Sponsored

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
Yeap - same reason they wouldn't touch that TSB for me as well as noted above. Pretty annoying I'd say but I guess I'll have to keep it current myself
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning -Lariat ER, Model 3
Occupation
IT
This is common and not limited to Ford. Most dealers regardless of manufacturer will not update a module just because it is out of date. To get reimbursed by the manufacturer, the dealer has to show that the new software will fix a specific customer complaint so they can bill it as a “repair.”

Compounding the problem in your case is that your truck does not appear to have BlueCruise. If it did, the dealer would have been required to update more modules to get BC activated and functioning properly.
So the big question here is CAN Ford get these stale modules updated with OTA updates? Or is FDRS the only way to reach some of the modules in the truck to get an update to them? Curious if a couple of the more seasoned folks that know how this works can chime in?

Each of these modules has to communicate in some way or FDRS wouldn't be able to see them. If FDRS can see them why wouldn't Ford be able to deliver an OTA with messages to the Gateway or which ever appropriate module on how to update?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
So the big question here is CAN Ford get these stale modules updated with OTA updates? Or is FDRS the only way to reach some of the modules in the truck to get an update to them? Curious if a couple of the more seasoned folks that know how this works can chime in?

Each of these modules has to communicate in some way or FDRS wouldn't be able to see them. If FDRS can see them why wouldn't Ford be able to deliver an OTA with messages to the Gateway or which ever appropriate module on how to update?
According to data that @tonesto7 ’s app helpfully flags, nearly 1/4 (8 of 35) of the modules in my truck are not updatable OTA. So, FDRS would be the only way to reach them. Those modules on my truck are: ACCM, BECM, DCDC, GSM, OCSM, PACM, RGTM, and TCCM. Why that is, I don’t know.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
According to data that @tonesto7 ’s app helpfully flags, nearly 1/4 (8 of 35) of the modules in my truck are not updatable OTA. So, FDRS would be the only way to reach them. Those modules on my truck are: ACCM, BECM, DCDC, GSM, OCSM, PACM, RGTM, and TCCM. Why that is, I don’t know.
Thank you and that is the disappointing part about Ford and we know they plan on leaving these trucks with issues. If Ford has found they need to update the module, then I don't think you can say that it shouldn't be pushed /updated to the trucks. If there is no benefit in getting it to the truck, then why did they see the need to update it.

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
A couple new updates for 2021 F150 5.0l 302a with 8” cluster came out this morning. ABS & BCM

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1659803545778

Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1659803574530

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thank you and that is the disappointing part about Ford and we know they plan on leaving these trucks with issues. If Ford has found they need to update the module, then I don't think you can say that it shouldn't be pushed /updated to the trucks. If there is no benefit in getting it to the truck, then why did they see the need to update it.
The sudden (and recent) arrival of OTA might imply that the manufacturer intends for every vehicle they manufacture to be kept up to date on every software update for every module.

But that's never been true historically before OTA.

Sure, a TSB or Recall might be an update that the manufacturer would support 100% compliance and the dealership efforts required to deliver, but that's still a long ways off from all vehicles having all available updates all the time.

OTA definitely changes our expectations.
This thread and the rapid expansion of autonomy that it affords the customer has only increased those expectations. But I don't know if we can say that Ford expects every F150 they build to have every available update be installed. Of course I do, simply because I can decide for myself. (Regardless if OTA can or will be the delivery method)

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The sudden (and recent) arrival of OTA might imply that the manufacturer intends for every vehicle they manufacture to be kept up to date on every software update for every module.

But that's never been true historically before OTA.

Sure, a TSB or Recall might be an update that the manufacturer would support 100% compliance and the dealership efforts required to deliver, but that's still a long ways off from all vehicles having all available updates all the time.

OTA definitely changes our expectations.
This thread and the rapid expansion of autonomy that it affords the customer has only increased those expectations. But I don't know if we can say that Ford expects every F150 they build to have every available update be installed. Of course I do, simply because I can decide for myself. (Regardless if OTA can or will be the delivery method)
I'm driving a Lightning now (it happens to already be in the shop - different thread and forum), but since these trucks and the last couple of years of the ICE 150 depend so much on SW it just shows how Ford is missing the mark. They've had 10 years to copy and study Tesla and they are still so far behind they can't even see the taillights. if you want to make excuses for them, we will always get what we already have.

They have a chance in '23 as they upgrade to the Android OS or one more as they completely revamp the EV version. Will see if they will compete or fold.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
In preparation for the FDRS updating path which I will probably be going down I need to get a charger/maintainer, for which I know very little about. I have read that it should be at least 5 amps and support AGM batteries. This one is fairly cheap and looks like it foots the bill for my limited needs.

Anyone see any problems with this. Thanks.

Schumacher Electric Fully Automatic Rapid Battery Charger and Maintainer – 8 Amp, 12V - Walmart.com
I do. Weak—only 8 amps—and no ability to run in power supply mode. I’d stick with the one @iceman77 recommended when he started this thread: the Clore Automotive PL2320 20A charger. https://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-PL2320-Battery-Maintainer-20/dp/B007ESQW08/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3ROCD3C7J2F9&keywords=solar+20A+battery+charger&qid=1659813596&sprefix=solar+20a+battery+charger,aps,73&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840. Prices have gone up for the Clore but occasionally (not currently) you can get the exact same charger from Napa under its Carlyle brand for less. CPL2320 at Napa.

The power demands for programming are not the same as they are for charging.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Man, Mach E & Lightning trucks are getting Power Up 3.3 and beyond and we are just sitting here at 2.8.3. Granted it's just Alexa, but still where's them updates for us.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Man, Mach E & Lightning trucks are getting Power Up 3.3 and beyond and we are just sitting here at 2.8.3. Granted it's just Alexa, but still where's them updates for us.
You are a glutton for punishment. You know you won‘t get Alexa. Ford will probably push you something that came out around the time of the Palm Pilot with really cool features, like an abacus.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
You are a glutton for punishment. You know you won‘t get Alexa. Ford will probably push you something that came out around the time of the Palm Pilot with really cool features, like an abacus.
Hahahah ain't that the truth

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Has anyone had trouble activating your FDRS license? I've downloaded all of the software and purchased a license but when I try and activate it it fails. I've double checked all network & firewall settings but it won't work.

When I purchased the 2 Day license there wasn't a FDRS version, just the FJDS version but my understanding was that the license is the same. I followed the links in this thread and directly from the Mastercraft site but this is all I see:
Ford F-150 ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1659818886653

I'm assuming its operator error (isn't it always?) but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Has anyone had trouble activating your FDRS license? I've downloaded all of the software and purchased a license but when I try and activate it it fails. I've double checked all network & firewall settings but it won't work.

When I purchased the 2 Day license there wasn't a FDRS version, just the FJDS version but my understanding was that the license is the same. I followed the links in this thread and directly from the Mastercraft site but this is all I see:
1659818886653.png

I'm assuming its operator error (isn't it always?) but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.
Did you set up accounts on both websites—the one where you bought the software and motorcraftservice.com? You can use the same credentials for both accounts for convenience, but you need to set up an account here http://www2.helminc.com/ngsm/login....4119969BB71E08853AE2&from=ford&src=motorcraft AND here https://www.motorcraftservice.com/. You use the credentials you set up on motorcraftservice.com to log into FDRS.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Did you set up accounts on both websites—the one where you bought the software and motorcraftservice.com? You can use the same credentials for both accounts for convenience, but you need to set up an account here http://www2.helminc.com/ngsm/login....4119969BB71E08853AE2&from=ford&src=motorcraft AND here https://www.motorcraftservice.com/. You use the credentials you set up on motorcraftservice.com to log into FDRS.
I haven’t created the second account yet as I haven’t been able to get that far in FDRS. I get the add a license pop-up but am unable to get it to verify my license. My only options are to check network settings and quit.

**Edit: It turns out I did have a Motorcraft Service ID but still no difference in adding the license to FDRS
Sponsored

Last edited: