN, then use FDRS to perform the PMI. I’m hoping this will clear the DTC. Well, once I get the HVAC and SCCM in my possession that it.

I realize the DTC is harmless, I just want to see if I can avoid it because OCD.
Well bad news for you. I swapped my HVAC module last month. Wrote my ASBuilt back into the new module, complete with VIN. That cleared the unprogrammed DTC. But the second DTC, I attempted to use FDRS to do the PMI. FDRS would not PMI the module because the part number for the module was different then what was supposed to be in the inventory for the truck. Only thing I could thing of doing to try and clear the DTC would be to reflash the module with Forscan. The flashing didn't work since Forscan would end right after it started with a procedure stopped error.

I haven't had time to mess with Forscan anymore. I've used it in the past to flash modules, but that was on my 2018.

The HVAC module works fine, and the truck displays no error messages. You only see the DTC when you scan the truck with FDRS or Forscan.

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
Well bad news for you. I swapped my HVAC module last month. Wrote my ASBuilt back into the new module, complete with VIN. That cleared the unprogrammed DTC. But the second DTC, I attempted to use FDRS to do the PMI. FDRS would not PMI the module because the part number for the module was different then what was supposed to be in the inventory for the truck. Only thing I could thing of doing to try and clear the DTC would be to reflash the module with Forscan. The flashing didn't work since Forscan would end right after it started with a procedure stopped error.

I haven't had time to mess with Forscan anymore. I've used it in the past to flash modules, but that was on my 2018.

The HVAC module works fine, and the truck displays no error messages. You only see the DTC when you scan the truck with FDRS or Forscan.
Well thats disappointing, but overall not a big deal because, as you mentioned, functionality is not affected and no check engine light is displayed. This only hurts my OCD.

I wonder what is done differently when compared to when the HCM (Headlight Control Module) is added to a vehicle that did not have originally have one? They require programming before they will work, but to my knowledge, nobody has a DTC from installing one of these?? Perhaps @Jesse-Infotainment has some insight on this?

Anyway, thanks for the update.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
I'm not opposed to buying the mongoose device but what options do I have to check if the truck has all the current updates before purchasing the cable.
You can compare what your truck DOES have (e.g., do you have Alexa built in?) with the Power-Up Version History @ Wikipedia, but that's very rudimentary and in no way covers every module in your truck.

Blu cruse was available at build but I don't know if SW was installed.
If it was equipped with the CoPilot hardware, it should have been working - it's a 2022.

There has been some here that can take the Vin and determine the available updates. How has that been accomplished? Is it through ford pass or a working copy of fdrs.
Only FDRS will show a complete list of all outstanding SW updates for any/every module in your truck.

FORScan is used for tweaking settings. FDRS is what the dealership (and some here) use for updating the module software to the latest released by Ford.

500.00 for the mongoose and temporary license is a bargain compared to having the dealer do it. Besides 75k truck vs a house. They both need support tools.
Don't forget the battery charger/maintainer w/power supply mode. Some updates take a long time and will abort if voltage drops too low. This is a very popular model that many here are using, available on Amazon for about $90:

Clore Automotive PL2320 20-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger

Heyben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
First off, thanks to everyone on this thread. I took the plunge and purchased the Mongoose, a windows laptop, power source, and the FDRS license to update a pretty big list of software. For anyone thinking about it, just go ahead it's not that difficult.

One question/concern: Ever since going through the process my Powerboost has been throwing up an error message stating a ground fault detection. Seems odd that this only started after going through the FDRS process. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? I tried resetting, but the error keeps popping up. Coincidence?

VIN: 1FTFW1EDXMFB04914

Sponsored

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I personally think it's a coincidence. I researched the ground fault issue pretty thoroughly. You didn't say when this error happens. All the time or when you try to hook up to external power panels.

Heyben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
I personally think it's a coincidence. I researched the ground fault issue pretty thoroughly. You didn't say when this error happens. All the time or when you try to hook up to external power panels.
Thanks for the Response Jeff. It's pretty much all the time, I haven't had the need to even try and use the outlets yet (2021, new to me a couple of weeks ago).

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Well thats disappointing, but overall not a big deal because, as you mentioned, functionality is not affected and no check engine light is displayed. This only hurts my OCD.

I wonder what is done differently when compared to when the HCM (Headlight Control Module) is added to a vehicle that did not have originally have one? They require programming before they will work, but to my knowledge, nobody has a DTC from installing one of these?? Perhaps @Jesse-Infotainment has some insight on this?

Anyway, thanks for the update.
I have several DTC’s on my HCM, I think 4 of them are for the auto level, and 1 might be for the “module not programmed” or something like that. I can’t remember what they are off the top of my head and I didn’t take inventory of them. BUT this does not affect headlamp functionality aside from not auto leveling. I still have the turning headlamps, low beam, high beams, DRL’s, turn signals and even glare free is activated.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
First off, thanks to everyone on this thread. I took the plunge and purchased the Mongoose, a windows laptop, power source, and the FDRS license to update a pretty big list of software. For anyone thinking about it, just go ahead it's not that difficult.

One question/concern: Ever since going through the process my Powerboost has been throwing up an error message stating a ground fault detection. Seems odd that this only started after going through the FDRS process. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? I tried resetting, but the error keeps popping up. Coincidence?

VIN: 1FTFW1EDXMFB04914
Have you had wet weather/slushy roads recently? Some people report this when the wiring harness gets saturated.

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
I have several DTC’s on my HCM, I think 4 of them are for the auto level, and 1 might be for the “module not programmed” or something like that. I can’t remember what they are off the top of my head and I didn’t take inventory of them. BUT this does not affect headlamp functionality aside from not auto leveling. I still have the turning headlamps, low beam, high beams, DRL’s, turn signals and even glare free is activated.
Sounds accurate. It's great news that the functionality is working, but I will probably continue to find out if there is a way to avoid, erase, repair the DTC either way. It will be curious to see if when we get the ride height modules wired in if the auto level DTC will disappear? I assume it will.

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Sounds accurate. It's great news that the functionality is working, but I will probably continue to find out if there is a way to avoid, erase, repair the DTC either way. It will be curious to see if when we get the ride height modules wired in if the auto level DTC will disappear? I assume it will.
Yea that’s my assumption as well

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I was thinking specifically when a bunch of us had F120 fail to load on our IPC and got stuck in liMbo. We had initially thought forscan changes to IPC had caused that. later several with no changes got stuck the same way. Your situation had slipped my mind. I have corrected my post.
Little lost on IPC, I'm updating modules right now, but don't see IPC? Is that a other program? Where will I see that?

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Im on Gate Way Module, inserted exfat formatted blank San Disk USB into computer after it downloaded the files from FDRS and copied it in file manager to the Thumb drive. Removed drive from laptop and Inserted into truck.

Sync came up and said updating and u could drive the truck while it was doing it. FDRS instructions on the screen say after I get update complete from Sync, wait 10 minutes before then turning Key on Engine on (KOER) is their acronym. Then leave it run for at least 5 minutes. We shall see.

Last edited: