First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
I have resisted going down the FDRS path but, alas, a Mongoose comes tomorrow. I have a feeling this is going to take awhile. I haven't had an update since 1.7.1. It looks like the dealer performed the module update repair but nothing else. Does anybody have a guess which modules will take the longest? I plan on working the list top to bottom but I just want to have an idea if one will take a while and I can step away from the truck for a little bit. I really hope these updates will unlock the OTA updates which clearly have not been happening.
1668534347204.png
I don't have the latest document but this should shed some light on the subject.
Sponsored

Attachments

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
1FTFW1E58MFC14482

Not sure about ford here, f150 is not sold. I can ask the two dealers around, but they’ll probably hit me with the US spec answer. Their repairs don’t even show in service history.

Before I could try to activate in Fordpass App and it just failed. After buying extended warranty from Granger I can no try to activate. Says I need to take delivery of vehicle first.
13 Jul '21 build date.

Here's the list of available updates:
Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1FTFW1E58MFC14482-15-Nov-22

Mike

Cheez_Greater

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
BI Developer
I have resisted going down the FDRS path but, alas, a Mongoose comes tomorrow. I have a feeling this is going to take awhile. I haven't had an update since 1.7.1. It looks like the dealer performed the module update repair but nothing else. Does anybody have a guess which modules will take the longest? I plan on working the list top to bottom but I just want to have an idea if one will take a while and I can step away from the truck for a little bit. I really hope these updates will unlock the OTA updates which clearly have not been happening.
1668534347204.png
I do have one maybe silly question. Do the modules stand alone so I can stop midway through this list? Like say I finish the 3rd update and need to stop or use the truck for some reason. Can I stop, disconnect the truck, and then pick up later where I stopped.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
I do have one maybe silly question. Do the modules stand alone so I can stop midway through this list? Like say I finish the 3rd update and need to stop or use the truck for some reason. Can I stop, disconnect the truck, and then pick up later where I stopped.
With that set of updates, yes. If you were updating to Blue Cruise there was a chain of updates that triggered one after the other. I would set a big chunk of time aside for the IPMA, it takes 3 hours if memory serves me right.

Bdubbs1198

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
There are some that are multi linked. i cant recall which ines, but it does warn you. It says that the update affects multiple modules or something like that. The APIMs are the longest. I probably spent like 10+ hours updating from 1.7.1 to 3.5.3. The TCU update will bring me to 3.5.4 but alas I ran out of time.

Sponsored

Cheez_Greater

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
BI Developer
There are some that are multi linked. i cant recall which ines, but it does warn you. It says that the update affects multiple modules or something like that. The APIMs are the longest. I probably spent like 10+ hours updating from 1.7.1 to 3.5.3. The TCU update will bring me to 3.5.4 but alas I ran out of time.
10+ hours. Yikes. With the APIM updates, did you have to periodically perform some action to continue the update or was it just running for the straight amount of time?

I'm glad I went this path. I would never see the truck again if I had the dealer do it. It somehow (I know how, they didn't work on it until late in the first day and they waited until mid afternoon the second day) took them 2 days to do the 1.7.1 unstick.

Last edited:

Bdubbs1198

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
10+ hours. Yikes. With the APIM updates, did you have to periodically perform some action to continue the update or was it just running for the straight amount of time?

I'm glad I went this path. I would never see the truck again if I had the dealer do it. It somehow (I know how, they didn't work on it until late in the first day and they waited until mid afternoon the second day) took them 2 days to do the 1.7.1 unstick.
Yes, you can walk away during the download but make sure you have a charger hooked up with 10amps and the laptop is charged. I would check in every 15 minutes or so for the APIM downloads. Some were faster than others.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru

I was able to get a little crafty with mine since the APIM is such a large download. I got the programming started and once it got to the part in FDRS where it was happy and saw everything on the truck side, then once it started downloading the gigantic file, I just disconnected my mongoose USB, turned my truck off, then took my laptop back inside with it still doing its download thing happy as can be. Then once it go to the USB sync part, it did that just fine, then once it told me to stick the USB in the truck I just canceled out of the procedure and did that part the next day. Keep in mind this only works on updates that go through and utilize a USB mainly.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, it did for me first try, and I think the trick might have been I stayed connected to wifi the whole time. As I tried it when updating another truck and it didn't like that as much and errored out, but that time I was hotspotting off my phone in a parking lot and trying to run around doing other things at the same time, so wasn't surprised.

Last edited:

Cheez_Greater

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
BI Developer
I was able to get a little crafty with mine since the APIM is such a large download. I got the programming started and once it got to the part in FDRS where it was happy and saw everything on the truck side, then once it started downloading the gigantic file, I just disconnected my mongoose USB, turned my truck off, then took my laptop back inside with it still doing its download thing happy as can be. Then once it go to the USB sync part, it did that just fine, then once it told me to stick the USB in the truck I just canceled out of the procedure and did that part the next day.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, it did for me first try, and I think the trick might have been I stayed connected to wifi the whole time. As I tried it when updating another truck and it didn't like that as much and errored out, but that time I was hotspotting off my phone in a parking lot and trying to run around doing other things at the same time, so wasn't surprised.
I might give that a shot. I'm updating the IPMA now and got tired of going back and forth to the garage. I got the idea of taking another laptop and using remote desktop to remote into the computer connected to the truck. That way I can keep tabs on progress in the house.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I might give that a shot. I'm updating the IPMA now and got tired of going back and forth to the garage. I got the idea of taking another laptop and using remote desktop to remote into the computer connected to the truck. That way I can keep tabs on progress in the house.
Haha good call, that was almost my same idea when I did mine, just use teamviewer and stay inside, but I was more anxious/excited to see it through so just waited out the whole hour 45 update time with a beverage or two and watched it creep along slowly.

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I was able to get a little crafty with mine since the APIM is such a large download. I got the programming started and once it got to the part in FDRS where it was happy and saw everything on the truck side, then once it started downloading the gigantic file, I just disconnected my mongoose USB, turned my truck off, then took my laptop back inside with it still doing its download thing happy as can be. Then once it go to the USB sync part, it did that just fine, then once it told me to stick the USB in the truck I just canceled out of the procedure and did that part the next day. Keep in mind this only works on updates that go through and utilize a USB mainly.

I've also disconnected the laptop from my truck and brought it in the house during larger down loads and that works great.
But after completion of the USB install, powering down the truck waiting a 1/2 hour and restarting the truck. I've always reconnected the current FDRS session first. At this point FDRS is waiting for a "yes" to installation complete. Then FDRS goes back through the odb connection and says "programming " which i assume means its making as built changes that may be nessacery to support the new softwares feature from the update i.e. "cams in motion" or similar, following that it runs a file validation routine and reports a successful install to the Ford cloud.
Are you actually saying to skip the FDRS reconnection post completion of the USB install?

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
I've also disconnected the laptop from my truck and brought it in the house during larger down loads and that works great.
But after completion of the USB install, powering down the truck waiting a 1/2 hour and restarting the truck. I've always reconnected the current FDRS session first. At this point FDRS is waiting for a "yes" to installation complete. Then FDRS goes back through the odb connection and says "programming " which i assume means its making as built changes that may be nessacery to support the new softwares feature from the update i.e. "cams in motion" or similar, following that it runs a file validation routine and reports a successful install to the Ford cloud.
Are you actually saying to skip the FDRS reconnection post completion of the USB install?
Glad to hear you found the same trick as well. No, I always reconnect FDRS after the USB update is all done then restart the APIM programming so it can actually "finish" the update on that side of it. I don't think it does much like you said, other that tidies up a few thing and actually makes sure the update is complete so it can mark it as such in FDRS and report that back. I actually completely closed out of FDRS then fired it all back up once the USB update was done and no issue there, update finished right up after it saw the USB portion was done.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Glad to hear you found the same trick as well. No, I always reconnect FDRS after the USB update is all done then restart the APIM programming so it can actually "finish" the update on that side of it. I don't think it does much like you said, other that tidies up a few thing and actually makes sure the update is complete so it can mark it as such in FDRS and report that back. I actually completely closed out of FDRS then fired it all back up once the USB update was done and no issue there, update finished right up after it saw the USB portion was done.
Ok, but how are you able to close out your current FDRS session and then be able to go back and pick up where you left off with out running the entire routine again? If you start a new session FDRS will see that the current software has been installed and not offer continuation. At this point it would be a mess, because FDRS sees current software but yet the vehicle specific as built settings were never made from the first attempt! So essentially all that happened was that new software was installed, yet all vehicle settings were skip. Correct me if I'm wrong here, I really understand how you're doing this.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Ok, but how are you able to close out your current FDRS session and then be able to go back and pick up where you left off with out running the entire routine again? If you start a new session FDRS will see that the current software has been installed and not offer continuation. At this point it would be a mess, because FDRS sees current software but yet the vehicle specific as built settings were never made from the first attempt! So essentially all that happened was that new software was installed, yet all vehicle settings were skip. Correct me if I'm wrong here, I really understand how you're doing this.
I'm trying to remember how I did this a month ago so bear with me. Once I got to the step in FDRS where it say to remove the USB from the computer and put it in the pickup to continue the update, I think I just tried to continue it until it errored out and disconnected, or I just hit cancel, and this was all with my laptop inside and not connect to the truck. Anyways, then let the USB update do its thing and APIM is all updated. Hooked up and fired up FDRS again, started the APIM update again from anew, it must check the current version of the APIM which is the updated once so it doesn't need to go through the whole USB process again, finishes up it programming and then was all done. It sees that the new APIM software is there, but the update hasn't finished yet on the FDRS side of things so it just picks back up and keep on chugging where it would have left of anyways. If there was any asbuilt changes it would do them in the last and final step. So it did them once I hooked back up to finish the update.