First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
So the solution is to get the guy in trouble with his credit card company? Hasn’t he already been screwed enough? Ford wouldn’t be the one suffering. It would turn a fight with Ford into a fight with his creditors, who did nothing wrong.
No, I was trying to admit you were right in a humorous way, guess the tone didn’t traverse the internet very well.
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
here is a thread about the CSP related to the BCM update

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ded-tailgate-opening.10725/page-2#post-249783

So people will be trying to take their trucks in for this. This thread started in May it seems. SO anyone that was thinking the BCM update isnt ready to install or shouldnt be installed because there isnt anything pertaining to it. Well Id say there is. Its showing in peoples FordPass and the OP had a letter since MAY!
Unfortunately, Ford has protected itself, even though it released bad software. Letters and FordPass notices were affirmatively pushed out only to people who experienced tailgate releases in the past, went in for a fix, and continued to experience problems. Not everyone got these notices. And the notices themselves only said to expect a fix sometime in late Q3, not that it was ready for install. In fact, the notices said just the opposite—that the preparations were still underway and that they’d get another notice when everything was good to go:

“Ford Motor Company is finalizing repair instructions and working closely with its suppliers to produce parts for this repair. When the repair instructions and parts become available, Ford Motor Company will notify you via mail letting you know that if you are experiencing unintended tailgate opening to schedule a service appointment with your dealer. This is anticipated to be available late in the 3rd quarter of 2022.”

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214132-0001.pdf. I’m not aware of anyone getting that second “bombs away” notice to make an apointment to come in for a fix. So, Ford has unfortunately—but cleverly—left itself with the defense that even though it released bad software, anyone who applied it jumped the gun. Ford was negligent, but not stupid.

Foxtrot150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 302A PB SCrew 6.5
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214132-0001.pdf. I’m not aware of anyone getting that second “bombs away” notice to make an apointment to come in for a fix. So, Ford has unfortunately—but cleverly—left itself with the defense that even though it released bad software, anyone who applied it jumped the gun. Ford was negligent, but not stupid.
I just received a notice yesterday that parts are now available for 21M08. I'm not experiencing the issue but received the notice.

Edit: attached some potato quality pics of the notice

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 2

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I just received a notice yesterday that parts are now available for 21M08. I'm not experiencing the issue but received the notice.

Edit: attached some potato quality pics of the notice

1.png

2.png
THANK YOU!!

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So, I have looked at the Tailgate CSP. It also involves wiring. Its going to be a disaster. I already know it. Those of you with power release ONLY are the ones affected. If you have power Release and close your truck is not apart of this.

The wiring is a pretty big job. They have to run from BCM to taiilgate and populate pins into several SEVERAL connectors along that path. I even see a picture of a 1 1/2 inch hole saw drilling to the truck at some point. So, get ready for some issues. I cant fix those issues either because I cant remote in and control the tech to run the wiring correctly.

Be careful guys with this one. Thats all I can say.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
So, I have looked at the Tailgate CSP. It also involves wiring. Its going to be a disaster. I already know it. Those of you with power release ONLY are the ones affected. If you have power Release and close your truck is not apart of this.

The wiring is a pretty big job. They have to run from BCM to taiilgate and populate pins into several SEVERAL connectors along that path. I even see a picture of a 1 1/2 inch hole saw drilling to the truck at some point. So, get ready for some issues. I cant fix those issues either because I cant remote in and control the tech to run the wiring correctly.

Be careful guys with this one. Thats all I can say.
So you mean power release + power close?

I have power release only...I have to manually close it. So far I've not had a problem with power release.

How crucial is this CSP to do? Because based on what I'm reading, I definitely want no part in it unless my tailgate has a high chance of failing.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So you mean power release + power close?

I have power release only...I have to manually close it. So far I've not had a problem with power release.

How crucial is this CSP to do? Because based on what I'm reading, I definitely want no part in it unless my tailgate has a high chance of failing.
Yes, if you have the power release and power close tailgate you are not affected.

Power release only is affected.

The urgency is something you have to decide. All I can really do is forwarn and tell you its not a simple update only it does involve a lot of wiring. I can already see the problems. I said the BC 21G01 was going to be a disaster. I was right. This will be jsut as bad but multiplied.

We will see. I hope I am wrong I really do

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Yes, if you have the power release and power close tailgate you are not affected.

Power release only is affected.

The urgency is something you have to decide. All I can really do is forwarn and tell you its not a simple update only it does involve a lot of wiring. I can already see the problems. I said the BC 21G01 was going to be a disaster. I was right. This will be jsut as bad but multiplied.

We will see. I hope I am wrong I really do
Only thing that worries me more than a tech with a laptop is a tech with a laptop and a hole saw. Thanks for the warning.

Sponsored

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
There's at least 3 different users in this forum who've bricked a BCM at some point over the last few years. It's true that replacing the BCM will result in another dead BCM. The regular process will load the old corrupt data onto the replacement, but all of those owners got through it even if it took their dealership 12 weeks and 3-4 tries.

User i8iridium went through a few BCM's with his dealership before they finally followed his specific instructions to skip the PMI and manually configure everything, but IDS was used then and FRDS no longer has the manual configuration option to my knowledge.

Unfortunately, dealerships have a very specific set process they can't deviate from with warranty work. Personally I find it very frustrating to look directly at a problem, know how to fix it and being forced to do nothing until someone 2,000 miles away finally says it's ok to proceed 8 days later.

Still, everyone that has had a bricked BCM replaced in the past few years that I know of, had their dealership do so under warranty without any issues (even when it was known to be the owners fault). So I'm a tad bit skeptical that an owner being charged for a BCM replacement in this instance would apply the same to everyone.

I think a specific dealership might be screwing the guy. I would encourage they fight back any charges given the circumstances.

Maybe 100 of us can sign an endorsement letter explaining why he shouldn't be at fault.

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Another dealer in Dallas has now bricked a BCM.

lexionman575

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum powerboost
I thought I had bricked mine today. I ordered all the stuff to do the updates when this thread was on about page 15 and was unaware of the BCM issue. I was able to run the module replace procedure and just said no when it asked if the old module was installed and thank god that brought it back to life. If anyone thinks that might save theirs I can send you a little better instructions as to what I did exactly.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I thought I had bricked mine today. I ordered all the stuff to do the updates when this thread was on about page 15 and was unaware of the BCM issue. I was able to run the module replace procedure and just said no when it asked if the old module was installed and thank god that brought it back to life. If anyone thinks that might save theirs I can send you a little better instructions as to what I did exactly.
I’d be interested in seeing what you did. Several people have tried unbricking the BCM, including @Jesse-Infotainment, using a PMI and answering ”no” to original module and it hasn’t worked on the Powerboost. What did you do differently?

By any chance did you make FORScan changes (e.g., double honk delete, Bambi, etc.) before updating or was the BCM configuration stock and unchanged?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I’d be interested in seeing what you did. Several people have tried unbricking the BCM, including @Jesse-Infotainment, using a PMI and answering ”no” to original module and it hasn’t worked on the Powerboost. What did you do differently?

By any chance did you make FORScan changes (e.g., double honk delete, Bambi, etc.) before updating or was the BCM configuration stock and unchanged?

I’d want to see the logs. Because the PMI has not fixed anything to that point of yesterday afternoon.

If you think for a second that this exact process that I have told everyone to do 100 times wasn’t tried you are crazy.

Also the dealer has to do a PMI when they replace the BCM. They already tried in the Dallas situation.
Sponsored

Last edited: